open c minor tuning on a 7 string

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by varanus, May 7, 2018.

1. varanus

varanus SS.org Regular

I'm probably in the wrong part to be asking this but i just joined. Anyways, I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to tune a seven string to open c minor, if at all possible. would the low b be tuned to g?

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

You can tune any guitar to anything :)
    You have the following notes to pick from: C, Eb, G.
    You can put them wherever you like, in whatever octave you like. Be creative. That's the fun of open tunings.
    A typical approach would be to have the popular CGCGCEb with a low G, yes.
    If you want to go below the usual C, low G would be a good idea. Hard to get a good sound from an octave down C without a 30" scale length and big strings.

But I would suggest experimenting away from the CGCGCEb 6 string portion. It's fun, but only having the Eb on top is missing out on some cool sounds I think. You can get some really fun results reducing the range of the tuning by sticking an Eb in the middle.
    Try CGCEbGCEb , or GCGCEbGC

EverDream and bostjan like this.
  3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Like @Winspear said, you can tune a seven string a lot of different ways. But, if you are already accustomed to C2 G2 C3 G3 C4 Eb4, it might make the transition easier if you add a string on either the top or bottom. Adding a low G gives you a tremendously low note that will lend itself to inverted power chords that sound very thick and heavy. Going for a high G, you'd have access to a lot of close-interval piano-like chords on the treble strings.

If I were you, I'd start with those and also try the other ideas and just have fun with it

Winspear likes this.
  4. EverDream

EverDream SS.org Regular

:agreed: