Officer Mohamed Noor fatal shooting of Justine Damond

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Mike, Jul 17, 2017.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

cwhitey2 and Randy like this.
  2. possumkiller

possumkiller Flying V for Vendetta

Mount it on the "accessory rail" on the frame in front of the trigger guard. They have combination flashlights/lasers and shit that mount there I am sure a mobile phone sized camera would be no problem to fit in. Have it permanently mounted with a switch inside the frame activated by a trigger pull. Or have it set up to be activated similar to the lanyard safety (a police sidearm with a coiled lanyard that if pulled out of the pistol activates a safety where the weapon cannot be fired [in case a person takes the weapon from the officer so it can't be used against them or anyone else]) so that as soon as the weapon is drawn from the holster it begins recording.

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Hey, glad to see some movement on this front.

Reading between the lines elsewhere, you seem to know much more about this stuff than, well, certainly me, but also probably more than a handful of our membership. I think having it begin to record as soon as it's drawn from the holster makes more sense than a trigger pull, since I have to imagine what happens in the seconds to minutes before the trigger is pulled matters just as much as that instant. Would it make more sense though to have it begin recording from the moment the safety is flipped, or do police issue weapons not generally have safeties? I'd think they would, but, well, I think rather a lot of things that seem to not be standard with police protocol, so whatever. :lol:

4. possumkiller

That is actually a good idea too. Either way I don't see it being used unless it's forced on them. Having it integrated inside the weapon would need to be a proprietary weapon or a very competent gunsmith able to do the modifications in each department. Police agencies are able to order the weapons that they want. There are a lot of different sidearms in use by local, state, and federal agencies all over the country. You would also have the officers that have some conveniently placed "obstruction" over the lens.

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I think that could be dealt with, though - if the penalty for pulling the trigger (or even taking a gun off safety) with an "obstructed" lens was high enough (i.e - not that dissimilar from a wrongful use of force conviction), then you'd see a whole heck of a lot less "obstructed lenses."

There's a secondary benefit, too - I think most of us are in agreement that, in return for granting a law enforcement officer the ability to use lethal force, you're also granting them the obligation to be extremely judicious in how they use that force. Not to shoot first and think later, but be absolutely certain that their or someone else's life is on the line before they pull the trigger. Having a guaranteed recording of the shooting is a deterrent, sure... But, if you as the officer were also worried about the outside chance of a camera malfunction/accidental obstruction/any other reason why the camera could somehow fail to record and you would face hefty consequences for pulling the trigger... Well, you'd need to be pretty damned sure that pulling the trigger was justified.

possumkiller likes this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone zone

I mentioned this wayyyy back in the beginning of this thread, but I think the easiest way is to have the camera act work like the grip-activated lasers/taclights. Cop grabs his pistol, bam- it starts recording everything. cop lets go of their pistol grip- then pistol stops recording.

7. possumkiller

I admit I'm about ten years behind on gun tech but I remember the grip lasers being pretty hard for me to activate. Unless it could be tied in to a grip safety button like on a 1911 style pistol.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone zone

there's some really easy to use grip based lasers now. My mom actually had me put one on her 92F :lol:

9. vilk

vilk Very Regular

He's free :noplease:
    Is it wrong to be hopeful that there's vigilantes waiting for him?

10. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

No because the system is broken. They know they are above the law...because we as a country continually allow it. It's honestly sickening at this point.

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Out on bail, while awaiting trial? Or were charges dropped?

If the former that's normal and a routine part of the criminal justice process, and he's entitled to every right afforded anyone else accused of a crime up until he's actually tried and found innocent or guilty. If the latter, well... From afar it seems hard to believe he's innocent but I don't know the full story.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  12. bostjan

On bail.

For me, the biggest shock of all of this is the astounding lack of facts released.

13. bostjan

As of 25 June 2018, still no date set for trial. I think this is beyond the point where it's reasonable to ask what's taking so long. Last news was from early in May, when Noor refused to enter a plea (you know, "guilty" or "not guilty" or even "nolo contendre"), which, to me seemed kind of weird that he'd do that, and even weirder that the court would allow him to do that as if they didn't really want to hear a plea anyway.

14. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The arrest warrant was only issued on March 20th.

Our system is very, very slow. They have up to 275 days till the trial, and that time can be extended for a number of reasons.

It took almost a year from the time of the incident to the conclusion of the criminal trial in the Philando Castile case.

15. bostjan

It's been over 11 months since the incident, in this case.

The Yanez trial concluded about 11 months after the incident with Castile. In the case with Damond's shooting by Noor, the trial hasn't even started. Also, in this case, the public has not heard a word about what happened.

Both are sad cases, but, for a lot of people, this case represents how everything that was supposed to happen to make sure there wasn't another Philando Castile, simply didn't happen, and cops continued shooting people without any proper reason to do so. "He told me he had a CCW permit," or "He was running away," or "We heard a noise and it was dark" are just dumb-as-hell reasons to shoot a person. Without directing my frustration directly at Noor, or Yanez, or any of these police officers in particular, it is evident that we live in a system where it is okay to shoot an unarmed civilian during a routine traffic stop or during a wellness check, or pretty much any time, for any reason whatever, and the case will not be properly prosecuted by the courts.

If Noor was not in a police uniform and had done exactly the same thing, he would have been held in custody without bail, and probably convicted by now. If we wish to say that we need to hold the police at a higher standard, so the court needs more time in order for the prosecutor to investigate, let's be clear that the investigation by BCS concluded in September of 2017.

possumkiller and Mike like this.
  16. bostjan

Double post again.

17. MaxOfMetal

I agree that if Noor wasn't a cop and/or Damond wasn't a white lady, this would have concluded significantly faster.

That said, it seems that Noor isn't cooperating, which slows things down considerably in our system. By "not cooperating" I mean he's not talking. At all. To anyone. Hence why there's no plea yet.

All I'm saying it's not at the point where I think anything nefarious on the part of the state is taking place. At least none more than the usual cop killing an unarmed civilian. It's Noor's right to a speedy trial, if the defense feels that pushing that back is in the client's best interest, they'll do it.

18. bostjan

Agreed. I guess that's what's so upsetting about these cases, for me. It's this "ho hum, another cop shot another unarmed civilian" mentality.

19. MaxOfMetal

It's right up there with school shootings and mass shootings. Not to mention accidental shootings, especially of the young kids finding thier parents guns.

20. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

This is kind of my issue in a nutshell.

There's this belief, one that I think is broadly justified, that cops are heroes because they lay their life on the line to preserve the peace every time they go out on patrol, and every day they're out there could very easily be their last. This is why we give them lethal power. But, a strong corollary to this is that with that power comes great responsibility, and the reason what they do is heroic is because they're NOT supposed to use it at the slightest hint of a threat. If you shoot because "it was dark and I heard a noise," you're not risking your life to protect citizens, you're risking their life to protect your own. You're not a hero, you're a coward with a gun.

Again, I do believe that the majority of cops deserve their reputation for heroism, but every single time one of them guns down an unarmed civilian or a civilian where they have no clue if they're armed or not, they're damaging the reputation of their brothers in blue.