Ormsby Goliath headless GTR - 6, 7, AND 8 string multiscale

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by A-Branger, Apr 11, 2016.

1. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

Multiple levels of in-house QC wouldn't mean WMI decides to send fewer instruments with issues. That's misunderstanding how manufacturing QC works.

What it would mean is increased control over materials and processes. A deviation from their standard process could mean an upcharge. This is the same as any other custom order process. You want this special thing instead of that normal thing, sure but it will cost extra. This could be specific cuts of lumber or lumber standards. It could be specific waiting periods for materials to settle after a carving process. It could be a change to the way they perform fretting processes or finish prep. Anything like that.

2. Iamatlas

Iamatlas Atlas

Exactly. There's more to QC than just pass/fail or black/white.
    It's the level of grey which is allowed that will determine a standard to be set for the run.

Don't quote me on ANY of this though guys. It's all stuff that i THINK I remember hearing about in the FB group when the runs were first produced at WMI.

3. SDMFVan

SDMFVan SS.org Regular

That's not QC, that's work process. QC at it's most basic level is ensuring that work process was executed as contracted and meets the agreed to level of quality. I do QA/QC for building construction projects for a living, but the same rules would apply in guitar building. The stuff you're talking about, hardware and wood selections etc. would be QC'ed by saying "he ordered hipshot hardware, does the guitar have hipshot hardware?". I'm sure that you can pay for different levels of that at WMI, and Ormsby certainly shot the moon on that end based on their specs.

What I'm talking about is the person who says "Is this hipshot hardware installed correctly?", which isn't something that should have a price tag attached to it. If it does, that seems like poor business practices on WMI's part. In my (admittedly limited) knowledge of guitar manufacturing at WMI, what really drives the level of QC from them is the number of guitars they don't get paid for. If they know you're in a position to scrap things for blemishes they're more likely to go over them with a fine toothed comb before they leave the factory, because it effects their bottom line. The way to be in a position to scrap things is to not have them sold before they're even built, which is really my whole point.

The proof is in the pudding. I'm not going to post the pics and put another member on blast, but if you look up some of the NGDs for the prototypes that got sold at NAMM you can pick apart the QC from the pictures. The fretboard on one looks like it was rolled by a beaver, and control cavities on several look like they were routed with screwdrivers. People will say "but they're protos!" and credit to Ormsby that people said most of those issues were corrected in production, but the bottom line is that WMI let them leave their factory looking like that. Ormsby selling them like that is another topic for another thread...

4. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

The QC elements I was talking about would have been the checks on each of the items I listed. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

5. ras1988

ras1988 SS.org Regular

Got in on this run for a Macassar topped 6 string. I'll have it custom setup in 5ths. Seems like it's the best platform for trying this out as the fan is perfect to balance the tension for tuning from g-f# without using insane string guages.

6. Exchanger

Exchanger SS.org Regular

I don't know is this has been asked before, but a quick search didn't show any result :
    -Has anyone bought directly from Ormsby and had it shipped to the EU, is so how much were the import taxes ? According to this page it's only 3,7% which is much lower than I thought.
    http://madb.europa.eu/madb/euTariffs.htm?productCode=92079010&country=AU
    I assume I should also account for VAT about 20%. Are there any other unexpected costs ? If not it would be around 1.700€

I saw a Goliath 8 in red/gold chameleon on the Reverb page of Orsmby, and I'm really tempted to just pull the trigger right away, but I want to check before hand for any pitfalls.
    Alternatively, you can apparently order them through thomann but it's already 1.900€. You still have to do a request and it's not clear if you can only get the black and white finish or anything you want.
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/ormsby_goliath_gtr_8_fan_fret_ng.htm

Also I just recently bought other gear, so I would prefer to wait before purchasing anything else. I'm not familiar with the whole runs concept or if it even applies here. My question being, what are the odds that this model with this finish will be out for sale again, or for how long will it sitll be produced ?

I play music likes this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone zone

goliaths aren't coming out in that same color for quite some time. I think the next goliath run isn't for a year at least. if you want the chameleon 8 string, try and get it now. There's a possibility one might pop up used later on but I wouldn't try and wait around if you see one you like now.

8. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

Having bought my last 2 guitars internationally shipped to the Netherlands total price was around 125% of the purchase value+shipping. Purchased it for 800+150E shipping and total cost with tax was around 1200E. Note that your guitar will NOT ship to your shipping address but to the nearest PostNL office location...

9. Exchanger

Exchanger SS.org Regular

Thanks for your advice ! Yeah +25% makes sense with VAT + import tax then. There is a PostNL office nearby so that's not a problem :)

I guess it's time to shell out again then :v

10. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

also you can try go to the Ormsby website and search for the dealers in europe and send them an email to see if they have one on stock or if they can get one. I dont think there should be a difference in price buying directly, its more than the european dealers already include the imprt tax on their prices, but at the end it all depends on your own country I guess.

And yeah the next run of Goliaths wont happen for some time, and it would be different finishes

11. Exchanger

Exchanger SS.org Regular

I did first check the delaers section from the Ormsby website. I looked at thomann as I mentionned above, but it seems they just place requests and/or they didn't have the red gold finish. And anyway it would be more expensive.
    I also checked bax-shop (Dutch equivalent of thomann) they do have a few ormsby's but only 7-strings Goliaths (and I'm not looking for a new 7 right now). So I did take the one from Reverb in the end.

A-Branger and I play music like this.
  12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Anyone got any idea what factory ormbsy had to use for their hipshot hardware when hipshot themselves let them down?.
    Im in the same boat now where they have been promising me hardware for a month straight and still keep letting me down.

I just want to find this factory myself now and get the stuff direct from them.
    Hipshot are so unreliable now. Once you get the stuff is amazing but its everything else with them thats a ballache

13. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

I might be wrong, but I think the current run does have hipshot hardware, the new manufacturer is for the next run and the new hardware still in prototype stage.

lewis likes this.
  14. I play music

I'm also interested in how much it costs in the end to know if it's better to by directly from Ormsby or I can just as well buy from the next store for same price.

15. Exchanger

Exchanger SS.org Regular

So far, it's a way better deal to buy directly. I already got a bill from DHL for the import tax + VAT and it was like 9% of (price + shipping), so 400€ less than the thomann price. Unless there are still charges to pay upon delivery that I'm not aware of.
    Response was also really quick from their side.
    Note that it's not a custom order but a model sold as such on reverb (a spare from a previous run ? Again I'm not too familiar with the business model of small shops)

I play music likes this.
  16. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

it all depends on what country you are. If you have a dealer in your country then buying directly from them would be the same as buying directly from Ormsby, their price might seem higher but thats because theya re already including all the import taxes you would ahve to pay if you buy from Ormsby directly. If you live in another country then it can get more expensive form a dealer as you might have to pay their markup for import, plus whatever your country adds in taxes too.

no idea how Europe works in regards to import taxes between countries and what not, so try to contact a dealer first if you want. If not buying diretly from Ormsby works perfect

no idea, if Im not worng they find out trough WMI who was the supplier/contact. And I dont think they would be revealing the name either. Plus is one of those things just like WMI that doesnt technically have a name/place/site. Its just a "factory" kinda thing

lewis likes this.
  17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Ah thanks man. What a shame. So i should expect to not be told really.

The situation im in, is the UK dealer for Hipshot, BTN Music, i have ordered through and spoken to soo much the last few months, ive gotten quite pally with him.
    Through him ive made a Hipshot order and Hipshot are literally messing him about.
    one day its "its been chrome plated and ready to ship". Then 2 days later its "its not going to be ready for 2 more weeks".

Been following this pattern for a little over a month now.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  18. I play music

As Exchanger said, the Thomann price is a couple hundred € above where it should be after considering tax and shipping even though I'm in the same country (Germany). Maybe they only get very few guitars from Ormsby but have a high demand, so they charge more than they'd have to. Might have to search other dealers.

19. Slaeyer

Slaeyer SS.org Regular

Really seems to be true. Still I'd go with Thomann instead of ordering directly. First of all you can return it easily if you don't like it and to be honest when I ordered my HypeGTR 7 I was really annoyed when I got it. I really tried to like her, but we had a little of a rough start.
    The quality was below what I expected for an instrument costing 1.7k € (inconsistent binding, dust below the finish, a crooked nut, sloopy routings). What bugged me most was the feedbacking of the bridge pickup. From the point I got it I was not able to use it, because the feedback of that pickup was really bad and I had to have it wax potted.
    Ormsby promised to pay for that, but he didn't... After the wax potting the guitar was fine though. The rest of the issues were cosmetic, but still disappointing for a 1.7k € guitar.
    I also wrote a mail to Ormsby about the issues. His answer was short and simple, he does not see any issue on this instrument.
    He also went silent after I posted a review about the guitar...
    In the end I really liked the guitar but with the QA issues, the bad pickup and the not so nice communication with Ormsby I sold her within several months...

If instead I could have bought the guitar at Thomann, I would not have had any problems;

AxeHappy and I play music like this.
  20. I play music

Thanks for the insight, good point!
    Why did he not pay for the wax potting if promised previously? That's not nice...