Ormsby Goliath headless GTR - 6, 7, AND 8 string multiscale

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by A-Branger, Apr 11, 2016.

1. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

Im creating this tread to talk about this guitar

[​IMG]

Goliath Headless GTR - Ormsby Guitars - Custom made electric guitars multiscales and basses - Guitar making courses - Multiscale and fanned fret guitars

this is for those who havent yet checked the Dealers section

I originally posted a link on the Vader FF tread but it got that tread derailed. Im sorry for that, so we can continue the talk in here

This guitar for now is on developing mode, less than a week away to open the doors for orders

These are made on Korea on the WMI factory, the same factory that mades lots of the import guitars of the main brands. Then they go to Australia where they get a QC and setup session

so far One color has been revealed

[​IMG]

and there is a really high chance this other color would be on the run too

[​IMG]

a high quality printed top of a copper top guitar. Would be the same quality of print process LTD uses for their graphic guitars

[​IMG]

a prototype is being built as we speak

no idea on specs as they havent announced, but coming from the other guitars in the previous runs these would be

Six string: 25.5" - 27.5" Multiscale
    Seven string: 25.5" - 27.8" Multiscale
    Eight String: 25.5" - 28.2" Multiscale

with ebony fretboard, stainless steel frets, rock mapple necks

price Estimated RRP $1799 AUD = 1366.07 USD as todays date post

other guitars in the previous runs come with a hardcase, not sure is these would too or would come with a gig bag or what. Would keep you posted

[​IMG]

I wante to reply these on the other tread but didnt wanted to keep derailing that talk there

taking it from the a $1170 - 1350$USD for an import altough yes mayyyybe its a bit expensive? not for me, is not really that high s you consider they come with ebony, SS frets, multiscale and with a hardcase. Plus the final QC and settup made on Australia

I get your point, and yes, these guys might have to do an extra QC on Australia, but the thing is they do it. The wont forward a guitar from the factory like other brands, once the guitars arrive to their shop on Australia they go and check the guitar, level the frets, change the plastic nut for a bone nut, check for paint marks ect. If a guitar comes with a paint marks, they would replace you that guitar with one of the spares they order (in the same color), and they or either sell that guitar as a b-stock, or re-spray it on a new color to test new finishes

so how would be the consistency from WMI?.. no idea, thats why they order spares, but be assured the consisted from Orsmby would be good. At elast thats the impression Im getting from following the firsts runs on their FB group.

They just are on the shipping process of their first run of guitars so hopefully we would start seeing some NGD and feedbacks here soon

run two is almost finish at the WMI factory, so not much longer behind

2. Lemons

Lemons SS.org Regular

Don't stress about that derail, this thread is long overdue.

As far as the GTR run I'm sure they'll be good guitars but seeing the first run unfold has pretty much turned me off the idea, for now at least. Although I'm always happy to see a new competitor that has something good to add to the guitar market.

That all being said I'm definitely not a fan of the Goliath, but that's just me, everyone else seems to love it. :yesway:

3. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

mod edit: you know when you make 4 posts to a thread promoting a brand and there's only one post by another person it REALLY makes you look like a shill... let's only bump our threads once per day please and don't crosspost to other people's threads.

I like the shape way better than others headless options. Im curently GASing for a TX shape.

I like what they are doing, its nice to see another option out there for good quality guitars on an affordable price. So Im happy to help promote their brand as I would like to see them grow more. Plus helping a fellow Aussie haha

I know some people are trown off for something?, no idea waht happened. Ive been following the runs and got nothing bad to say, so thats why Im happy to help, as the more people buy, the more they would build guitars.They had a bass multiscale run going on, but not many people are buying so for tat there might not be a future run for example. I didnt had the money, and didnt like the choices of colors they did, but I would like to get on a future.

4. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

What happened with the GTR run?

5. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Please go back and read what I said in the other thread, that's not the point of what I'm saying at all. And I won't derail this thread, if you want to continue talking about it you can feel free to message me about it. The problem is the disproportionate faith in imports vs MiA and other well known countries of origin.

I'm curious as well, all I heard of was a few of the prototypes from NAMM shipped with issues, and I saw plenty of the protos with annoying little mistakes on them when I was out there.

6. Lemons

Lemons SS.org Regular

I'm talking about the constant delays, both the first and second run, and some customers being treated really poorly. I get that a lot of people missed something in writing and were asking obvious questions but unfortunately that's the nature of large scale production.

7. Lemons

Lemons SS.org Regular

Wait so you're doing all this promotion of Ormsby guitars and you haven't touched one or are even a customer?

8. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yeah I read them all :) I get your point, I have no problems with MIA and the consistency they have vs an import would have . Im just trying to show you guys how Ormsby deal with the QC of their guitars before they get shipped out to customers. Like I said I have no idea on hows is the consistency rate of WMI, I know they wont be as good as EBMM or Kiesel, but thats why Perry order extra spare guitars and do the final QC and settup in Australia, in order to have good guitars coming out in the wild. In other words, they wont be any lemons out there (at least thats my impression of it) We have to wait to the first run to finish shipping to see how they start.

the first run is just being shipped as we talk. They just started shipping last week, so far the only people with the guitar in their hands is the locals who went to pick them up at the shop in Australia. Go to the dealers section, there are photos of the guitar finished there.

Second run last time I saw there were some photos from the factory, they are in the painting process, so they should be finished soon.

Not sure how many people from this forum got one, but hopefully we would see a NGD soon from the first run so we can have some real world feeedback about them. Im curious about them too. Im waiting for a shop close by to get their stock soon so I can go and test them out

not yet lol, money's being tight if not I would had. A local shop would get some guitars in the next few weeks, so I would try them on then. Im hopping for a spare from run two in a color that I want

Nothing different to anyone else posting a link to a new guitar. Im not talking about hands-on playability or experience, Im jsut trying to spread the word on new future guitars. I know lots of people dont know about them and I know there are a lot of GAS in this forum about FF and headless :wavey:

Like I said, the more people get into them, the more chance they would keep building them, so the more chance I would be able to jump into one. Strandbergs are too expensive for me, and I dont like the looks of the vaders. Im digging the looks of the goliath so far.

I only showing what I know. The idea of the tread is for all of us to talk bout it and other people share their take/experience with them. Im not selling a guitar. If the feedback is bad, them lets see why, if not them good lets talk. The kind of talk you cant do much on the dealers section ;)

9. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

I really like these guitars, tempting to jump on a run but the scale lengths are just too long for my taste. I do follow the run and am super impressed with the set up detail they go into with each guitar.

10. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I'm definitely interested in these. I have one of the protos from NAMM, and I'm super impressed. It's really a nice instrument. And while I will definitely agree that some countries are known for low QC standards (I'm looking at you, China!), I also know that it's not really fair to prejudge a guitar based on country of origin alone. I've got a few Agile's that are just awesome. And I've got American made guitars that are pure crap. Which, of course, is because Kurt has set up a really good system for his Rondo factories, and the luthiers I got crap from are just crappy builders. So whether these are amazing or meh will depend on how Perry handles the QC.

On a related note, I may have told you guys before about my experience with the R729 Gary Kramer guitars. I got super excited when I heart the spec level, so I ordered one. I finally got it, and the specs were different (like, 12" RB radius instead of 16"), but I wasn't super mad about that. What I WAS super mad about is that instead of two side marker dots at the 24th fret there were two holes drilled out of line with the other markers, and smaller than the other markers. And left as holes. And the scalloping of the higher frets were done well on the bass side, but all chewed up on the FB binding, and undermining the frets on the treble side. So I called Gary's luthier (Leo), and he said he wouldn't take it back, and that the holes instead of side dots were something they did on purpose to make it more exotic (WTF? How about it was done as an afterthought when they didn't do it before), and that the scalloping was to a level to be expected for a MIK build, and that these were still an amazing deal. Overall, not the end of the world (it played well), but the whole attitude pissed me off. So, if Perry handles that stuff well this will be awesome. I love the inspection in Australia, and the attention to detail, and would gladly pay a couple hundred bucks for that. So for me, I would get an 8 string Goliath at $1300 or whatever. Shoot, I was ready to pull the trigger on a Singularity, but I want that 8th string.

11. russmuller

russmuller Cramblin' Contributor

Yeah, there have been lots of delays. However I don't think Perry is at fault for them, and he's been very transparent about the issues that have come up.

As far as customer treatment, there are a lot of examples where Pez has gone above and beyond to take care of the GTR customers. I agree that sometimes the tone gets sour when people are asking the same questions, or they've simply overlooked (or neglected to look for) obvious answers. I've seen people ignore the website, pinned posts, and FAQ's to ask a question, Perry then answers, and then they respond by asking the exact same question again. :wallbash:

You're probably right that it's part of the nature of large scale production. I can only imagine how frustrating it is to try to communicate thoroughly and clearly with 4,000+ people in a FB group. Perry's business model has always involved a lot of personal interaction, so I think it's a difficult adjustment to scale up those interactions to such a wide audience.

12. kevdes93

kevdes93 Sassy

Not a gigantic fan of the body shape but I feel like I might change my mind once I see some real world pictures of them. That red chameleon finish is gonna be sick

13. russmuller

russmuller Cramblin' Contributor

Yeah, I'm 100% on-board for the chameleon finish. Like whoa!

14. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

I cant imagine buying one of these for more than I would pay to get a Kiesel.

15. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I quite like the shape, it works well with the multiscale and headless design. Thats a huge cutaway. The scale lengths are way out of my comfort zone though. Who makes the hardware?

16. Hollowway

Yeah, but these are going to be less than a Kiesel, right? Base price for a VM8 is $1399/$1499. I think these are base price $1329. The AM8 is an awesome deal if you get baseline specs, though. I wouldn't mind one of those (but I hardly need another superstrat!).

17. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

I wish they would not do this "lets reaveal a tiny bit of the image on a daily basis" bs....

18. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

Less than $100 price difference for a proven USA-made instrument compared to a half and half first-run WMI instrument isn't very convincing for the Ormsby. I admire the attempts to bring their instruments from a $4000 point down to a $1400 point but I think that's still a lot of cash for what you're getting compared to what Kiesel has to offer.

That said I own a Dingwall NG2 and its a stellar instrument so when you have no other options for a good quality fanned instrument you pay the asking price.

19. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

Hardware is by the same factory that Strandberg uses

20. Hollowway

Yeah, I don't know this for sure, but I think it's a playful jab at the Kiesel reveals, because the guitar they're slowly revealing has been posted in its entirety for a few weeks already. So it's not really building to any kind of actual reveal.