Parkway Drive - Reverence

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by 7 Dying Trees, May 29, 2018.

1. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    Now, I'll start by saying that I always found this band derivative and fairly boring and a bit too, well, I dunno, floppy hairstyle emo-ish whatever (just basically not my cup of tea at all).

Now, I ended up hearing a track (Wishing Wells) of their new album, and I was actually really surprised.

Since then, I've been looking forward to the whole album, and it's probably one of the best things I've heard for a while, in that it grabs my attention, I'm loving a lot of the riffs, the guitar sound and that there's variety in the songs across the album. So yeah, a great discovery, and a surprise seeing as I'm pretty jaded with most music these days.

Anyway, this is coming from someone who knows very little about their back catalogue, so I am guessing there's definitely going to be a few posts about how they've sold out.

Anyone else enjoying this album as much as I am?

2. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

I haven't checked out their new album yet, but if you like it, my suggestion would be to check out "Horizons". I believe it is their second album, and my personal favorite.

Genocyber, duffbeer33 and cwhitey2 like this.
  3. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

See, i've just been listening, but it really is a band doing the whole new wave american killswitch a like metal thing sorry to say, which is why I've just dismissed them for so long, as it isn't anything new.

And I am guessing the reason why I like the new album, is probably the reason why I think a lot of long term fans might find it dissapointing. Seena few people post stuff up along the lines of "wtf happened to parkway drive"...

4. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

I'm in the same boat as you. The older material was decent metalcore that didn't really do much for me. But the two most recent albums have an "arena-rock" element to them that I actually like. They really know how to write great hooks.

This one gets stuck in my head at least once a week since it came out.... :lol:

5. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I saw one video and decided to throw the whole album out before I even bought it. Shit sounded like Five Finger Nickelback with a singer who used to scream and is now trying to sing very poorly. Is there actual heavy stuff on the new one?

6. Mike

Mike The Traveler

I guess I'm one of the few that just enjoys pretty much every sound parkway has gone through. The new stuff is a lot different than Killing With a Smile, or Horizons which were pretty straight forward metalcore (and I think the metric that people set as being the quintessential parkway sound that they hope to hear from each new album). Ire was definitely a stepping stone towards their latest sound.

The new stuff may not have the same technicality or aggressive heaviness, but I still dig it. I'm enjoying the catchiness, mixed with the solid, but simple song structures and the nifty lead lines throughout. The arena rock vibe is definitely there.

Their sound has changed a bit with each release though to the point where someone who's never heard Parkway would think Don't Close Your Eyes and Atlas were two different bands

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  7. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Not really my cup of tea in general, but I thought the new album sounded pretty good when I gave it a spin. I did find some minor resemblance to 5FDP in there, but it's still way heavier IMO. Gonna give it another spin soon.

8. CTID

CTID Duh-Jent

Everything after Horizons is honestly garbage, imho.

oracles, lewis and Austin175 like this.
  9. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

damn, i remember seeing them once 10 years ago when they played swoop haired karate mosh. now i guess they're trying to do the rock am ring thing. good for them?

10. Austin175

Austin175 SS.org Regular

Nope I quit listening after atlas ( I didn’t really like that album but for a couple songs ), I’m a fan of there older stuff this newer “ Dad Rock” sound they got can kick rocks for the birds.

lewis likes this.
  11. Silence2-38554

Silence2-38554 SS.org Regular

Yeah.... I love KWAS & Horizons but everything after is pure garbage. I tried to like Atlas & Ire but nope. Reverence is the worst of all. Got through 2 songs, never again.

12. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've been a Parkway Drive fan ever since Killing With A Smile and they've been in my top 5 favorite bands since then :metal: I can understand people not liking the direction they've gone in the last few albums, but I actually really dig it. IRE had some tracks that I usually skip over, but was solid overall.

I think Reverence is the best album since Deep Blue. It's pretty much the result of them really tuning in and developing the sound they started with Atlas and continued on IRE. All the best elements of those albums, plus a bit of older style here and there. It's a heavy album, but not in the same way as Horizons or KWAS in that a lot of the songs are very deliberate and hit hard when the mood/structure calls for it rather than having fast riffing and breakdowns everywhere.

I'll be seeing them support the new album with August Burns Red in the fall, which I'm incredibly stoked for :D

Mike likes this.
  13. Mike

Mike The Traveler

Agreed. Listening through it more it's easily one of their best. Every song is a journey and each has it's own flavor that never gets boring at any point. I'm having a hard time picking a favorite, but In Blood, Chronos, and Shadow Boxing are definitely up there.

All of the horizons or bust people don't seem to understand that most creative bands don't want to put themselves in a box and keep rehashing the same thing over and over, regardless of it's success. I think Reverence has a very mature and refined sound plus damn that mix sounds huge. Probably their best to date.

To those dismissing just based on a song or two, I highly recommend giving the whole cd a chance. It really does have a huge range of different sounds that cover all Parkway has done and beyond.

That ending :wub3:

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  14. NosralTserrof

NosralTserrof SS.org Regular

I'll be honest, I kinda wrote them off after Ire came out because I thought they changed too much. I really enjoyed Deep Blue and Atlas when they came out, so the change was too much.

Though after listening to "The Void", I can totally appreciate it. Its totally understandable to not want to play the breakdown to "Idols and Anchors" for the rest of their musical careers, and honestly, going in this direction is super refreshing.

15. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

I mean it's not bad for what it is, but it's not what I go to Parkway for.
    I loved Deep Blue and Horizons, I liked Atlas, but everything else is a pretty hard pass for me.

It's cool the guys just have fun with it™ though.

16. Jake

Jake GAS Master

I've been listening to PWD since KWAS like a lot of people here. I didn't love Atlas but IRE was a solid album. I've seen them live a few times and it's been great so that's my backstory.

I love this album. I'm fine with the direction they're heading and if they wanna 5FDP it up fine by me. Bought tickets to see them tour this album and I'm stoked about it. Not sure why so many people are hating the change, obviously you'd get bored of playing metalcore after so long.

17. Hellbound

Hellbound €£¥€£¥€£¥€£•

Thanks for bringing this album to light. I have never liked "Parkway Drive" in any fashion but this album has me interested. I already downloaded "Wishing Wells" and "Absolute Power" and it is hard to believe this is the same band. :cool:

18. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I always found them to be fun/safe metalcore. And this new album definitely shows some growth. I’m really looking forward to this.

Also in this vein, I’ve never paid attention to “Of Mice and Men” but their newest stuff I’ve been hearing sounds like some really good metal core. $0.02.

19. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

Pretty much wishing wells got me into this album, just nice to hear a band do something different.

20. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

Horizons is the best album for sure. Most people hate the newer stuff, but I loved Ire. The new album I thought was just ok.