Official Axe-Fx Q&A thread!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by JohnIce, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

Considering selling my Axe 2XL to get an AX8 instead for function gigs and whatnot. I never really use 2 amps at once anyway (only swap through XY) and the built in pedalboard saves me from carrying an external one bar an expression pedal or two.

Thoughts?

2. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I haven't tried it yet because I haven't used my Axe it a bit since I have been building pedals, but plan to try it next time I play it. I haven't updated to 9.03 yet. I figure I will update next time when this becomes part of the default settings.

3. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

If you don’t use any of the features you’d lose, then it sounds like a good idea to me. You lose what you don’t need and gain a pedal board. If the AX8 was around when I got my Axe FX II, I would have bought it instead.

4. Petef2007

Petef2007 SS.org Regular

Hi guys,

So the search was concluded and I have my self a Mark II Axe FX II. I adore it. I adore it even more running though the power amp section of a Laney IRT Studio. I do however have a couple things i'd like to explore, but not quite sure how to go about doing them.

First question is, I have a pair of powered XLR studio monitors. I'm curious if I can use the Axe and the Laney in tandem to get the preamp from the Axe, the power amp from the Laney, and then somehow use the Axe to load an impulse on to the whole thing and route the audio through the monitors, and if so how would I go about doing it? Ie. ultimately take the cab out of the equation and use impulses but still have the full Axe + tube amp tone.

Secondly, if i'm running the Axe via 4cm into the Laney, can I use the Axe as both an FX unit and an impulse loader for the Laney? Or to accomplish this (and question 1) do I have to have some kind of impulse loader connected to the Laney itself?

Cheers for any help guys - just curious about how many options I have for sound routing.

5. pott

pott SS.org Regular

I am planning on using a Mackie 402VLZ4 with anAX8 as per the below (since I'm a mixing n00b I did most of the research etc... but wanted to confirm my understanding anyway).

I currently have an Amazon Echo Dot connected to a pair of JBL305s. I also want to use the AX8 with these speakers (for now at least), so I was scoping ways to ensure I don't always have to plug things in/out.
    One advantage of the Mixer here is that, while I can't turn inputs on/off, I can control their volumes independently to the same speakers, enabling me to play along with the Echo: great for practice!

Here's what I had in mind:
    * Guitar to AX8
    * AX8 to Line In 3/4 (stereo)
    * Echo to Tape In
    * Headphones to headphones (duh)
    Which means I can then always keep the Echo on, as it is now, to the speakers, but also use it when playing through the AX8, and have both signals (or either, with the volume controls), through the headphones.

Are my expectations correct?

6. Volteau

Volteau the Bard

Was wondering if you guys could help me out with something. I had made a song around 3 years ago or so with a preset called ABCD=ms, FB, Jitter, Mod (comes with the vanilla banks).

Problem is, with all the firmware updates, the sound of the patch changed RADICALLY (I was using 11.05 at the time)! I've downloaded the old firmwares, the old Axe edits, the old everythings trying to get the sound back, and it just isn't working. Would be a depressing to have lost that vast, spacey/ambient sound (which is the center piece for a song for my second album, which has me kinda desperate).

If any of you can help, that would be great.

Thanks!

Here's the clip:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3uj1mwh4b8uabib/Tone Clip.wav?dl=0

7. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Have you used FracTool to convert the original preset?

8. Volteau

Volteau the Bard

Huh. Haven't done that. Not sure what that is to be honest or how it's done, but hey, google. Thanks!

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

my bands guitarist just picked up an Axe FX II used.

Can someone tell me how to do a dual patch where 1 side goes to a poweramp/cab and the other side goes to the P.A with a cab sound ON? Atm he is abit in awe of the unit and seems to be slightly struggling on how to use it.

10. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Have the main amp->cab preset go to the output on the right side, to the main outputs. Before the cab block, split the signal and go to the FX Loop (Put an FX loop block under the cab block). Then then use FX Loop/Out 2 to go to the poweramp/cab.

lewis likes this.
  11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

thank you! :)
    I will send him this now.

12. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

13. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I wonder if you guys have checked out 9.04 yet? I did briefly, and I am hearing an improvement in the low end "depth punch thunk" you hear on amps like Rectos and 5150s. Glad to hear this is finally being improved. I always thought this was one of the weak areas. :)

14. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

You just needed to dive into the deep edit options of the power section, they just tweaked a few things. The models are very dependent on how you monitor the unit as well.

The speaker resonance frequency needs to be adjusted based on the actual monitoring speaker to get the best "thump" and "thwack" for a given model.

15. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

No, in the new update, 9.04, Cliff said he changed something in the compression interaction between the poweramp simulation, and speaker simulation. It makes the lows and highs less compressed. I can really hear and feel the difference in the low end "thunk". Something IS different about how the low end jumps out at you. The low end punch has always been a weak point, IMO, and I have tweaked this for years. Something is definitely different, and is moving in the right direction.

16. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

I like it when nothing after the “no” contradicts the post being replied to.

Thanks Vick1000 for the helpful advice to do with dialing speaker resonance in with regard to the physical speakers being used. It yields results faster than waiting a month or more at a time for firmware updates to dial my gear in for me.

17. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

It doesn't contradict the post. That post was a direct quote of mine talking about the most recent update. It is common knowledge to adjust the speaker resonance for this, but the most recent update has improved this process, which MANY people have asked for, for years. I have used those deep parameters for years... still doesn't change how the recent update has changed this.

18. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

The introduction of speaker compression was in 9.03 I believe, replacing the speaker drive parameter. 9.04 just tweaked the default values of 9.03 to better match the default speaker cab/IR selection to each particular amp. You could always tweak the compression levels of the output to open up the amp range, but the speaker resonance is more critical to altering the "thump/thwak" of a given model. Changing the speaker res-freq will move the "tump/thwak" around your fretboard essentially, depending on some other factors of course.

19. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I installed it about an hour ago and while subtle, the bottom end punch does seem better. Granted it’s probably subtle for me since I use a 2/50/2 with the axe fx. I’m using the 3ch Orange Modern model.

Pretty similar sound to running into my dual recto’s poweramp (poweramp sims off).

20. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I thought the newer controls introduced over the last few firmwares (motor drive, speaker compression, etc...) all sounded pretty horrible. I usually had to turn them to zero because they all introduced some nasty cardboard lows.

However, 9.04 didn't just change defaults. It improved:

RELEASE NOTES
    Improved speaker compression modeling and interaction with power amp. This results in a more dynamic response.
    Changed default cathode follower hardness (CF Hardness) to 0.75 to align better with measured values.

The improved "interaction with the power amp" I think is what is making all the difference. Cliff also said:

The treble didn't increase really but the compression curve changed which gives the impression of more treble. The bass and treble overall are less compressed which makes things more open and gives more thunk in the low end.

So, something was changed with the compression curve of the speaker and poweramp interaction.

The CF Hardness default value was changed. A higher value makes the sound more aggressive, and less smooth. I can hear this in the upper mids.