Phil McKnight Discussion

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Jason B, Feb 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jason B

Jason B SS.org Regular

I’ve been following the guy’s YouTube career for a few years, now. Summary for the unacquainted:

* Middle-aged bald guy with porcelain tooth co-owns mom’n’pop guitar store in Arizona, decides YouTube channel and Reverb storefront are essential in getting with the times.

* The endearing qualities of compulsively smiling, constantly falling into unintelligible, mushmouth stammers befitting a Pittsburgh cable access host with Down syndrome and a cleft palette, and being generally dorky while rambling about wanting to own more than four hundred guitars somehow resonated with viewers; driving impressive subscriber number growth. Eventually, McKnight closes his store to focus on YouTube.

* McKnight is a constituent of GuitCon Zaibatzu, a coven of guitar-themed YouTube channels with similar subscriber numbers which cross-promote one another’s channels with videos congratulating themselves for liking one-another’s channels. They even got Warwick-Framus to pay for them to do this in Germany.

*McKnight does weekly QnAs in which he subtly mentions a particular major brand twenty times in an hour, presumably in the hope that said brand will take notice of his subscriber count in consideration of employing him as a shill for newly-launched products. In the event that he doesn’t hear back from the brand before the next QnA, he focuses on a different brand. This is best observed in comparing his recent video, titled “Gibson Asked if I’m Interested in Working with Them?,” to the subsequent video in which he often makes the point of reminding the audience that Kiesel is a brand exhibiting greatness and deserving of respect, that he badly wants to acquire a particular Kiesel guitar, and that he spoke with Kiesel representatives at length during the recent NAMM; and “hopes to do something really cool with them in the future.”

In short, he has attained what corporate marketers refer to as Influencer-status, standing alongside such personalities as Jared Dines, Rob Scallion, and Steve Terreberry (highlighted by a perturbed Guitar World magazine editor as “a popular YouTube guitarist, which is a very 21st-century thing to be. He posts a host of six-string-centric clips over at his YouTube channel, and he even released an album, cleverly dubbed Album of Epicness, earlier this year.”)

With that out of the way: I personally love McKnight’s content, and find him very helpful for propagating conjecture-derived gossip and educated guesses as insider information, which I then (to the best of my memory) repeat in threads on this site as if they were my own insights.

I also find it awesomesauce that he talks about guitar gear and what guitar gear he wants to buy while in front of a webcam. In the name of transparency and free advertising, I should mention that this has inspired me to launch a similar channel, in which I watch Phillip McKnight talk about guitar gear and what guitar gear he wants to buy in front of a webcam, in front of a webcam. It is my hope that viewers will find this awesomesauce.

But I’m also curious to know the thoughts of You - The People!

Is Phil McKnight really just a reflection of Joe Satriani that came to life and escaped from a funhouse mirror? You tell me! And, as always, be sure to like and subscribe <3

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  2. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

did this guy steal your girlfriend or something?

3. Jason B

Jason B SS.org Regular

Who told you about that.

wat likes this.
  4. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

the Christmas Ghost of Unfunny Posts visited me one night

5. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I don't like him, but I think this is uncalled for.

WestOfSeven and fps like this.
  6. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

I find most of the Youtube guitarlords to suffer from the same problems that most Youtubers suffer from nowdays - increased pressure for viral content + proliferation of multichannel networks and sponsorship middlemen has resulted in most channels uploading 5 - 10 min. commercials with interspersed with vlogging 1-2x a week. That said, the dude's making a living in America in 2018, in the music/entertainment industry no less. He's doing what he has to do to get by, and as a store owner who actually somewhat talks about the business side of things on occasion, that's refreshing. He also probably appeals to the older "Gibson/Fender 4 lyfe" crowd as well. No need to spread h8 man

iamaom and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone zone

i try to pay as little attention as possible to clickbait heavy channels like mcknight's. He's worse than the tone king.

TheWarAgainstTime, Edika and cwhitey2 like this.
  8. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Just one of many clickbait-clowns with useless content. I'm basically avoiding all of the I-am-the-greatest-channels...

thedonal likes this.
  9. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

You joined SSO to post a Youtube comment?

10. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

A long string of 5 or 10 or 33 or 74.5 things you didn't know about xxxx. Pointless clickbait and there are far better guitar channels on YT.

I don't really find his videos particularly informative and they're not much fun. Nothing else against the guy.

The other thing that bothers me is all of the "this is why you suck at guitar" videos- an awful way of getting viewings.

/soapbox

11. BangandBreach

BangandBreach Kaboom.

Can't stand that guy. He's the crazy russian hacker of guitar channel.

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  12. Jason B

Jason B SS.org Regular

What guitar channels/podcasts would you fellows recommend over Phil’s? Specifically, ones that avoid clickbait or begging for cameos from “bigger” channels/brands?

I’ve added a “djent” tag to meet the site’s standards.

GunpointMetal likes this.
  13. zarg

zarg guitar nerd

I think he's alright - one of the better guitar focused channels on youtube.

sezna likes this.
  14. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

Jesus, who took the jam out of your donut?

15. Jason B

Jason B SS.org Regular

I agree. But is “better” strictly comparative in this case?

I feel the initial success of his channel was due to his angle as a reactionary, “no BS” alternative to clickbait and shill “reviews” for the usual gang of Mooer/Headrush/Line 6/Positive Grid/Kiesel commercials. But the guy now seems resigned to have grown into just another clickbait-based advert channel as a condition of that same success, with no regard for what got people watching in the first place.

16. zarg

zarg guitar nerd

true, I used to watch him a lot, it got less now. at least he has some transparency with the little icons he uses to mark paid "reviews". I don't see the clickbait thing you mention, but there's a couple videos where the actual content of the video is very small. I usually don't even watch sponsored videos. They're great and all, helps the creator to earn a buck but if that's all the content - I'll pass.

17. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

I watch him sometimes, or better, listen to it while at work. He doesnt have the Store anymore since he was feeling the pressure from Manufaturers to give nice reviews and he felt he didn't want that pressure and it was hurting the Store Business (Like refusal to allow him to have some Brands). So he sold it and only does YT.

Have nothing against him, sometimes I kinda like what I hear, others I care less. I listen to it like I can listen t someone one talk about Gear, no more no Less. Like I used to do a lot on PixxyLixx videos, but since like one year ago he kinda changed to way he does the videos and they start loosing appeal to me, he changed his name recently to Steve from Boston.

The "Why You Suck at Guitar" videos series by Ben Eller are IMO extremely informative videos, made and presented in a way that dont get boring at all. Dont find them a clickbait in any way, by the contrary. Think Ben found a very nice and humorous way to present things without becoming Goofy or sounding retarded, that is very very hard to do in fact.

xzacx likes this.
  18. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

The fact that you chose the username Jason Becker makes this even more ironic considering he's one of the most peaceful and guys around

19. Jason B

Jason B SS.org Regular

Even more ironic than what?

20. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I watched a bunch of his stuff a couple years ago while on night shift.

Hes a genuine dude with some unique antidotes and lots of nice guitars. I stopped watching because his playing and demos didnt demonstrate if gear was suitable to my preferred style, but stumbling upon his videos led me to Fluff and Ola and this site and such after many years of guitar neglect.

Some of his topics are quite weak, but he seems like a super nice dude either way

couverdure likes this.