Pickup ideas for a DK24

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by oneblackened, Mar 14, 2019.

1. oneblackened

oneblackened Doesn't Actually Play a Seven String

I have a Charvel DK24 (HH, FR) coming in tomorrow - alder body, maple neck and board, floyd rose. I'm not a fan of the stock pickups, especially the bridge pickup, at all - the Full Shred has this cocked wah weirdness, and the jazz is just OK (and let's be honest, white on satin black is just a bad look :lol:).

I'm going to tune this guitar to C# standard and I play death metal along the lines of Dyscarnate, Revocation, etc with a Dual Rectifier.

I'm looking for:
    Bridge:
    - fat, grindy midrange
    - fast tracking but still substantial low end
    - top end without a lot of "hair" but still articulate

Neck:
    - not too warm
    - kinda throaty
    - a good amount of pick attack + bite

Let's hear your ideas!

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire HAIL SATIN

bridge: mcp afwayu, guitarmory patriot, black winter. any of those will give you grind and bigger low end that's still pretty responsive. the afwayu will be the grindiest by far.

no idea for the neck though.

3. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

I really like Invader’s in alder, they’re great for beefing up Floyd Rose guitars. The midrange is the grindiest, the low end is prominent. I wouldn't call it tight but eq the amp right, get a tight boost (especially since you're playing through a recto) and it won't be loose. The low end isn't messy it's just not as tight as pickups designed specifically for surgical lows. With a maple neck/fretboard and Floyd I think you'll appreciate the added ass. They're also easy to find and pretty cheap used.

Pearly Gates in the neck

4. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I have a Jackson DKMG, very similar to yours as far as alder body, maple neck, Floyd, etc. I've tried a TON of pickups in that guitar and I've now landed on a Dimarzio Dominion in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck. I think they'd suit your needs perfectly :yesway:

The Dominion has a very thick and present midrange, great articulation, and very responsive/tight low end. The PAF Pro in the neck is a bit brighter, glassy, and has a nice vocal midrange for leads. Very underrated pickup IMO

5. oneblackened

After playing with it for a bit, I think I'm gonna probably magnet swap the FS to an A8 or a large ceramic. That should get me closer to my ideal tone. The midrange is a bit weird, but I really like the precision of this thing as it is - so maybe a little more chunk will help.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  6. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

I would be really interested to hear what you think of the full shred if you go the ceramic route.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  7. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Everyone I've seen mag swap a FullShred ended up really liking the result (ceramic mags that is, haven't seen anyone swap to an A8, that I remember).

8. oneblackened

Yup... Fat ceramic in a Full Shred turns it into a firebreather. More solid low end, less honky midrange.

Necky379 and AkiraSpectrum like this.