Possible Pipe bomb explosion/attack in NYC

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by KnightBrolaire, Dec 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I don't really have much of an issue with much of that, but it's seriously odd that he seems to be off topic in threads more often than he is on topic. At least from what I've noticed.

2. Randy

Randy ROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOU Super Moderator

FWIW, I'm not sure if it's been published anywhere on this forum already but when Alex made the transition to Xenforo, he fucked up the moderator tools so that it's hard for us to ban anybody (besides spam), so we have to formally submit all bans to him, but he doesn't log in all the time or bother reading the threads in question, so you have a lot of policing that's done 1.) at too slow a pace 2.) significantly less heavy handed as is needed to keep posters respectful of the format on here.

As such, for the last 8 or so years I've been modding here, I'd typically have just threatened UtF to keep on topic but considering it took several days before the ban that was submitted to Alex went through and it wasn't permanent like suggested, it's very hard to regulate decorum in here. If anybody's ever wondered why overly controversial subjects on here that go too far off top get get deleted lately, that's why.

MFB, USMarine75 and StevenC like this.
  3. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Well I don't have a problem with it per se, but if you're basically working under different base assumptions on a topic, then you can't come in and try to push that on to people, because that wasn't the topic. i.e., in a thread about oil pipelines, don't take it as an opportunity to talk about how the earth is 5000 years old and God gave us the oil, and climate change isn't real. In a thread about education reform, don't take this as the moment to push how all public education is part of a large scale brainwashing experiment to enslave the masses, and so forth.

And so in threads about government policy, we shouldn't repeatedly have to listen to how the government is not really the government we all know, how it's a conspiracy which goes back 500 years, involving secret lodges and what have you. Because we can't have a discourse about the topic when arguing about the merit of the conspiracy (which can sometimes be fun). Like @Unleash The Fury -- just start your own thread for espousing your minority beliefs.

4. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

Its only me, right? No one else is guilty just me.....roll eyes. Actually please show me the last time someone talked about this attack in nyc in this thread. I just make certain observations, people dont like them so they argue with me about them; subsequentley i respond to them

5. Spaced Out Ace

ie, "Don't spoil my thread with your different viewpoints. :( "

6. narad

narad SS.org Regular

That's completely the wrong way to interpret it. Different viewpoints should be relevant to the topic to be posted in that topic. i.e., if we're arguing about what the best pizza topping is, we can have different opinions on the topic, but don't start a 3 page derailment on how pizza isn't real that undermines that discussion.

7. Spaced Out Ace

Talking about public schools in an education reform thread is, uh... on topic. You are also neglecting this great comment, which you ended your post with.

Hence my interpretation of your comment. It's not "completely the wrong way to interpret it;" it's entirely as you meant your comment.

8. Unleash The Fury

Yes this thread got off topic, but your part of the problem (if it is a problem at all). For example if i post 20 times in this thread, and you respond to each post (however off topic it may be), then you are just as guilty. You cant jump in on post 21 and say, get your own thread after you just contributed.

So how about that pipe bomb explosion......

9. Spaced Out Ace

Fucking hell.

No offense to you or the other mods intended, and I tend to like the new forums, but he basically made you guys glorified hall monitors. That really sucks.

10. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Yea, too bad we're not doing that. At all. We're unfortunately talking about the fed's true intentions and whether they operate as the result of a long-standing government conspiracy in a thread about a thwarted terrorist attack.

But yea, I do contribute to it sprawling out into more pages than it otherwise might. I still think the blame falls on the people who put forth the off-topic conspiracy BS in threads which are meant to discuss a very particular event or policy. I'm not a mod -- I would rather try and argue against the conspiracy with the hope that logic would defeat it and get the topic back on track. It's not really my place to say, there's already a conspiracy thread -- keep your conspiracy discussions in it. That said, the forums would benefit a lot if you/UtF did. It's all the same posts anyway, they'd just be in an appropriate place.

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

No. I think backing a currency with the strength of a country's commitment to honor and defend its currency is perfectly reasonable, that the true value of a currency is how readily and efficiently it can be used as a means of exchange and the dollar scores extremely highly by that metric, and considering the US Dollar is the de facto reserve currency of the world, then it seems that billions of other people agree with me.

And with that, I'll honor Randy's polite hint that maybe we should try to stay on topic. :lol:

12. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

A rare point where you and I agree. :lol: Randy's a saint for putting up with this job. Back when I modded here we were unabashed all-powerful forum nazis, and it certainly made it a lot easier to keep things in line. :lol:

Randy and USMarine75 like this.
  13. Unleash The Fury

One last thing that needs to be mentioned, which ive already mentioned in another thread ( not because i want to turn every thread into a conspiracy thread like narad said), but the reason why the dollar is the world reserve currency, is by force! Not because every leader of every country came together and said, "hey you know this american dollar that is backed only by debt? We should make this the reserve currency because its the greatest!!".

Well, no. Nobody has ever said that.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  14. Spaced Out Ace

Drew, you were a tyrant! Still are...

No, no... I'm just messing with you. :lol:

15. Unleash The Fury

A permanent ban for what exactly? And without a warning at that? Sheeesh thats a little unnecessary

16. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins (*Block version, not sig) Contributor

https://www.thebalance.com/what-is-a-reserve-currency-1978926

vs

[​IMG]

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  17. Spaced Out Ace

There's an old fossil who needs to kick the bucket. I hope he does soon enough.

18. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Careful, I could probably still get someone to ban you as a favor. :lol:

@USMarine75 - I mean, while the article you post is compelling, thoughtful, detailed, and thorough, it has the major downside of not being a meme. #fakenews.

(We'll also note that a quick google search pegs global GDP at around $80 trillion dollars, making a $500 trillion dollar family net worth ludicrous, unless the Rothschilds are holding out on alien conquest)

StevenC and narad like this.
  19. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins (*Block version, not sig) Contributor

I should have been more clear my post was meant to be ludacrous internet meme vs factual lol.

20. Randy

Randy ROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOU Super Moderator

Even when I had unchecked mod powers, I seldom banned anybody and only permanent in extreme cases. If you use a "community policing" approach, most of the members behavior and learn to get along out of respect for each other, for the replace and yeah, out of respect for not making the mods job too difficult. We're all here with the interest of making this place a decent place to hang out, regardless of if we disagree from time to time.

Banning only comes in when you have regulars that push the boundary too much and typically rule abiding members follow suit to chase them down ("Fuck you" "No, fuck you!"), when you need to knock everybody's heads together to get everyone remembering why we're here and how we're supposed to talk to each other to maintain some decorum.

Or in other cases, when you get new guys who don't get the dynamic here and don't care to stick around long enough to learn it. It learned a lot about talking to people the way you'd talk to them in person when I went to an event and a couple people I was combative with on this forum were there in person. If you're not willing to talk to a person a certain way in person, don't talk to them that way on here. Some people don't get that.

Notice that correlation between inability to ban (well, we still can but it's 10x as much work) and the P&CE descending into chaos. Yes UtF is the chronic OT cause right now but there's been others. I've been on this forum for over 10 years and this subforum has only gone off the rails the last several months; not a coincidence.

StevenC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.