Phil McKnight Discussion

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Jason B, Feb 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Did Pixxy change the name of his channel?

2. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

Yeah because PixxyLixx is too obscene for his wife to mention to her friends

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  3. Dekay82

Dekay82 SS.org Regular

Fuck yeah to the max for Demovids. Their tag line “gear demos for non blues lawyers” seems like a fuck you to older hacks like TTK.

As for agufish, he seems ok, but reeks of desperately trying to suckle that endorsement teet. Arnold seems pretty cool and genuine.

AdenM likes this.
  4. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

The funny thing is TTK can play decent enough, he just plays like garbage for some reason for his own demo vids.

Agufish is alright, but he's kind of annoying. At least Stevie T is moderately funny.

5. MickD7

MickD7 SS.org Regular

I find that avoiding the cringe and click bait is the hardest thing in the world with the YouTube thing.

I’ve voiced many times my thoughts on Dines and Stevie T... they are only one video away from going full Pew Die Pie or Logan Paul and god I can’t wait for the reaction from these companies that are giving them so much coverage when that moment does happen.

The 18 string thing was kinda cool how Perry built it. Did it require old mate marching around at NAMM like gods gift to guitars appearing in the back ground of other very recognised and regarded builders and players and pulling faces? No, does the artist rosterfor Ernie Ball strings need to be boosted by either? No.

Are guitar company’s, music stores alike leaning far to heavily on memes,click bait and other horrible examples of marketing?

Yes. And it’s awful to the degree that local businesses are seeing it as the best angle for their business to function in today market.

6. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

Millennial's are the ones born in early 80's to late 90´s ending around early 2000's. It vary's a bit according to study's and who did them. Majority of people use the word Millennial as a pejorative to younger generations... kinda like young kids categorizing older Musicians as saying Mom and Pop Rock/Metal

7. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

The thing is that most of their content is made purely for entertainment, whether you find them funny or not. Channels like Ola, Fluff, Agufish, and Gear Gods are more catered to the gearhead audience, which is a tiny fraction of what Jared and Steve's audience is.

And it sounds like you were out of touch with the Logan Paul comparison because that is too much of a stretch, they and PewDiePie at least behave like proper human beings compared to that manipulative jackass troglodyte.

8. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

Clickbait Title and thumbnail = Views
    Views = Monetistation Money

Never heard of this guy before since I don't really watch much guitar/gear stuff on youtube but this should be a compulsory video for any gear nerd. I didn't realise I was pronouncing so many of these wrong all the time.

This is one of the really shady things about gear videos on YouTube. Its obvious you are getting free gear, lend, money or promised promotion to do a positive review. If you are an experienced mixer you can make anything sound good or just disguise it in the mix and then have everyone say for the next year "it sounds good here" or "xxxx owns/uses this brand so its amazing".

The worse thing about this is everyone was taking pics and videos of Jared and the guitar while so many other booths and stalls got ignored, it took the attention away from the show for so many companies. Did anyone even get some proper close up detailed pics of Abasi guitars? None that I've seen but there are a million pics of this. It turned NAMM into comic con.

9. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

Are you implying that NAMM isn't basically the musicians' equivalent of Comic-Con? The only thing that makes it different is that it's harder to get access to it.

There's nothing wrong with having a show stealer in a convention. Hell, Fractal managed to gain some attention with the reveal of the Axe FX III during that time without even showing up. You're making it sound like it only happened for Jared and Ormsby to show off that (deliberately) dumb guitar.

10. MickD7

MickD7 SS.org Regular

Out of touch possibly. But Ive never really enjoyed the antics of stupidity and a camera.

Possible derail:

Perry’s work is excellent as expected, it’s a functioning instrument as much as it is an amazingly executed concept. The build looks solid, Perry has worked very hard with his brand offering products like those that Ormsby guitars produces. I don’t own one but it’s strongly been in the consideration stage so far for about two years and I believe I will choose the Goliath should the moment present itself soon.

Australia is producing amazing Progressive Music and Instruments. It’s a lot for a musician to be inspired by.

Back on topic:

Maybe I’m out of touch. I hope if those that get a chance to play a Goliath, an Abasi or the AZ and Nita Strauss model along with a decent video and solid honest review. That kind of thing that’s all it’s ever had to be.

11. sezna

sezna undermotivated

I don't mind mcknight. He is cool. Someone mentioned arnold. He kinda annoys me because he can't really play and his reviews are just him reciting the specs.
    Mcknight seems like a chill dude willing to review all kinds of gear, from teles to schecters. He knows a lot about setting up guitars and his "sharpen your axe" series was pretty cool.

Dekay82 likes this.
  12. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

I rarely listen to Arnold because mainly he demos gear that I would never get for myself, those super expensive niche guitars are not really my thing and I wold never buy one.

Also the image I have of him, which and I must say is nothing personal and most certain he is not like that, but its the impression he cause on me is that is seems like "Im the best on my Street". Although his "elitist attitude" has been toned down a bit later. Pretty sure he is an amazing dude, its just the image that it transmits me and I can be 110% wrong of course.

Although by curiosity I watched the reviews he did on a Charvel, the cheap Chapman and the Schuldiner BC Rich and enjoyed them.

InTheBlues has nice demos/reviews, not Metal at all but pretty enjoyable.

Used to listen to ToneKing some time ago, dont like his Tone but thats another story, and Fluff... havent listened to anything in some months. The German guy has nice stuff.. but he really needs to cut down those 30+ min videos to something shorter, although i doubt he will.

I dig watching Andertons demos, most people cant stand Chapman (never go why), but they are enjoyable.

13. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King Contributor

So I used to be a big fan of this guy's channel. At one point, before he dropped his guitar store, he made a promise.

He posted a video making a promise he would never keep gear sent to him for reviews so it wouldn't color his reviews. He also opened a Patreon account about that time that he called a contract. It was his promise to you he would never produce bias reviews. If you paid into that account then you were automatically eligible for the giveaway of each piece of gear he received for review.

So first the people that won the gear were waiting a very long time to receive gear. So long they were having to call his store and stuff trying to get their promised gear. Then Mono sent him a top tier gig bag. So in the video review of it he said he was going to keep it, and there there would be no giveaway.

So of course me and others called him out in the comments that he was supposed to giveaway all the free gear he received, and that we paid for that privilege.

So then he deleted that video, deleted his Patreon account, and deleted the original video where he made the promise. He gave people partial refunds, and then pretended nothing happened. He completely sold out over one gig bag lol

I owned t-shirts, and coffee mugs of his. I tossed them in the trash.

Here is the only proof I could recover:

[​IMG]

Here is a link that shows the Mono Gig Bag video did exist:
    http://earpeeler.com/2016/08/04/phillip-mcknight-mono-gig-bags-250-are-they-crazy/

And is the link to the deleted video:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  14. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Wow what a dirt bag move, or hell if you really really like the gig bag at least give away some other stuff to make good on your entire premise.

I'm sure if he had come out straight up and said, "this gig bag is phenomenal I love it but couldn't bring myself to part with $250 for one. Will offer to do a giveaway on a couple of pedals instead." People would have understood, we all get the GAS if his happens to be for a gig bag well then thats fine.

AxeHappy likes this.
  15. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King Contributor

Yes exactly. It wouldn't have been that hard to fix in some way just by being honest.

AxeHappy and Jason B like this.
  16. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder/pickup tester

the fact that arnold reviews smaller more niche brands is exactly why I like his content. Not a lot of guys out there reviewing siggi brauns or hapas guitars, etc. I like how he's willing to try pretty much anything (ie the agile 10 string or the aforementioned siggi brauns).
    Intheblues is solid for pedal demos if you're not looking for a metal oriented pedal.
    I really like ProGuitarShop demos but that's mostly because Andy was a damn good demoer (he's with reverb now iirc).

cwhitey2 likes this.
  17. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

When something is actually backed up with solid content (like Ben's), it doesn't really come across as clickbait (if you actually watch it). It's more like good marketing. It's a tutorial series that backs up the premise of the headline. I get why people say that, but IMO his videos are on an entirely different level than the standard youtube "reviewer."

Dineley, AxeHappy and mpexus like this.
  18. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Yeah I agree totally. I mean the title itself can sound clickbaity, but the name is from his YouTube channel. The actual content kicks ass and is extremely informative.

19. Malevolent_Croatian

Malevolent_Croatian SS.org Regular

@rexbinary

Pls tell the WHOLE story. He didn't send the mono gigbag out cause he threw it across the room with a guitar and damaged it. Instead he spent 140 bucks of his own money to send out two brand new gigbags. He also did not pretend "nothing happened", it's fully addressed here:

He fucked up, but he fixed it.

20. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

arnold and soulhenge are the only reviewers doing reviews of stuff i'd actually buy. I'd wish there was ore of that happening. i need a channel called eastern european multiscale guitar reviews.

cwhitey2 likes this.