Official Axe-Fx Q&A thread!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by JohnIce, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Enjoyed by 4 out of 5

Please forgive both my inferred ineptitude and attempt to bring everyone down to my level of ineptitude.

I enjoy the IIXL+, seem to navigate its DEPs competently, and will likely pick up a III down the line. It’s a lovely, lovely toy.

However, my personal investment doesn’t extend past the purchase cost of the unit.

Somehow or another, I ended up not feeling obligated to pretend the toy isn’t also just a fashion statement for unimaginative bedroom guitarists who only know to legitimize what, at the end of the day, is a consumer identity by buying Misha-approved gear at a cost of several thousand dollars, for the sake of loading a Misha-uploaded AxeChange patch duplicating $1200 in gear, to be proudly displayed in the background of youtube playthrough videos consisting of the original song audio only, in the hope that those unacquainted with such common youtube shenanigans will comment “Nailed it, bro. Totally nailed it. Hey can you share your patch?”

For many, that is the end-game goal/prestige of buying a unit - And most of them, realistically, won’t even achieve that.

Again: The mere state of having bought and enjoyed the toy does not oblige me to pretend that the above demographic doesn’t exist. No salt needed to describe its abundance. I made up my mind about this principle all the way back when I made my Transformers fuck each other.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  2. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I mean, there are probably tons of people on the axe fx forum who don’t know who misha is.

I bought my axe fx II years ago since it fulfilled my requirements (can be used silently, small, flexible, didn’t require much outboard gear). I bought it because I wanted guitar tones I enjoyed, not because I wanted to be like someone else or have a fashionable unit.

It’s way more flexible than I need and has plenty of features I’ve never tried but at the end of the day the required DSP to run one amp model doesn’t change, whether there are 2 amp models to choose from or 200. I would have bought the AX8 if it were around when I got my Axe Fx II, since it’s cheaper and doesn’t have the features I don’t use. And misha doesn’t even use one of those.

Maybe you originally bought your axe fx for the wrong reasons, or maybe you’re just disillusioned from years of posting on gear forums. This is a gear forum so of course consumerism is taking the front seat here. Go post on a fashion forum if you really want to overdose on people spending real money for internet validation.

Are there posters on this forum that care more about forum hype than anything else? Sure, I could name a couple. But I don’t see it rampant here like it is on YouTube or something. I don’t even remember much surrounding the axe fx iii on this forum, apart from some people getting salty that their axe fx ii isn’t the latest and greatest anymore.

AxeHappy likes this.
  3. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I dunno, your recent statements about "planned obsolescence" etc seem to indicate you do have a peeve against Fractal for some reason. I wish all "planned obsolescence" products actualy still worked after 7 years like my 1st gen axe II does.
    That, and the fact that you are trying to belittle fractal customers, does show some insane levels of salt whether you acknowledge it or not.

Besides, Misha is far from the best known and famous axe owners and users. I mean, Petrucci and Metallica ?

4. Andrew Lloyd Webber

I admit, it’s possible that both the planned obselescence model of consumer electronics or the demographic typical of consumer electronics-lifestyles I described don’t exist - Or at least don’t apply to this product. As far as ad hominems go, I’d rather be salt than pepper.

How far would one need to travel from sevenstring.org to find a place like that?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  5. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I don't feel like it's done out of spite. They continue improving something they've poured a lot of work into so that they can make it better where they see the potential for it to be AND to also avoid being outpaced by someone else. That's business survival. It also makes sense then that they wouldn't keep producing the old unit and that they would eventually stop devoting hours to maintain it when they could be spent on better maintaining the newer one. To me this is just following good development practice.

I agree this demographic DOES exist but at least it's not all Fractal users (or even the majority imo)

6. Decapitated

Decapitated 5150

I just really like to make chug chug and pinch harmonics sounds in my Madison Square bedroom. I just happen to be lucky enough to be able to afford toys such as the III. I’m a simple man whose bank account far exceeds his playing abilities.

7. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Here, here!

Decapitated likes this.
  8. LeviathanKiller

I think I live near you. I heard chug chugs and pinches right around the time of that post... :lol:

Decapitated likes this.
  9. lewstherin006

lewstherin006 SS.org Regular

Since I know this is going to get asked or has already been asked.

10. Decapitated

Decapitated 5150

Guilty!

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  11. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

So i pulled the trigger on an XFX-2 from G66 today.
    I've been a Kemper user for ~7 years now (fuck, i'm old) and i intend to give the XFX a run for its money in the coming month and decide if i'm keeping it.

Where do i start? Is there an Axe-FX II equivalent for Sonic Drive's excellent "creating a first preset" video?
    Is there a central repo with best practices for the amps?

Please help me make the most of this month...

12. LeviathanKiller

This video with the III applies to the II as well. There's not really much of a difference just yet

Here's videos specific to the II though

Quitty likes this.
  13. Decapitated

Decapitated 5150

This is for the AX8 but helpful nonetheless, IMO.

Quitty likes this.
  14. lewstherin006

lewstherin006 SS.org Regular

Also, Leon Todd's youtube channel has tones of great videos on how to build patches and to dial in certain amps.

Quitty and LeviathanKiller like this.
  15. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

Awesome!
    The balancing thing between low and high strings is mighty weird to me, but worth a shot.
    Thank you, guys. I read a bunch, got some samples from Sinmix and found yek's guide. I think i'm good. XFX should be coming tomorrow.

I'm thinking of documenting my journey for the next poor asshole who has to do this...

16. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Okay, so I have this rig idea planned out, so I'm trying to see if it's possible.

Is it possible to use the 4CM (7CM?) on a dual-amp setup with the AX8?

17. Decapitated

Decapitated 5150

Not sure if this helps, but worth a watch.

18. LeviathanKiller

The "Stereoizer" Enhancer type that just got added to the Axe-Fx III is killer guys. I'm sure it has uses for being apart of the actual tone of a preset but for me it's REALLY GOOD for playing with headphones. It gives you more "distance from the amp in the room". I can't really describe it that well sadly. I might record a comparison clip late tonight or some time tomorrow to let you guys test on headphones. It gives me a big smile whenever I kick that on when needed. Helps prevent that quickened set-in of ear fatigue you get from headphone use.

Anyone switching from older FAS units, FracTool (that preset converter) is good-to-go. I successfully converted all of my Axe-Fx II XL+ banks last night and loaded them onto the III.

Some hings I've noticed so far on the Axe-Fx III:
    • Editing is SOOOO much easier on the unit now
    • Scene volumes were taken away in the III but I believe Cliff is about to add those back by putting Scene volumes in the Output block. (Output block replaced the FX Loop btw)
    • Tuner seems much better and it's nice to have the mini-tuner on main screens.
    • Everything loads faster when switching presets and scenes compared to the II XL+.
    • Input boost was added to the Amp block. A lot of people could probably get away without a drive block now if they just need a basic metal tightening boost. It lets you choose from a few drive types (some are the same as what's available in the Drive block itself) but there's no parameter tweaking.

For anyone getting a III, some things Axe-Edit still lacks (as of this post, probably will be fixed soon though):
    • Can't copy a channel to the clipboard yet to paste in another bock of the same type. Really need this feature for finalizing the preset upgrading
    • Cab manager isn't implemented just yet
    • Those row rearrangement slides aren't in yet either

19. Decapitated

Decapitated 5150

Yeah...the III is just plain awesomeness. Sounds so good.

20. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Yup, exactly what I'm looking for.