Ormsby Goliath headless GTR - 6, 7, AND 8 string multiscale

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by A-Branger, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Slaeyer

Slaeyer SS.org Regular

After I posted the review and pointed out the issues in public he simply didn't reply anymore. Maybe that had something to do with his T&Cs at that time stating that going public with issues voids the warranty. Fortunately that's not part of his T&Cs anymore... So IMHO Ormsby isn't trust worthy enough to order from him directly.
    So if I have Ormsby on one side and Thomann on the other I'd always go with Thomann. I literally never made a bad experience with them.

AxeHappy likes this.
  2. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

Without being a law expert, this sounds suspiciously like an illegal practice to me.
    Maybe that's why it's not part of his T&Cs any more.
    Really makes me think twice about buying an Ormsby instrument. Too bad since I was interest in the Goliath AND the bass...

3. kevdes93

kevdes93 Sassy

Yeah honestly reading all of this completely nixed any interest i had in anything ormsby

AxeHappy and I play music like this.
  4. Slaeyer

Slaeyer SS.org Regular

I guess it is. That's probably why they removed it from their T&Cs.

Don't get me wrong. The guitar was okay, but the quality did not justify the price tag

5. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

I'm yet to have a bad experience with Ormsby - I've played a couple of custom shops and a couple of GTRs now, all solid instruments (especially the custom shop stuff, that is on another level entirely). My own ordering process has been quite smooth, just a case of waiting for Run 6 to start manufacturing and shipping in my case.

This comment probably belongs in a thread of it's own, but I think the rise of the internet (and forums like this to a degree) have brought along a combination of instant gratification being expected all the time; and a hyper-critical/over examination of everything (especially when it comes to guitar finishes. Ormsby are pretty clear about their TC's from the get go, and the amount of customer service that they have provided to even the worst of customers has been phenomenal. I feel bad that @Slaeyer had a bad experience with the company but from my perspective I haven't really got anything negative to say about them.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

I had some minor aesthetic quibbles with my goliath but overall I'm very satisfied with it. I think it more than holds up against my vaders/bodens and is definitely better quality than either of the OS8s I owned. Perry and his team actually give a shit about setting up the guitars/doing qc on them, unlike ed yoon's team at strandberg (at least as far as my OS8s went).

7. Exchanger

Exchanger SS.org Regular

Well I did recieve the Goliath GTR 8 already. The quality is good as far as I'm concerned. A teeny tiny scratch on the side of the fretboard (probably a tool that ripped when putting a side dot or filing a fret) is all I could see, and it's really not a problem for me. As Vyn said, we should be careful not to be overly nitpicky. Otherwise it looks fantastic and the pickups sound good to me. Maybe a tad unbalanced, but all the frequencies you'd want are there. I'll do a bit of recording to compare it with other guitars/PU's.
    I would be a bit more critical on the setup side. It had a terrible fret buzz on the 1st and 2nd fret on the D-string. I gave the truss rod a twist and it's almost gone, but I hope it's not because the nut is filed too low for that particular string. The action looks quite high to me since the screws of the saddles are pretty deep but maybe that's inherent to the hipshot ? I never had one before. All in all, it looks to me like the setup guy looked only into the action and not the neck bow. Then again, the truss rod access is awkward so maybe he was just a bit lazy.
    In any case, it's nothing that I can't solve, but it always takes me several rounds of trial and error, and I'm never 100% sure I did a good job.
    I actually had the exact same with a Schecter that cost the same amount (also with a gorgeous finish) so I guess for this price, it's usual practice to put effort in production and keep the setup summary ?

I play music likes this.
  8. I play music

You have to distinguish between things given by law and customer service / quality expectations beyond that. I think it is reasonably to expect the things given by law.
    I don't know about Australia but if a store here sells you a guitar (that is not sold as "decorative article" or something alike) with a not properly potted pickup then this is a flaw that the store can either fix or give you your money back - by law. No T&Cs can be above the law and take you this customer right.
    I see taking your rights away by expressing existing issues publicly also as something immoral.

Also keep in mind that a badly potted pickup is a functional flaw and in no way comparable to for example a not so cleanly done finish that would just be aesthetics but still allows you to use the guitar for its intended purpose.

9. I play music

How much did you pay in the end if you don't mind me asking?

10. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

That part of the T/C's I never saw (I was pretty new to the party), I was referring to the current set. Same deal in Australian Law, if the product has a defect then there's warrenty/repair/replacement/refund options. They main reason I brought up the T/C's in the first place was people complaining about the ordering process, not wanting to wait for their guitars and expecting ''flawless" guitars from a mass produced factory.

I'm not going to comment on what should/shouldn't have happened in Slaeyer's case as we don't know both sides of the story. If Slaeyer's claims are true then that's a violation of consumer law here as well but it's not mine or any of our places to comment on it, it's between Slaeyer and Ormsby. I simply said and I'll say it again, that I feel bad for the guy for having a negative experience with the company but I personally haven't had any bad dealings with them.

11. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

congrats bro! remmeber to make a NGD post so we can see pics :D hehe

and for the trussrod, well thats normal with every guitar. Different climates would make your neck to shift a little.

Heres a pinned post from Perry on the GTR FB group

12. Exchanger

Exchanger SS.org Regular

Guitar itself was 1250 or so, shipping 115, taxes 125 so about 1500€ in total.

Working on it - I'm planning to do a video as well for the sound.

Ah my bad, then. I was mostly worried because it was on just one string but very present. And I'm always scared to mess it up when tampering with it (as in making the buzz worse and the action too high), perfectionnist issues I guess.

13. Slaeyer

Slaeyer SS.org Regular

Maybe the HypeGTR I received was just a lemon...

Actually I've been quite tempted to buy a Goliath but in the end settled on building another headless myself.
    Still I'd never buy from Ormsby again, esp. if I got the chance to buy it from a European dealer...

14. I play music

So 400€ cheaper but with the extra risk. Well, for 400€ you can fix most problems that might occur, so buying direct might still be the way to go. Except if other dealers are cheaper than Thomann.
    Since you said the buzz was only 1st and 2nd fret, I have a strong feeling it's a too low nut. But without having that thing in my hand, I can't really comment.
    If it were the truss rod, it would buzz on the whole fretboard I think.

15. I play music

I think the whole first run had those problems with the pickups not being properly potted. At least I've heard this already like 10 times.

16. Exchanger

Exchanger SS.org Regular

I turned the truss rod a little more, adjusted the action etc... and now the buzz is practically gone, but if you start picking quite hard it's still there and pops earlier with that specific string, at the same time the action on that string is a tad higher, as in, when you compare the fretbards curve to the curve made by the saddles, the D saddle sticks out by 0.3mm or so (eyeballed). I guess it would be ideal to shim the nut groove a little but is it actually possible ? The material you'd use should withstand quite some shear for when you tune and bend the string.

17. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yup, it was a problem in the first couple of runs. Due to the nature of the pickup construction (type of cable used and amount of turns) meant that the wax didnt had enough time to settle in fully. Perry changed this at the factory by making them wax pot the pickups for a longer time, allowing the wax to fully cover the pickup. As far as I know there hasnt been any issues in run 3, and nothing so far in the run 4 Goliaths

18. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yeh not sure whats with yours, maybe the nut was filled a bit too far?... Send an email to Ormsby explaining your situation to see what they recommend

19. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

@KnightBrolaire

are the side dots on your Goliath drunk? Is this a bug or a feature?

better picture I took. no two dots here are on the same plane.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

mine are similar. Not all of them, but I got a couple of drunk ones. Honestly I dont care