One does not simply flutter

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by DrPaul, Jun 27, 2014.

1. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

lowest number of springs possible and lowest gauge strings you can stand will be the best scenario for the flutter. high mass trem via heavy block helps, and a tight bar is essential. 6 strings flutter best as already said but i've had an 8 string floyd fluttering like butter, so string number isn't the hugest factor. also, lube the knife edges with chapstic for overall better performance

odibrom likes this.
  2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Maybe I should start a GoFundMe to see if I can raise enough money to do the study. I'd need four as-identical-as-possible trem-equipped guitars with different bridges, as well as three sets of strings for each, and multiple different springs. Then I'd have to do a shitload of fluttering and model the damping factors from the waveforms to see how well the theory matched the empirical data. It's probably cost a few grand and take at least several months to finish, though.

odibrom likes this.
  3. odibrom

odibrom SS.org Regular

... and you get to keep the guitars... best part of the deal! :D

@trem licking, you're right on that part of keeping the arm tight and I follow the same idea

... now back to your (everyone) fluttering technique, how do you do it/relate to what I've posted before?