Oil for an Ebony Fretboard

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Cyborg_Ogre, Jun 22, 2018.

1. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Yep...mineral oil.

I bought a large bottle of "butcher block oil" YEARS ago,
    it's just mineral oil...only ingredient on the back label.

Been working wonderfully so far.

2. V_man

V_man SS.org Regular

I used this and it worked like a charm. Is not that expensive. Comes with some extra things like a cloth and other stuff. I used it on a dean vmnt korea, a esp horizon hrf, a jackson rr1t and a sl2h.

[​IMG]

The906 and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  3. Headache

Headache SS.org Regular

I use that Kyser Dr Stringfellow lem-oil and I think it's amazing. Works on my ebony boards just the same as the maple and rosewood boards.

Plus it smells good!

4. BigViolin

BigViolin Rosewood Boarded Contributor

Surprised no one mentioned Fret Doctor. It's a bore oil developed just for this purpose. It's not cheap but a small bottle goes a long way and it does not take much. Someone gave me the advice years ago to just buy the good stuff and be done with it and I'm glad I did.

5. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

6. BigViolin

BigViolin Rosewood Boarded Contributor

Oops, missed that, thanks for the catch. The op could order it, Amazon has it, but probably would be quite expensive with shipping. Then again I've had the same bottle for a long time maintaining many guitars as it take so little and works really well.

7. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

I was being a bit snarky, apologies for swooping in and correcting you. Your advice is sound though. To not skimp on things that have such large impact on the feel and subsequent enjoyment of your instrument.

8. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I took some Dunlop 65 to my ebony board about half a year after buying it new. Took all the shit off and looks real nice now. The stupid container with the fabric top absolutely does not absorb any oil though. I had to squeeze the bottle super hard to get it to soak through.

9. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The top used to be made of a thinner material, almost like a cotton ball. It was the opposite problem, it would come out like crazy, and I suspect folks complained so they put in that super thick wadding that’s in there now.

You’re right to remove the top, there’s really no reason to use an applicator like that.

10. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

You're supposed to kind of tap the applicator against the fretboard until it starts to soak the applicator, and then apply the oil to the wood. After I did that, I took an old shirt to get it all over the wood, and after that, rubbed it in about a minute later going with the grain of the wood. This worked it into the grain of the wood, as well as wiped up excess oil. I cleaned my fretboard prior to oiling it up, but anything that was left behind was cleaned off from oiling it.

The fretboard plays so much nicer now that the frets are degunked and the freboard has been oiled up properly.

11. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Maybe I just got a bad one, dunno. I basically had to repeatedly smash the applicator into my other hand which was holding a rag while squeezing the bottle at full strength to have anything at all come out. I even left it standing upside down for like half an hour before that. Totally unusable piece of shit but the oil itself works nicely.

12. Kovah

Kovah SS.org Regular

I've been using MusicNomad F-ONE for a few years. No issues