Passive Lace vs Active Fishman - 8 string

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by lewis, Feb 21, 2017.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

ok so does anyone have experiences with both pickups and could wade in about what would be better for my application?

Guitar is a basswood body, rosewood board, maple neck 8 string. Fanned Fret.

I have some Lace Deathbar and Xbars in my other 8 string but that is all mahogany and I have never tried the Fishman.

How do they compare with each other?. Do they both share that HI-FI style sound?. And what has the most clarity and would be more suited to that Drop G style modern sound?.
    I seem to have a preference for active type tones on recording but as of yet, have never owned a guitar with Actives.

EDIT: Its actually a baked Maple fretboard to appear as dark as rosewood.

2. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Bump. Also looking for a comparison between lace alumitones and fishman fluence

3. odibrom

odibrom .

For the sake of curiosity, please be the first to have these compared...

4. AwakenNoMore

AwakenNoMore Lefty Derp

In for this as well. I've narrowed it down to Fishman Fluence Moderns and Deathbar/X-bar combo. Would like to avoid active if it can crush just as much.

lewis likes this.
  5. larsmul

larsmul SS.org Regular

Lewis I thought that you hated the Laces pickups ... ? If you guitar has a poor acoustic sound then put something else than the transparent Laces .

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

It's an old thread, look at the dates, now he's on his" lace are garbage, emg roolz" kick.

Beheroth and lewis like this.
  7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

partly this haha
    Actives in general but yeah mostly EMG :)

8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

If you are going Lace I would actually suggest dual X bars.
    I tried the Deathbar and X bar combo after this thread and hated the Deathbar bridge pickup but did enjoy the x bar neck for cleans and leads. Especially coil tapped. Never heard cleans like it. I now wish I went dual X bar personally.

That deathbar is so compressed and has some weird hi-fi fizz sheen all over it you just cannot get rid of. They are similar to a Sonic Maximizer in the sense that at first you think this sound is amazing....

Then after a short while, you realise its actually annoying as hell and going back to a normal humbucker again is like a hug from an Angel. I struggled for months getting the Deathbar in my 8 string sounding good with my rig and in the end, trying another guitar with a more conventional pickup made me relieved haha.

9. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

no please anything but lace.

lewis likes this.
  10. Richter

Richter SS.org Regular

I actually like Alumitones. Ditched the 707x's for a deathbar/x-bar combo on my OS7 and to me they sound tight, crystal clear with a single coil like attack. I know I'll eventually end up trying BKPs or else in a while because gearhead but oh well

DudeManBrother likes this.
  11. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

mmm baked maple

12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

makes me want pie....
    cool whip?

ElRay likes this.
  13. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

There must be a weak connection point on lace pickups or something. Some of the things people say when describing why they hate them is nothing like my experience with the alumitones. One of the wires must break of and make them sound like garbage. I think they sound pretty damn awesome. Full spectrum, relatively balanced eq, and dead silent with gain that is squeal city with any Duncan, Dimarzio, Bare Knuckle, EMG or any other pickup I’ve tried. What’s not to like?

Richter and odibrom like this.
  14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

Funny you mention weak point, my dissonant aggressor pickups have exposed ground wire thingies, and one of em broke and made the guitar sound like shit. I soldered it back to the baseplate and no issues since. I still really like lace's 6 string offerings but probably won't bother with any of their erg options other than the xbar, which i liked a lot in my strandberg.

DudeManBrother likes this.
  15. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Woah now, I use LOADS of damn gain and my EMGs are completely noiseless, comparably so to my Laces and actually, there was one gig I played where the Laces were feedbacking loads even with 3 noise gates in the chain....

Hence why I go overboard with the copper shielding on any cavity regardless of pickups since. My EMGs havent given me feedback once. No pickup has.

16. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

In those situations there is a frequency in the room being amplified and causing feedback. The great sound guys have 31 band EQ's or simailar, and can cut the band thats causing the issue.
    If you can get to the venue early enough and plug your Kemper in (playing first or backline situations) you can use an EQ to boost +12dB and 10q for a quick frequency sweep to find any terrible whistling frequency. Once you find one, simply lower the +12 to -3dB or so, and lower the q a touch, to attenuate the neighboring frequencies as well.

lewis and odibrom like this.