Padalka guitars

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by thinkpad20, Mar 16, 2016.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

I used to be a bit of a toone fanboy (mostly of his earlier work like starfish/dove) but I agree, simon has more aesthetically pleasing modern designs. Toone's aesthetic has just devolved into lumpy reclaimed wood bolted onto chunks of metal. For the kind of money toone wants I'd rather not have my guitar look like driftwood.

2. meta4

meta4 SS.org Regular

You're a lot braver than me! (but I pretty much agree - there are aspects I really like but the 'whole' does not grab me.)

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

If you guys want to hear something funny, he values "Viceroy"- one of javier reyes' 8 strings at 25k$ :lol:
    [​IMG]

4. meta4

meta4 SS.org Regular

I wouldn't judge anyone for choosing to play that but I would for paying that...

5. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

The pickup routs!!! :mad:

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

They fit the whole driftwood aesthetic but look terrible. I know he can do clean work though, none of his other builds have that sloppy of routes.

7. thinkpad20

thinkpad20 plays guitar??

The dramatic individualism of Toone's stuff is compelling, but I find them to be more like art pieces than guitars. I don't know how comfortable that guitar would be to play, for example, and with a price tag higher than the average car, it seems almost like it's intended to be bought by wealthy people who want a conversation piece in their penthouse den. One of the things that I really like about Simon's stuff is that despite all of the artistry in his work, his stuff looks -- and feels! -- like it's really meant to be played.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

I used to love his earlier works because he had a modern aesthetic and made the guitar more sculptural than a lot other modern builders.
    one of my favorites- the starfish:
    [​IMG]
    Toone used to care more about ergonomics but anymore I feel like his builds are less about ergonomics and more about trying to trademark/patent anything he can. FFS he patented a bottle opener headstock :lol:
    i think his guitars normally go for around 10k (which is still quite a lot for an electric guitar imo). Javier got his as a gift from rick, plus 25k is what Rick thinks it's worth, not what the market dictates or what his guitars normally sell for.
    some of the questionable design decisions:
    [​IMG]
    putting a knob in a harder to reach area
    [​IMG]
    mounting volume and tone knobs on separate planes
    super bulky/clunky headless tuning setup

9. meta4

meta4 SS.org Regular

Some of the aesthetic details wouldn't get by Simon. I think of that control plate on Viceroy and how the angles of the body don't really align. Doesn't seem like it would take much to get that better (unless, like with the pickup routs, it's intended to give a rougher look).

Starfish is very cool. Along those lines I like some of what Spalt has done (though I'm not aware of him doing anything more than standard 6 strings and haven't seen him do any multi-scales).

10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

Yeah viceroy really doesn't work imo, it feels too much like they just slapped stuff onto the guitar without thinking about the flow of the design or practicality in usage. It's a bastard child of reclaimed wood/driftwood and high tech guitar that can't decide on which one it wants to be.
    Spalt has some really cool ideas too, I wish he'd build 7 or 8 strings but I guess boutique sculptural guitars are pretty niche as is.
    this is another toone guitar I always thought was really nice, excluding the overly large pickup rings:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Walshy

Walshy SS.org Regular

I really do love Toone's Dove design. That hip bone recess is both functional and classy to look at.

Back to Simon's work again and the grain filled ash looks gorgeous, as usual. It can be quite painstaking to do as well - not sanding the filler back out once you level it. Then again he'll have it down to a fine art at this point, I imagine.

12. thinkpad20

thinkpad20 plays guitar??

Hey look two of our instruments made it into Simon's new profile pic :)

[​IMG]

Yeah, to be clear RE: the Rick Toone thing it's not at all my intention to talk smack; I think it's awesome that Rick is following his own path and provides a fresh and original perspective to guitar making. And I do like a lot of his designs, or at least they interest me. Idk about the prices, but that's driven by the market anyway, more power to him.

13. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

From looking at these pictures, Rick Toone seems like the Ornette Coleman of luthiers.

14. narad

narad SS.org Regular

How about some control cavities?

First my favorite piece of figured ash probably ever in the two-tone finish, like a painting:

[​IMG]

Really simple controls - is that just a passive volume?

And here's mine - the exact opposite. Darkglass pre on dual MM pickups -- all that @#$* crammed in there and he still makes it look clean:

[​IMG]

And a little teaser shot from the fronts:

[​IMG]

I do love how over-the-top badass mine turned out, but uh..I actually just play 70s funk stuff! :) Should be really fun - I wanted to try to branch out into more Karnivool / Intronaut stuff, with a heavier, grittier sound.

Wretched, BlackMastodon and Lotra like this.
  15. Samark

Samark SS.org Regular

Wow, Jason. That bass is magnificent

16. narad

narad SS.org Regular

:yesway: Deposit yet? :lol:

17. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

That grain is just outrageous

18. meta4

meta4 SS.org Regular

Yes. Just passive volume. Pickup is a copy of a 1960s t-bird pickup (originally a lapsteel pickup - quite characteristic and a personal favorite). I use a Broughton high pass/low pass pedal for tone. Have plenty of outboard preamps if needed.

Simon sent some initial assembly photos and it looks fantastic to me - the back is even better in full context (front isn't too bad either). He asked that I wait until he posts some better shots before posting but I'm completely happy with it. Hopefully, I should have it in about a week. Playing a big festival on June 3rd so will get its baptism then.

Yours does look badass indeed.

19. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Wow, nice - what style do you play?

20. meta4

meta4 SS.org Regular

Whatever I get hired for! :flame:

This one is backing a really good Italian guitar player/singer. Pretty straight rock stuff. This is the gig: http://www.gdyniabluesfestival.eu/artysci/the-marco-bartoccioni-band-italy

I played for many years in an African band and about 10 years in a soul band with full horn section mostly doing southern soul/Stax/Muscle Shoals stuff. Somewhat closer to this board also played with the New Orleans 'guitarpist' Phil deGruy (using a 17 string fan fret instrument made by Ralph Novak/Novax) as well as Fred Frith and others.