Please Help! hum/buzz... is it my amp or pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by ctmetal01, Dec 4, 2012.

1. ctmetal01

ctmetal01 SS.org Regular

Hey so I was hoping someone could help me out...

I have an ibanez seven string and I put active blackouts in it. I plug into a B-52 at100 with a Behringer cab. When I use the clean tone there's no noise, but when I switch over to a gain channel there is a ridiculous amount of feedback and buzz. I run a Boss noise supressor which sort of helps but there is still an obnoxious buzz, and when I try to play really tight chugging patterns, there is still some feedback getting through. When I turn the gain down there is less buzz, but of course this kills my tone.

Any tips or thoughts would be helpful.

2. Overtone

Overtone SS.org Regular

Could be a lot of things, from the sound of the gear, to your pickup wiring, to a bad tube in the amp. Have you tried the process of elimination?

3. Whammy

Whammy SS.org Regular

True, it could be a load of different options.
    Did the guitar previously have active pickups or passive?

4. Scattered Messiah

Scattered Messiah Kassandrian Dreams

1) did it also occur before the pickup swap?
    2) does his happen without effects? (if yes, then leave the pedals out for the rest of the search - if not, it's one of the pedals)
    3) does it happen with another cable? (if yes, then go on - if not, it's obviously the cable)
    4) does it happen with another guitar? (if yes, then go on - if not, it's your guitar)
    5) where on the amp can you dial in the most noise? the gain, the volume or the master volume?
    that covers most sources of noise, I guess...
    other sources might be the powercable overlapping the speakercable and being poorly shielded.

if it's the guitar, try wiring the pickups straight to the jack, and see if i still happens

hope this helps :)

5. ctmetal01

ctmetal01 SS.org Regular

Hey so I just thought I would respond you know, three years later hahaha it was a bad resistor in the amp. I tried looking at the wiring in the guitar, and replacing a couple tubes and I finally took it to someone that helped me out. I dont even use the head anymore, but I still have it... the thing sounds awesome for what it is.