Officer Mohamed Noor fatal shooting of Justine Damond

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Mike, Jul 17, 2017.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

A villain is simply a hero whose "means to an end" are incompatible with justice. :2c:

TedEH likes this.
  2. CapnForsaggio

CapnForsaggio Cap'n (general)

Really?!

What "means" would Noor have needed to use for his murder of an innocent person to be compatible with justice?

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

^ I think you missed the point. Calling someone a hero or villain is just a semantic/perspective difference. I don't mean to put words in anyone's mouth, but I think the intended message was that you can't justify a person's actions with a blanked and generalized "they're heroes so they can get away with stuff sometimes", or "they're villains, so everything they do is bad".

Or in other words, being a cop doesn't immediately make you a "hero".

4. bostjan

:agreed:

I would never call Noor or Yandez heroes. That was my point, actually. People say police officers are "heroes" because of the crap they have to deal with on a daily basis. I don't think that dealing with crap on a daily basis is any prerequisite for heroism, and obviously shooting an innocent person due to any amount of unrelated crap is about as close to the antithesis of heroism as I can imagine.

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Well, and to clarify, that was my point - the heroism would be in being startled while on duty and NOT responding by immediately opening fire, on the off chance that your life might be at risk. These are people who have sworn their life to protect the public. Shooting at the first sign of uncertainty and potential risk is NOT consistent with that pledge.

In other news, this story IS getting legs - top story on the Washington Post's home page earlier today:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...s-505am:homepage/story&utm_term=.d29b41597499

6. bostjan

Yeah, this story should have had legs two or three years ago when Jamar Clark was shot by police. Clark had been shot in the head at point blank while in police custody for resisting arrest. Reports conflict as to whether he was handcuffed or not at the time, but he was unarmed. He might have been in some trouble prior to the incident, but, I neglect to see the relevance and also disbelieve the notion that the police who shot him had checked his criminal history.

No one had been charged for shooting Jamar Clark.

The above also happened in Minneapolis.

7. Elwood

Elwood SS.org Regular

Any more on this, not heard much in the UK.

8. bostjan

Nothing. A few days ago, they searched Damond's home looking for drugs, bodily fluids that might show signs of drugs, and drug paraphernalia, and found nothing. When people reacted to that, the authorities said what I would paraphrase as "don't be so paranoid." It might be months before any more information comes forth, and it might well be that investigators hope people will simply forget about this during that time frame. Probably by then, at least, there will be another innocent person shot by police in Minneapolis, which will take attention off of this investigation.

Pardon my skepticism, but nothing ever comes of these shootings in the USA. Jamar Clark, Philando Castile, and 8 other unarmed people in the past 17 years (not counting anyone armed with what might be mistaken for a weapon, either) have been shot by police in Minneapolis and none of those police officers faced jail time.

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

You can - cynically - hope it will be different with the victim white and the shooter not, but the problem is the police have little outside oversight and are responsible for investigating their own abuses, and they have little incentive NOT to protect their own.

Hollowway likes this.
  10. Elwood

Elwood SS.org Regular

Tough situation. It's pretty hard to hear how little is being done.

11. bostjan

Mayor Hodges is evidently too busy with the investigation to file a budget plan, even though four days after the shooting, she was able to fly to California for a campaign financing visit.

If this investigation is taking up so much time, why has the public heard nothing about what might have happened?

12. bostjan

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/probe-justine-damond-shooting-months-article-1.3451844

I guess that's basically it for updates, then, of which, from the authorities involved, we have gotten... zero.

If they are not pursuing indictment, then they need to offer an explanation. Who in their right mind is accepting of this. The story is simply fading away, just as predicted. It seems no one cares anymore, just like Sandra Bland and so many others... this will probably end up as another wrongful death suit settled out of court with little to no media interest.

Mike likes this.
  13. Elwood

Elwood SS.org Regular

It seems unbelievable - I thought at one point the Australia government was demanding answers?

14. HeavyMetal4Ever

HeavyMetal4Ever SS.org Regular

If it's not on the news, the general public don't care, and if the general public have forgotten then the government will be more than happy to let this slip away into oblivion.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

It'll probably resurface when there's some development in the case or the investigation, but it has been awfully quiet...

16. Humbuck

Humbuck SS.org Regular

I agree...it will resurface. It will take years maybe and it's a disgusting shame but you'll hear about it again.

17. bostjan

Another non-update on the back pages of the national news - the investigators are now probing both officer's mental health records. Not a word about anything tuning up, but it would be early for that. I still think that an attorney's statement or some public facts from PD would be better late than never.

18. bostjan

So, BCA completed their investigation and handed over the report yesterday. Today: nothing. I guess no one cares anymore.

19. Humbuck

Humbuck SS.org Regular

I'm sure her family and their lawyers care plenty.

20. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. That said, I'm sure the most that will happen is the cop will be put on paid leave or some crap.

This.

Mayor Hodges sounds a tad dodgy.

I must've missed something while reading through this thread, but why is Australia involved in getting answers in this tragedy?

I highly doubt there is even much of an investigation going on. Their investigation probably consists of pretending to follow leads, pretend to read statements, etc. to pass the time until they can move onto something else.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    bostjan likes this.