Persona 5

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Ralyks, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Ok, I've talked about it in other threads numerous times, but seriously, can we talk about the greatness that is Persona 5?

Probably like a lot of people, this was my introduction to the Persona/Shin Megami Tensei series, but man, what an intro. I'm about 58 hours in, not bored of it even in the slightest, and still looking forward to what I've heard could be at least another 40 hours. I think what draws me to this game so much, other than probably being the new standard for turn based JRPGs, is theres so much to do on a open-world level scope, but the game never stops moving forward. Time management has never been so enthralling, figuring out what stats to work on, who to spend time with, should I read this book, should I go work this job and get some money, should I go do some requests.... SO MUCH TO DO. But the fact that the game still moves forwards makes it feel so much less overwhelming than something more wide open like Witcher or Skyrim.

Also, an anime-ass anime plot line that is still pretty enthralling even at this point in the game. And really great characters and development.

So yeah, best JRPG I've played in forever, my current leader for Game of the Year 2017, and maybe one of the best games I've ever played. I'd likely try to Platinum this game, even with the approximate 100 hour first time through.

Who else wants to share the love? And I guess get your spoiler font ready. I myself
    just got to Okumura's palace and had Haru join my party

Also, as I mentioned in my PSTV thread, I love this game so much, I went and grabbed a cheap PSTV and Persona 4 Golden so I can go back to that next.

2. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Frankly I'm shocked a Persona game has reached AAA recognition. Though at the same time, it's long overdue and well deserved.

I've known the series since Persona 2 but I never really played them as intensively as the Square Enix behemoths. Every game (and Shin Megami Tensei games in general) has always been solid, even the P4 fighting games. Hell, even Nihon Falcom have borrowed heavily from this series for their own excellent Legend Of Heroes JRPGs (namely the Trails saga), all the time management and relationship building on those games reeks of Persona homage.

P5 is on my shortlist to play once I stop being yesterday's dinosaur and buy a PS4 once and for all. I'll probably buy the OST as well because the music I've heard from P5 is great.

3. Bloody_Inferno

Ok, I've played through the first 5 hours one lazy Saturday arvo, and so far so awesome. Yeah it's 90% tutorial so far, but with a game with this many mechanics, you need it.

I'm also quite surprised on how certain can actually get difficult if you're not prepared enough. And the urgency of the limited days to complete dungeons/bosses makes this more thrilling to play. :yesway:

Though being a JRPG, it's definitely a compeltionist nightmare, thanks to the Pokémon/Ni No Kuni monster mechanic management mothersuckery, amongst all the other ridiculous amount of side stuff the game keeps score of.

4. Ralyks

I haven't been able to play for a while due to being in between homes, and probably won't be able to for a few months. 80 hours in, you bet I plan on finishing this as soon as I can.

And yeah, you'll probably be in tutorial mode for a good while, there's quite a bit to learn. Like I said in the OP, I like how there's a TON to do, but the game keeps moving forward, as opposed to something more wide open like Skyrim or Breath of the Wild, where I'm sitting here going "Crap, where do I go now?!". I can see myself going through New Game+ and trying to obtain the Platinum trophy whenever I can finally hook up my PS4 and TV again.

5. Bloody_Inferno

2 weeks, and I'm in the 4th Palace... and it's all I've been playing. No turing back at this point.

All the Persona chestnuts are here and I still get invested by them. The school related activities (studying, exams etc) the needy insecure Scooby Doo-esque gang members of your party. But I really like how it's a slight cops/robbers reversal role to Persona 4. All the hanging outs drag the game more than the usual JRPG slog (and more completionist nightmare bollocks), but at least the characters have, well... character. They're emotive and expressive once they open up to you. I'm noticing the romance option already (a Persona standard paradigm) as I've got Ann rather high. But I'm saving mine for Makoto personally...

Just for the idea of Sae knowing that I'm boning her sister. :lol:

There's a few things that bother me. Namely a lot of the social issues being handled in such a tone deaf manner. I've known long enough that Japan is a country that doesn't care for Western taboo, and this normally doesn't surprise me especially at my age and exposure (they've made Hitler, Jesus and Shoko Asahara anime after all, hell Persona 2 has "Hitler" in it). But with the internet and globalisation making the world much smaller, I'm a little conflicted. I was a little bothered with the Hollywood adaptation of Ghost In The Shell but quickly shut down knowing that the movie sucked. But not so much in a game I'm loving and heavily invested in.

One character's attempted suicide was a little clumsily handled in the end, but what bothered me most was one of the Memeto sidequests where you stop a guy from physically abusing his girlfriend only to be rewarded with what I assume the same pipe used to beat her up with as a weapon for Ryuji. And I can already see the relationship options opening a can of worms with 3 particular women, one of them (players will know who) rings every single alarm bell in existence to all things taboo.

Those are all minor quibbles, as oddly put as that sounds. I'm still playing this to the end. And I've got the OST spinning nonstop in my car because it's so damn good.

I can't wait to use Queen to punch a Mara in the knob. :lol:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  6. Ralyks

Well, there's a Persona 5 anime coming next year. Hopefully I'll be moved into my new apartment in the next month and can hook my Tv and PS4 back up and finally finish this game.

Also
    I romanced Takemi. Something about an old goth doctor was a turn on.

7. Bloody_Inferno

Naturally they'd make an anime adaptation. :lol: What I would like is the fighting game version like what they did with Persona 4.

Though as much as the Persona 4 anime was fun (haven't seen Trinity Soul), the whole silent protagonist doesn't really translate in a non interactive medium. All of Yu's anime dialogue was reduced to one word lines most of the time, like he's not really there or acting as a superfluous character, which is bad for a protagonist. I guess it just made me want to play the game instead. They'll most likely do the same with Akira on P5. Fair enough I suppose.

I'm still in Futuaba's palace, and really want to move on, but money is hard to come by in this game without the Fortune Teller boost and excessive grinding...

8. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

I loved the game up to the mid point, then afterwards, the end game slog kicks in and it's not so good. It falls back to the JRPG roots heavily at that point.

I'm playing Persona 4 Golden at the moment after playing Persona 5 and I'm not sure which one I prefer. The slick visual appeal in Persona 5 is so strong, and the fact the art style is so bold on the next gen console helps, but I find the characters rather flat in Persona 5 and like Bloody_Inferno mentioned, it handles the social issues in such a clumsy manner. The general path of nearly all side quests comes down "Hey, this guy is doing something bad. Let me tinker with his shadow / heart. Problem solved!". There's no real dilemma or struggle of thoughts, just beat them up and it's groovy.

9. Bloody_Inferno

Just finished the game... well almost. All the JRPG stuff is out of the way, just got to go through the home stretch. And...

Holy crap, did you hit the nail right in the head. :lol:

The whole "let's join together and use the power of friendship and commit deicide" trope was used right on the nose here. Japan really needs to stop overusing this. It's tired and it's now small meat chunks of what used to be a beaten dead horse. It's time to move on.

It did help that there was a ton of post final boss scenes that made me somewhat get over that. Especially considering I spent so much time maxing out all confidants, I couldn't help but be invested in the characters. I genuinely felt bad treating Yuuki Mishima like crap and standing him up on every late night phone call, when I'm out there with my Sandalphon persona keeping my health high. There's always the new game + runthrough if I could be assed wanting Sataniel and exploring the other romances. I do want the Yoshitsune, Lucifer and Mother Harlot fusions, but even with excessive grinding and treasure collecting, all the uber fusions are expensive and money was still hard to come by.

Also @Mwoit

Have you played the Trails Of Cold Steel series yet? If not, why not? Do so immediately. :lol:

10. Ralyks

Well, I finally started playing again after a few months layoff, and, well...

Holy crap, that was quite a twist after Sae’s palace. A lot of wrap my heard around with how they tricked Akechi, and I figured Shido was involved in some way. I’m definitely still into it, 85 hours in. Hoping it doesn’t slog for me like I’m hearing. /spoiler]

I still have Persona 4 Golden too, and I plan on going back and playing 1 to 3 probably after getting through 4G and 5.