Pickup suggestions for Maple neck/swamp ash body

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by metal_sam14, Sep 4, 2014.

1. metal_sam14

metal_sam14 Midget

Howdy folks, I am looking for some advice/opinions on what works best with the wood combo mentioned in the title. I just got my hands on a Chapman ML7-T which has a big swamp ash body and a maple neck w/ ebony fretboard. So far Nick from the axe palace has suggested a set of BKP warpigs or holy divers. Just to make sure I have all the options, does anyone else have anything they would recommend? I was considering an SD Pegasus/Sentient set based on the descriptions (I play in a fairly versatile prog metal band).

2. AgileButt

AgileButt SS.org Regular

Are there any specific tones that you're going for?

3. Kullerbytta

Kullerbytta Newborn

I've no experience with the Warpigs but when I wanted to upgrade the bridge humbucker in my swamp ash/maple/maple American Standard Strat I was recommended either the Holy Diver or the Warpig by Tim (o'er at BKP).

I opted for the Holy Diver because I figured less DC=less gain=more clarity= (Y)
    Truth is, I don't know jack turd about DC resistances and all that stuff, and even so the Warpigs are renowned for their clarity despite being a very high-gain pickup so I think I'd be very happy with a set of those as well. I did, however, go with the Holy Divers in a very bright guitar and it does sound phenomenal. The Diamonbucker I had in my Strat before sounded so... Artificial and "model amplifier-y" no matter what I played it through.
    Since I had my HD installed though it sounds really organic, alive and... Non-model-y.

I can't tell you which would be better since I have no experience with the Pig... But I think you can rest assured that he recommendation for the Holy Diver is a good call.

You could go for the Cold Sweat bridge and have the brightest tone known to man :evil:

Prude likes this.
  4. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

5. SkullCrusher

SkullCrusher SS.org Regular

Dude On my ash body/maple neck regius I have a Blackhawk set and its perfect.

No other term for it. Perfect.

6. PlumbTheDerps

PlumbTheDerps SS.org Regular

I just got a Schecter JL-7, which has those same specs, except for the fretboard. It has an EMG active 57/66 set and it sounds pretty great IMO. Really gives off a "roomy," rich tone that expresses itself as deep rather than muddy to my ears. Very passive-sounding actives, if you're willing to go that route.

7. whosdealin

whosdealin SS.org Regular

I would suggest Bare Knuckle Crawler set or Alnico Blackhawk set ... I have tried those and various other pickups in my swamp ash, maple neck Anderson. Holy Divers would prob work well also. You want something thick and a bit dark sounding

8. mniel8195

mniel8195 SS.org Regular

I own a a swamp ash guitar with a bolt on neck and i have a ceramic warpig with the matching neck. If i could do it over again i would get the nailbombs or holydivers. They are just way over the top if you already have a high gain head.

9. Omrat

Omrat SS.org Regular

Ceramic or Alnico ?

10. Prude

Prude SS.org Regular

11. Prude

Prude SS.org Regular

Im looking for new pickups in a guitar with the same wood types. An ibanez RG652ahm. Ive been looking at Dimarzio Illuminators, Gravity storm and recently stared reading about BKP Holy Divers. The thing is... I want a and open sounding rock/metal sound but not too sharp in the top considering the wood types are a little brighter. Would you still recommend Holy Divers for this wood combo, or have you any experience with the other two Im mentioning?

12. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I suggest the Guitarmory Foxbat alnico 5 set. I have the ceramic set loaded in a guitar right now and they're amazing. My alnico 5 set is about to go into a swamp ash body guitar with a maple neck and either maple or ebony fretboard. If you want more gain, try the Guitarmory Atlas set. Guitarmory has some of the best pickups I've ever played.

Prude likes this.