Octopi are from outer space, according to Newsweek

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bostjan, May 17, 2018.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

http://www.newsweek.com/alien-octopuses-outer-space-930942

Yeah. I'm not a biologist. But I can tell you the article is tripe.

The claim that there are no octopus fossils is bogus. There are a lot, considering the animal is a soft-bodied organism that lends itself to full biodegradation. The implied claim that octopi have no evolutionary ancestors is also bogus, seeing as how there are plenty of fossils of nautiloids and even soft cephalopods from 300 million years ago.

Also, the octopus has the same chemical makup and DNA-RNA-protein system as all other animals on Earth makes it extremely unlikely to have come from some completely alien source. Also, are we supposed to believe that octopus eggs would not only survive an impact even that would result in an interstellar comet coming from a destroyed planet, but that the eggs would somehow adhere to the comet?

What are your thoughts?

budda and KnightBrolaire like this.
  2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

It's stuff like this that makes people say they don't trust science.

Ebony and bostjan like this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

Yeah... no. the chances of some cephalopod creature hitching a ride onto space debris or surviving re-entry is pretty fanciful (to put it mildly).
    There are cephalopod and nautiloid fossils out there, but the conditions for preserving soft tissue cephalopods (ie squids or octopi) are very specific, which is why it's hard to find those types of fossils. Essentially you have to have the corpse preserved under layers of mud/sediment/tar/encased in ice (which still isn't a guarantee that the tissue will be preserved due to microbes that feast on the decaying tissues). Those kind of conditions are why we've found intact wooly mammoths or human mummies, but it's pretty hard to find those conditions in modern oceans (let alone excavating the ocean floor for them). Kentucky and Oklahoma are actually really good places for finding nautiloid fossils as they used to have oceans/reefs there millions of years ago, which dried up and left behind preserved nautiloid shells/beaks. Occasionally you'll get full fossils because the conditions were juuust right.

bostjan likes this.
  4. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Can't blame Newsweek, the study itself is a joke. The usual stuff that's published by guys who barely passed their statistics class and never heard of Occam's Razor. On the other hand, if your theory's claim is anything less than revolutionary, it probably won't be published anywhere...

5. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

About 15 years ago or so something happened in this country that made the general public a bunch of screen-staring mouth breathers. I’ve stopped paying attention or validating almost any media or news because of this kind of nonsense...

6. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Newsweek: "Someone says that there are fun things to think about, which could indicate that octopuses might have come from space. They likely didn't, and there's no proof they did, but it's fun to think about these things."

Internet: "Newsweek says octoposses are aliens! They R DUM!"

By the way, while there are several schools of thought on the plural of "octopus", "octopi" is about the least correct. It would be either octopuses, or octopodes "oct-TOP-oh-deez".

7. bostjan

Well, to be fair, Newsweek isn't doing anything more than regurgitating what the Journal article says.

What a joke. These guys are probably getting federal grant money for this.

8. KnightBrolaire

I'm always disheartened by news outlets citing bullshit correlational studies or self-reported phone surveys as though they're actually scientific. People doing shit statistics/making up data is exactly how the whole "autism is caused by vaccines" shit started.

9. KnightBrolaire

Oh don't be the guy that also says fishes is the proper plural version of fish. It just feels so wrong to say fishes.

10. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

11. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

My understanding is that fish is the correct plural for multiple fish of the same species, whereas fishes is used to denoted multiple fish of two or more different species. It's been a while since I've studied grammar, though, so don't hold me to that.

LordIronSpatula likes this.
  12. bostjan

1. The Newsweek article is very clearly misrepresenting the confidence with which the quoted article states that octopi (yes, I call them "octopi" - I don't care about the Greek/Latin mixture). They said in their headline:

The article they quoted says:
    It's still a stupid thing to see in a scientific journal, objectively speaking, but it doesn't say what they said it says. It's also a tiny tiny part of a bunch of other things that I count as silly things to have to see in a scientific journal, but still - it's misrepresented.

2. As fun as it might be to think about the possibility of alien DNA coming to Earth on a meteor by means of a virus or whatever, there's no evidence of such. The source article seems to go overboard following that line of thinking, with zero physical evidence of anything of the sort! I think it's just more of the stuff that makes people think scientists are a bunch of idiots with nothing better to do with their time.

13. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

The news regularly reports the results of attention grabbing/clickable "studies" regardless of whether or not the results been replicated and generally without any understanding of the study itself beyond what's in the abstract (if that). I remember seeing a video where one news anchor eventually said something to the effect of "with all of these conflicting conclusions about [food] you might as well just accept the results you like the best". Thanks to this nonsense, people who don't really pay attention are left confused as to whether a food they like is the cure for or cause of cancer/obesity/whatever.

bostjan likes this.
  14. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I refuse the believe it for the most puerile of reasons. The possible discovery that alien life is real in my lifetime is, like, a now-I-can-die-in-peace thing... having it be octopi the whole time would be cheap and unsatisfying. Not like this, scientists! Find me a fucking flying saucer dammit! :lol:

15. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Aliens are living among us?!

16. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

Dude, they are everywhere....how have you not seen them...fuck...im one.

BenjaminW likes this.
  17. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

Andrew Lloyd Webber and budda like this.
  18. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

19. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

20. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I don't believe it. This is the closest we have in proving the existence of Cthulhu, and everyone's just balking at it.