Ormsby Goliath headless GTR - 6, 7, AND 8 string multiscale

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by A-Branger, Apr 11, 2016.

1. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Can you elaborate on this at all?

2. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

nop, I asked that question on the FB group and that was the reply from Perry,
    so the only thing I can elaborate is that whatever comes on a Strandberg as a bridge, the Goliath would have the same ?

not sure how can I elaborate more than that:scratch:

3. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Cheers. Most recent I can find is Strandberg hardware being made in Sweden, but I'm not sure that makes much sense with what Perry is saying.

4. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

no idea. But plenty of people already have a Strandberg and they seem pretty happy with them, so I see no problem with the Goliath having the same hardware. I see it as a bonus. Plus way better looking than the Vaders hardware too

5. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Hardware made in the same factory. Not the same hardware.

6. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

If I buy one of these, I kinda think I'll get the painted one, because I feel like the veneer of the photo top would be a hindrance to resale value. You guys find that to be true? I mean, realistically it makes no difference on anything other than the knowledge of its existence, but less expensive guitars have veneers and photos tops, so I'm wondering if that would kill resale. Generally speaking, I have no intention of selling it, so any immediate hype (pun!) would be long gone, and it would be valued on the merits on the guitar as is, and I'm wondering if that's a deal breaker for a lot of people.

7. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

oohh I get you now, I see the point that you were asking.

but we wont be able to tell till the end. It might be the same same, it might be similar. Either way it should be a good hardware, as bieng the same brand as Standberg uses. Also for all his other guitars he is using a custom built Hipshot one just for him, so Im expecting the quality of the Golitah hardwre to be on the same ballpark

8. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

One of the rare times that I like the design of a headless with tuners sticking out on the rear on a chopped-off body end.

Not at all easy making such a mechanism work with good looks.
    Methinks Perry did just that! That white one.. :agreed:

9. pfizer

pfizer SS.org Regular

Interesting design, the Vader-Strandberg hybrid comparison is spot-on. This might become my first headless guitar, since I'm still a little on the fence about getting a Boden OS6 (because of the Endurneck) and the Goliath's price point is right within my budget. The color selection is more up my alley than the Strandberg Boden OS colors as well.

I'm just a bit concerned since based on the anecdotes, the process of obtaining one seems a fair bit more trouble than its worth; I almost pulled the trigger on the HypeGTR run a while back so I'm eagerly awaiting reviews from the ones who did. Speaking of, anybody here get on the TX GTR run? If I was to get a telecaster, an Ormsby TX is on that short list.

10. Lemons

Lemons SS.org Regular

The Endurneck is actually quite comfortable, Ormsby definitely nailed it on the colour selection aspect though. I do have a mate who ordered a TX GTR so I'll report back on that whenever it arrives, but who knows when that is gonna be.

11. pfizer

pfizer SS.org Regular

Therein lies the rub :squint: I live in the Philippines, so custom overseas orders have to go through A LOT more red-tape and I just don't know if it's worth it.

12. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

ordering process in now open

EDIT: (not sure if Im allowed to put the link here)...... so, go and check their website or go to the dealers tread for more info

they have added chambering to the guitar construction now too

there is also a HypeGTR available in 8

13. Go To Bed Jessica

Go To Bed Jessica SS.org Regular

I'm down for a seven string hype on a future run, I think. The reports coming back about the run 1 stuff at the moment all seem very positive.

I'm kinda tempted to jump on this run, but satin clear finished swamp ash really isn't doing it for me. I kinda really want that metallic orange colour they had for the run 1 SX guitars.

Interested to see how the Goliath run comes up. The headless thing isn't my cup of tea at all, although I can appreciate the design that goes into them.

14. Valco

Valco SS.org Regular

Yeah I'm in the same mind set as you. The swamp ash hype is nice, but I'd rather have the Azure Blue!

I'm going to wait and hope they do another run.

15. SDMFVan

SDMFVan SS.org Regular

These are definitely interesting, but I'm always a bit skeptical when a small luthier branches out into offshore manufacturing. In my experience, regardless of what company you use to manufacturer your imports, the quality is dictated by the amount of leverage you're able to exert on them to get it right (ie. the amount of $$ you're spending and they stand to lose) as well as your ability to scrap subpar guitars when they do arrive.

A good example are the photos from the first run of Ormsby imports at the factory. They're on racks alongside LTD guitars and Dean guitars. LTD and Dean have polar opposite reputations as far as import quality, but are made right alongside each other. How can there be such a huge gulf in quality? I would guess it's a combination of LTD being more critical of the instruments they receive from WMI, as well as representing a much larger client to WMI.

Another good example is PRS. Their imports have an excellent reputation, and are made in the same factory alongside the others. I've been in the room in the factory in Maryland where they store all the rejected imports. No exaggeration, there are more guitars in there than Ormsby sells in a year. PRS is a big enough company that they have the leverage to make WMI get it right, and don't have to put out guitars that might not be up to their standards.

I don't mean this as a slight to Ormsby, I'm sure they're doing all their due diligence. I'm just saying that it's difficult waters to navigate, especially when you're selling guitars before the first piece of wood has been cut. If you do a presale for a run of 40 guitars and order say 10 as extras, what happens when 11 show up with flaws?

16. Iamatlas

Iamatlas Atlas

Apparently there are differing levels of in-house QC etc that a customer can request/pay for within the WMI organisation. As far as we are aware (the FB group etc), Perry has paid for and stressed the importance of the highest level of quality and finish from the factory, and also flies to Korea upon fretting to instect the guitars. And after all this, still QC's the guitars by hand in Aus, and refinishes etc. any which are not up to par.

There has been no reason to suspect that there will be any quality issues thus far (aside from the occasional dry/shonky pot that WMI are so fond of).
    I should note that my Run 1 HypeGTR arrives this week, and I'm in for a Goliath as well (I won the insta comp a few months ago) - So I may be a little impartial as far as excitement levels etc go.

The current batch on NGD's though give us hope and promise that the work done to ensure the quality of the guitars produced up to this point has been successful, and that there is an ongoing commitment to it's upkeep.

17. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

I've ordered a 6-string, the blue copper top. Excited to see how it plays! Anyone else get it on the run?

18. Merge

Merge SS.org Regular

I ordered a blue copper 7 string a few days ago, sucks I won't get it until November :wallbash: :flame:

19. SDMFVan

SDMFVan SS.org Regular

I'd be interested to learn more about this. The idea that by paying more they'll send you fewer duds seems...suspect.

wannabguitarist likes this.
  20. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Also if that was the case they wouldn't need to do their own QC in house, I call bull.... on that.