Peavey Invective 120 - Misha Mansoor Signature Amp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Takk, Jan 19, 2017.

1. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins (*Block version, not sig) Contributor

Yeah, FWIW I don't think any of this angst should be directed at Misha. Peavey has made tons of questionable business moves since closing the Meridian plant and shipping their production to China. Maybe there were mitigating circumstances that caused the necessity... I don't know.

KailM likes this.
  2. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Where are the cabinets made?

3. bluffalo

bluffalo SS.org Regular

Misha: hopefully you're pretty stoked that there's been so much interest in this that the original plan had to be changed to keep up with demand. Thank you for trying your best to let us all know, I'm gathering you needed permission etc as it's all business right? Makes no sense to upset the customer, makes no sense to upset the manufacturer.

Of course it's less than ideal but oh well. The main thing is the whole product didn't just vanish and be some obscure one off prototype that people talk about in 2031.

Hopefully that means in places where it hasn't even begun selling or possible to order eg Australia the predicted price of $3500 or so will be less... You guys in the USA whine a bunch about your prices! The Australian demand probably cannot be gauged as there's no way to measure it yet.

Still want to buy one.

4. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Yes. Yes it does.

prlgmnr likes this.
  5. bluffalo

bluffalo SS.org Regular

Ummm it's got knobs, that you can turn.... To set the gain level........?

6. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Man, Peavey seems like a smart, trustworthy dude:

But it's hard to reconcile basically anything he said in the interview (2014) with shipping out almost all amp production out to China.

7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

erm but the erm tonal characteristics of the gain are urm not how i expected urm

8. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Rackmount tube poweramps aren’t nearly as popular as they used to be, most companies don’t make them anymore. There’s only a small handful that still make them.

Apart from the Fryette Powerstation and the Synergy 50/50, both of which have pretty specific purposes, I can’t think of any other recently developed rack tube poweramps.

The good news is, you can pick up rack poweramps cheap as chips here in the uk. Especially Marshalls. The bad news is once you have one, you’ve got it for life since nobody wants to buy it from you.

Edika, The906 and lewis like this.
  9. Ironbird666

Ironbird666 SS.org Regular

Having owned a 5150 and now owning an Invective I can tell you it's not drastically different in the room. Also, the other guitarist in my band is still running a block letter and the main difference is mine is probably a bit brighter if the settings are the same. If I adjust my presence down it sounds pretty much the same. So, yeah. Lower the gain, don't use the boost, us your normal boost, whatever the case may be, it's still going to provide you with the familiar 5150 sound you're used to.

10. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

These supposed “volume taper” differences and bedroom volume talk that makes the amp out to be totally different are as horseshit as their “USA” floundering...total BS...

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  11. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Would love to hear more people set this up like a block letter. Ola's was the closest so far to my preferences.

Ironbird666 likes this.
  12. bsshiver

bsshiver SS.org Regular

I'm not sure if you actually have experience with the amp or not, but the volume taper is definitely different from my other amps. It is more linear and has to be turned up higher (by default) to get the volume up to band levels. There's plenty of headroom, but it's in a different spot on the dial. As for playing at lower volume, this taper does make that a fairly simple prospect.

PrestoDone and Ironbird666 like this.
  13. Ironbird666

Ironbird666 SS.org Regular

I don't run the boost on mine unless I'm in my lead setting (I'm taking full advantage of MIDI). Rhythm tone is the lead channel straight up, actual lead is the rhythm sound with the boost engaged to give it a bit more of a liquid sustain. Honestly, the lead channel on this amp is plenty tight enough for my needs so boosting for rhythm work just doesn't make sense. I'm more or less trying to get the sound from my old 5150 with improved tightness with using a boost, plus the benefits of a nice clean channel and MIDI switching. The amp allows me to do this.

I'll also state I don't honestly care where it's made, who buys it, who's name is on it, how many people cry about it, etc. It's a damn good sounding amp that provides me the features I've always wanted a 5150 variant to have. The whole ordeal does indeed suck but to slag the amp and what it can do because of this is absurd. It's a nice product that has fallen victim to some crappy circumstances. Not the first nor the last time this will happen.

Deadpool_25 and bsshiver like this.
  14. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

DDD8716D-5476-4BC0-92EB-B74D7BC5CBE2.jpeg New plan: Insourcing

sevenfoxes likes this.
  15. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

My point is I don’t care about the volume settings...it’s never been a problem for me -certainly not worth buying a 2k Chinese amp over...other people struggle with it apparently

16. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

The difference is though is you have one of the USA amps, ie what they said in the promotional material originally. I doubt current owners would be bothered by this because they already have a USA made amp.

17. Soya

Soya Poor person Contributor

Sudan I believe.

18. USMarine75

Enough with the 'block letter' BS lol... the difference between the block letter and script version was the block Letter came with US made Sylvanias and the script version came with crappy Chinese tubes.

TheRileyOBrien and Ironbird666 like this.
  19. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

...people just like the block letter look...

20. USMarine75

Fair enough... it just grinds my gears when people pull this Yanny/Laurel BS about how their block letter sounds better than a script 5150 or 6505 lol...

[​IMG]
    Get off my lawn!

NateFalcon likes this.