Phil McKnight Discussion

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Jason B, Feb 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

Ben Levin, Crimson Guitars, ArnoldPlaysGuitar, Dean Murphy.

2. Jason B

Jason B SS.org Regular

I haven’t kept up with Ben Crowe and Crimson lately due to being annoyed in the past by someone trying to sell me a transatlantic rasp, but thanks for reminding me of them and the others - I’m kind of desperate for guitar videos that feel more like nourishment and less like junk food, if that makes any sense.

Have you checked out his stuff in the last 8 months or so?

It may only be due to my being a regular viewer, but I feel his vibe has changed a lot from a few years ago. I think he’s well aware that he comes off as a “super nice dude”, but isn’t always upfront about leaning on it when he has something to sell. He’s also (imo) grown shameless about clickbaiting: Between these misleading thumbnails/titles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and going through a phase of titling eeevery tip video “hack” (Guitar Pedal HACKS, Pickup spring install HACK, Tremolo spring install HACK, remove plastic from pickguard HACK, etc.), he really doesn’t seem to care about anything more than having enough subs to be considered for wine-and-dining by larger corporate entities than the last time he was flown out to do a fluff video:

3. myrtorp

myrtorp Jiggywiggy

I watched some lunchbox amp vids of his, not bad when you are full of GAS

Jason B likes this.
  4. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Nah I haven't watched any of his videos in over a year really, I find his demos not suited to my tastes, his tips below my experience level, and for the most part the gear and stuff he demos/reviews are not too my tastes.

5. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

Is the only one I watch anymore.

Ebony likes this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG/pickup hoarder

I only really watch gear demo channels like arnold's, fluff, agufish, andertons and brett kingman. I know andertons and agufish can be clickbaity to an extent but their demos are usually quite solid. Fluff has been slacking in the gear demoing department the last year or two. brett is probably my favorite because he doesn't waste my time with overly polished mixes or bullshit.

7. Malkav

Malkav Washing your dishes.

Levi is pretty cool too, though much less metal orientated, he has a podcast called Guitarseholes that'll be going live soon, couple episodes on youtube already, a few of them feature the one guitar player in Part Cannon for what that's worth.

8. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

I hate how he hard cuts the video when he finds himself rambling/stammering, but otherwise not a bad channel

9. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

I'll turn on some of the channels mentioned here just to have something playing in the background occasionally, but the only one I actually really respect and like is Ben's. His weekly lesson videos are great too - the perfect balance of having a wide range of genres and licks that are easy enough to not be overwhelming, but hard enough to still be challenging at speed.

10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Just spent some time watching some of these channels.

Where do I apply to get my time back? Reimbursement? Can I put it on my taxes?

Maybe they're aimed at younger, newer players, but this is all cringe central. :ugh:

11. Dekay82

Dekay82 SS.org Regular

I don't think Phil is so bad. It at least seems like he tries to be genuine and actually interact with the people who support him on a regular basis. That being said, it's crazy how non transparent alot of these youtubers are. Like, all of a sudden they're all over Harley Benton, Hosa cables, and Danelectro's dicks, as if they're the greatest products ever. Even thought they all got free shit at the SAME TIME and all the "reviews" for said shit are coming out at he same time. They all hate Gibson for weeks, then Gibson sends out some vague emails and now they're all slobbing knob's just to get a whiff of Ol'Orville's panties? Come on. WHo saw TOne King's interview where he sucked Hartley Peavey's dick for 15 minutes straight?

That being said, I kinda like Phil. Fluff is better. Uncle Ben is best.

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I dig Agufish and Arnold. Great players, awesome music, and very detailed product reviews.

As said before though, Ben Eller rules all.

nyxzz, couverdure and cip 123 like this.
  13. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I'd recommend Ben's Weekend Wankshop channel.

14. Spaced Out Ace

Oh, and Brett Kingman is also really good.

ArtDecade and mpexus like this.
  15. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

I think they’re all infomercials. I typically watch Brad the guitalogist(?) channel because I like watching amp repair. Stevie T is no doubt crazy talented, but pretty damn annoying. He is also feeling the pressure of rushing out more content and turning his channel into a carbon copy of the other shit channels.

I don’t use YT for daily entertainment as much as I use it for direct search info. If I’m looking for ...And Justice For All type sounds from my Mark IV then I’ll search DDG and click a video if it pops up. This site provides enough product hype for me :fawk:so I can do without the constant bombardment. Plus, I don’t need some ass hat telling me 10 things I probably don’t know about my Fender Stratocaster.

16. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

Another +1 for Uncle Ben!

Smoked Porter likes this.
  17. Spaced Out Ace

Say that again, but in step dad speed, please.

18. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I don't really care for any of the high-subscriber guitar YT channels at all. Oddly, bass players are far more entertaining to me - more variety and fewer attempts at humour that totally miss the mark for me. I never even heard of the guy in the OP. :shrug:

YT is a shit show anyway. One of the more entertaining somewhat-science-y channels was recently shut down for seemingly political reasons, the recommended videos shoved down my throat when I sign in are tripe, and their recent policy changes seem solely geared at making it harder for certain people to make any money with no other really logical explanation other than screwing those people over.

19. Dekay82

Dekay82 SS.org Regular

+1
    I think its also important to distinguish the people who are using youtube to help others build skills while also building their businesses (for lack of a better term) from those that have channels where they're just trying to get endorsements and free shit.

DudeManBrother likes this.
  20. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

Brett is an amazing player and its one of those guys were everything sounds great and always have a great soundtrack to back it all up, a bit like Pete Thorn, but I prefer Brett's channel.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.