ONG Gibson 1976 Les Paul custom.

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by pondman, Dec 23, 2017.

1. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

Forgot to post this one.
    76 Les Paul Custom with original case, the case absolutely reeks of mould and after trying everything to clear the smell it still honks.
    I met the seller in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. I had a baseball bat under my coat just in case :duel:

[​IMG]faces360 by

[​IMG]faces359 by

2. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

This looks great and a quite different from what you'd present us as builds. But I do remember you had a soft spot for the Gibson Voodoo line so this would make sense. From those two photos it looks like it's in good condition for it's age but hopefully the mouldy case doesn't mean there's any structural issues with the guitars due to humidity. And meeting someone in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night for wha I assume a cash transaction for a probably relatively decent I amount I must say sounds completely nerve wracking.

Congrats and let us know how it plays and sounds, if your hand allows you too.

pondman likes this.
  3. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Norlin gem right there, damn thats sick.

pondman likes this.
  4. protest

protest SS.org Regular

pondman likes this.
  5. Pablo

Pablo Resident Wanker

Sorry to hear about the mold... but if it’s good enough for Cindy Crawford, it’s good enough for you ;)
    I’ve tried loads of Norlins and they range between sheer perfection and boat anchors - when you find a good one, you know it’s a keeper! Congrats on another wickedly cool fiddle... in the perfect colours for Christmas (though you should add a green strap for good meassure).

Cheers

Eske

pondman likes this.
  6. BigViolin

BigViolin SS.org Regular

My 1980 standard has stolen the lunch money from every historic I've owned.

Sweet score. :cheers:

pondman likes this.
  7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Wine red oh gooooooooood

pondman likes this.
  8. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

I love Gibson's. I've had this one a few years and its an awesome guitar. The frets have are very thin but for me it just gives it more character.
    The seller turned out to be a great guy and invited me up to his massive farm house for a drink and food. He had loads of old highly collectable guitars which is why he wanted to meet me elsewhere. I've bought a few more from him over the years. Me and the other half have stopped over at his amazing house a few times. I've met some great people through buying guitars and quite a few arseholes.

I've tried something very similar to that but it just doesn't work. The only way to get rid of the hum would be to strip the liner out of the case , treat the case and wash the lining. I don't really want to do that with an old fragile interior.
    Thanks for the link though :)

BTW , leaving some Cinnamon sticks in the case makes the smell more palatable.

Strobe, PBGas, NickS and 1 other person like this.
  9. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

I love wine red and gold. I too hope to get a Norlin era custom some day. Not sure why, I just dig them. Gratz, man!

pondman likes this.
  10. cmtd

cmtd SS.org Regular

Awesome axe! I recently got a black 1977. You read a lot of Norlin bashing on the various forums, but I think the 77 I have sounds phenomenal.

I agree about the frets. My first week with it I was ready to pull them for some jumbos, but now I've grown to kind of enjoy them. They may still get replaced with bigger frets some day, but it is certainly an enjoyable departure from every other guitar I own.

There is something special about the mojo with these older Gibsons that just makes them fun to play. Hope you have that same experience and enjoy that guitar!

pondman likes this.
  11. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

My god, I love this.

pondman likes this.
  12. Zeppelinskies

Zeppelinskies SS.org Regular

Ive had a few Gibsons with mouldy cases - I find rubbing the lining over with a cloth dampened with a mix of warm water an 10% biological washing powder and then letting it air dry works a treat. It even worked on a cat urine soaked case (it was a very old cat with bladder problems)

pondman likes this.
  13. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

I bet this thing has some ridiculous mojo. Someday I'll begin hoarding LPCs, lol. Congrats!

pondman likes this.