Pickups for rg652 KFX

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by TheUnknownOne, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

Duncan won't use a Dimarzio baseplate, but will modify their own to fit perfectly.

2. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Okay, so they'll modify their own to look more natural than the hack job I'm sure I would do! Ha!

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire schadenfreude

The tabs are the most common issue for pickups ime, although I have had to take a dremel and lop off some excess screw length on duncans to get them to sit flush in my guitars. Either way, they're pretty easy mods.

TheShreddinHand likes this.
  4. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

Yeah, I also think they actually have baseplates that you can order on your pickup already with the triangular tabs. Otherwise, many people just use a Dremel, but I don't know if I could do that well.

TheShreddinHand likes this.
  5. TheUnknownOne

TheUnknownOne SS.org Regular

So after numerous tries I did not manage to fit the SH6, might be the fact I'm pretty clumsy with powertools or just my made in china 30 bucks dremel copy was not enough to remove the STEEL BALLZ of that bad boy.
    It's a bit of a let down after trying to fit the Titan without success.

I'll give another shot with a BKP maybe, which one could be a good fit with that guitar ? I was thinking of a C-Bomb

6. TheUnknownOne

TheUnknownOne SS.org Regular

Hi Folks !

Just a little update, after trying different pickups that did not fit because of the lack of depth in the bridge cavity, I ended up going for a Holy Diver bridge thanks to Tim's recommandation.

I'm pretty happy with it, it is a nice fit for that guitar, has a nice chunk with a lot of clarity, is precise enough for big prog chords and tight riffs. My only complaint could be a little lack of sharpness on gallops, but this is compensated by the nice "bloom" I get for djenty parts. Like a jugg but without the mid quack !

Overall it is a great all-around contemporary Alnico pickup, and it fixes the problems I had with the tone zone.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire schadenfreude

Holy diver is a great choice, it's one of the few pickups that I think works well for nearly any genre.

TheUnknownOne likes this.