Pickup swap: In depth tutorial featuring Dimarzio Titan vs Duncan Omega Comparison

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Swyse, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Swyse

Swyse Swyse

Hey guys, been a while since I posted anything, figured I'd treat you guys to a little tutorial and some clips.

Lets get started with some basics, you need a table.
    [​IMG]

You don't want yelled at, so protect the table, even if its garbage.

[​IMG]

Now lets get to the good stuff. You're going to want to start by gathering about half of your supplies. I started with a soldering iron, some solder, solder wick to remove the old solder and a multimeter.

[​IMG]

Next you need a guitar, and I suppose if you're not a man of fine tastes any guitar will do, but a lazer blue rg550 will be on the menu today.

[​IMG]

Here is a tough one, which of your favorite djent bands signature pickups do you pick to install into your early 90s shred stick? Perhaps by the end you'll be able to decide. This guitar is getting the Holcomb set.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lets get down to business now. Turn on the soldering iron, so its hot when you're ready.

[​IMG]

Heres a tip for those who have these old Ibanez. If you don't want to change the strings because they are fairly new or are your lucky strings, but want to swap pickups or what not, lock down the locking nut, remove your home made trem stopper and remove the springs from your half-tremol-no that came with your new used guitar and you can pull the edge right off the guitar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coming up here is an important step, you want to go get the screw drivers you forgot to get in your initial prep and remove the screws for your pickguard.

[​IMG]

Have your mother call you to change a tail light on her dodge caravan.

[​IMG]

JesperX, odibrom and Mathemagician like this.
  2. Swyse

Swyse Swyse

Now lets go back home and desolder the old pickups, and if you've got it, solder wick the old shitty solder off the old shitty switch.

[​IMG]

Its time to write a change.org petition to get flat head screws removed from the face of the earth.

[​IMG]

Install the replacements, which i must say do look better in person, they pretty much look like dimarzios.

[​IMG]

This is an important step coming up here, wire it correctly, this can be confusing when switching between brands. On this switch, the bridge pickup goes to the lug closest to the neck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to bolt it back together and make sure its not any more fucked than before you started. This is where I use my multimeter, with the pots at 10, you can get a reasonably close ohm reading, close enough where you can see if you wired it wrong at least.

[​IMG]

Its ready to play, just slap the edge back on and put back on your springs. Stretch the strings back out and it should only need minor tuning adjustments.

[​IMG]

And now, for the moment we've all been waiting the shoot out. Which periphery signature pickup is right for your metal machine.

3. Fretless

Fretless Knob Fiddler

I dig it.

Swyse and RustInPeace like this.
  4. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Comparing pickups only with room mic and clean sound is pretty pointless :2c:

Swyse likes this.
  5. RustInPeace

RustInPeace SS.org Regular

Remove all flat head screws and replace ALL with good ol' Canadian Robertson heads.

Swyse likes this.
  6. Fretless

Fretless Knob Fiddler

I prefer these.
    [​IMG]

RustInPeace likes this.