Pickup height poll

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by rx, May 8, 2018.

1. rx

rx I drink water.

First, active or passive? :)

And how close to the strings do you have your pickups (fretted at the 24th fret)? :)

For me, I can fit my 1.35mm pick exactly between the strings and the pickups, both for the lowest string and the highest string. :)

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

3. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

WHERE IS THE POLL???

Dcm81 likes this.
  4. raytsh

raytsh Contributor

Yeah where is the poll?! Also, will the poll have fixed increments? That would make it a quite large poll...

Regarding the topic: passive, 3mm underside string (fretted at last fret) to the pole piece on both highest and lowest string for the bridge pickup. For the neck pickup I adjust the height to match the volume of the bridge pickup of possible. For active, I do exactly the same.

5. gienek

gienek SS.org Regular

I have 2 humbuckers with 2 positions in split coils so i adjust pickups to achieve balanced neck-o-bridgy tone and nice output on splitted coil.

6. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Totally depends on the pickup and your tastes.

I have some Blackouts backed WAY far from the strings because I think that’s where they sound best. But I tend to prefer many EMGs to be real close to the strings.

I tend to prefer most passives very close to the strings as well, but if they’re a hot muddy mess they need to be backed up.

7. Djentlover666

Djentlover666 Good case of the djents

What is your pick up heights for both? I have an 8 string with blackouts and just bought a 9 string with 909 pickups.

8. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

I've never really been one to measure it out, I do it all by ear. If I think the pickup is too harsh or too much gain, I move them slightly away from the strings. It's really all preference and there is no true answer. Generally though, the hotter the pickup is, the further away you move it from the strings.

Djentlover666 likes this.
  9. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

I basically have the Blackouts dropped as far as physically possible. I put the EMGs as close to the strings as I could without the strings actually touching them when fretting and palm muting.

Djentlover666 likes this.
  10. rx

rx I drink water.

Do the Blackouts have much more gain than EMGs? :)

11. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

There’s much more of something. Not sure if it’s output or low end or what. Not really a fan of them and am counting the days until my replacement pickups get here.

12. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Suck. There's more suck.

13. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Seriously. Just a fuzzy, mushy mess. I can't believe they were trendy for so long. Maybe 10 years ago, everybody was hailing them as this amazing EMG killer.

And to answer the OP's question, I plug my guitar into my interface and record a DI with the pickup in a very low, medium, or very high position. Check out the characteristics - whether it gets more/less muddy, brighter/darker, more/less clear etc. Then I tweak from whichever position worked best, raising and lowering slightly until it sounds best to me.

That said, changing your action, changing string gauge etc will all affect it.

14. rx

rx I drink water.

Interesting. I thought the younger "djent" crowd was hailing them as the next big thing. I wonder why there has been a change in opinion. :)

15. MaxOfMetal

They came out about 10 years ago now. At the time, if you had a 7 or 8 string guitar your choices were pretty much EMGs, a couple of DiMarzios, stock pickups or paying big bucks for boutique/custom stuff.

If you had a guitar with soapbar routes, then they were the only easy, affordable non-EMG option.

This was at the height of "EMG hate", where folks would pretty much use anything other than.

It certainly didn't hurt that SD was pushing artists to use them pretty hard.

They were pretty popular for a few years, but between more options coming down the pipe and EMG upping thier game as far as models offered, most artists and players seemed to ditch them fairly quickly.

The only major artist, around these parts at least, that still uses them is Dino.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  16. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

^^ And Jeff Loomis? His signature set is still listed on their site, but no idea whether he's still using them

Mick Thompson too, I think

17. MaxOfMetal

Loomis hasn't really been using them since leaving Schecter. All the Jacksons and Charvels he's been playing seem to have passive SDs.

I forgot about Mick, but he has a custom set that sounds pretty good. Much better than the non-sig ones from what I've played.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  18. Captain Shoggoth

Captain Shoggoth SIGN YO REP

FWIW Corey from Trivium has been using Blackouts for most of the last decade, stock, not a sig set. Not sure how much the tone is covered by Matt using EMGs and them both having identical 5150+Celestion+tubescreamer rigs though

19. MaxOfMetal

I'm sure tons of folks still use them, obviously enough to keep them in production.

But there was a noticeable decline in popularity pretty quickly.

Captain Shoggoth likes this.
  20. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

1/8"-ish on my EMGs, at least as close as they'll go without getting in the way, and about 3/8" on my passives. The Blackout pickups themselves were kinda meh, but putting the Blackout preamp on a couple of passive OEM Schecter Omen 8 passive soapbars was pretty freaking awesome. Made em sound like boosted EMGs without having to put an OD in the chain. Serious upper-mid cut and clarity.