Odin Deluxe VST test run

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Michikawa, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Michikawa

Michikawa SS.org Regular

https://soundcloud.com/mattipaalanen/djent/s-H0jMX

My right hand technique is just not good enough for playing technical djent. Hence I decided to test if I might be able to use sampled guitars to that effect. Odin seems like a fun tool to fool around with and here is my first fast test run where I tried to create this kind of Sol Niger Within chaotic mess. Pretty fun!

2. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Definitely sounds like samples of a guitar.
    Why not just work on your right hand?

3. Michikawa

Michikawa SS.org Regular

I guess it all comes down to realities, balance between what is good enough and what to spend time on. I'm closing my 40s, soon two kids etc. I just don't have the time to spend on actual intense guitar practice. If I'd want to play something like this really well, it would be just too much to take away from everything going on in my life. It just doesn't feel like a thing I'd truly want to prioritise and it just doesn't feel fun enough. For me, this kind of sampled sound is close to "good enough" so that if I spent some time tweaking the midi notes to make it slightly less obvious, it's fun enough to listen to without feeling too far out. When I play guitar for real, I like to play what I already know well, which is fusion / jazz and that kind of stuff.

Now, if I still were in my 20s the whole thing would be different.

When I play real guitar, I enjoy the most playing stuff I already know how like fusion / jazzier stuff that doesn't require this kind of extreme tightness.

4. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Whatever floats your boat. There's no wrong way to make music.

Michikawa likes this.
  5. NickLAudio

NickLAudio Audio/Video Engineer

I can't help but think of the guitar intro to this...

On a serious note, you can make some pretty snazzy stuff with samples. Example: Anup Sastry with the sampled guitars of his early vids...

2:02 through 2:18 gets me every time. So good.

Michikawa likes this.
  6. pipelineaudio

pipelineaudio SS.org Regular

Jesus, thats a Virtual Instrument????? I can see a significant lowering of stress and unwanted human/neanderthall contact coming up.

Wait around 2 hours after booking for a meathead to show up with an unintonated guitar, old strings, loose output jack and crackly electronics, just to plug it in and find out he can neither play in time or in tune in the amazing event that he actually knows the song, or just get a MIDIot to punch the numbers in and relax?

I was born at night but I wan't born last night