Obscura - New album updates

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by chopeth, Mar 30, 2015.

1. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

After so many years changed an iconic and badass guitar for a boring one... money money money moooooney!

Tech Wrath and takotakumi like this.
  2. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Y'all saying that like ESP won't build him whatever crazy god damn point machine he can come up with. You forget, this is ESP we're talking about, not Gibson or Fender.

takotakumi likes this.
  3. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

You're right, after all their custom shop do stuff like the shinigami

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1...0k1j0i24k1.0.KeJ8l3f5rIM#imgrc=CpHIoPh7Blo9EM:

The one thing is that I know their US/EU artists tend to stick to their common shapes and make slight alterations to them.
    It's on the Japan artists that you can find more bizarre and unconventional shapes

4. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I noticed that Steffen was using a ESP guitar in his other band, Thulcandra so I'm assuming that the company rubbed off on him more. Also, it seems that Steffen got rid of his Ran guitars immediately.

[​IMG]

I'm just joking!!! I don't know the story behind that picture. I'm sure it's just a fan who had the honor of playing Steffen's guitar backstage or something. ;)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  5. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

No, I don't forget anything. No matter what machine ESP designs, that face-melting RAN was an emblem of Obscura itself already, but the Polish brand can't compete with ESP in terms of dough!

Razerjack and takotakumi like this.
  6. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Hey guys, I thought some of you may like this Youtube video of Rafael Trujillo playing the song, Akroasis on his new Kiesel guitar. This video is a month old but I just found out about it yesterday. Kinda wish Rafael would have played another song off of the Akroasis album because they already have a video for the song. Nonetheless, the new video is cool.

7. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

My, how the hell can he downpick the whole main riff? Insane

feraledge likes this.
  8. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Crazy isn't it.

The part that now makes it easier for me (when I practice the song again, which I will) is the beginning part (0:02-0:10) where he holds the chords down and picks each note. I thought he was picking each note individually without holding the other strings down.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  9. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Dude is an incredible player to be able to step into a band and learn Christians and Fountainheads parts.

His big advantage is he has ideal guitar fingers, his pinkie doesn't curl up when playing, it stays on the fretboard when its not being used. Using very small and limited movements it makes it much easier on his fretting hand.

Winspear and takotakumi like this.
  10. JouniK86

JouniK86 Autistic philosopher

In a genre so filled with ridiculously talented guitar players, Rafael Trujillo still kind of manages to stand out. The insane cleanliness of his playing is even more amazing when considering that these solos are not even his compositions, but someone else's with a whole different background, ability and approach to guitar than his. I can't help but admire his devotion to guitar playing and rehearsing; that he can pull off those things with such an incredibly sterile fluidity is beyond me.

cwhitey2 likes this.
  11. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Huge musician, right, overtalented to fill the shoes he has to, at least on the technical side. We'll see about the compositive one. I wish Fountainhead had lasted longer, though I love all obscura albums and especially the ridiculous genius of Omnivium, which I consider their peak, I think the most interesting solos in Obscura are brought by Fountainhead in Akroasis.

takotakumi likes this.
  12. takotakumi

Tom's solos were refreshing as hell-and to me-the highlight of that album.
    I would almost agree with you if it wasn't cause I'm biased in that I've been listening to Chris's solos for a longer time and has been a driving force for me to get better at leads haha

chopeth likes this.
  13. Rollandbeast

Rollandbeast SS.org Regular

I can downpick that riff but can't alternate pick it lol , it's actually one of my fav riff to practice downpicking , really good for warming up

14. takotakumi

New Obscura :eek:

Chewy5150 likes this.
  15. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

I know we're not supposed to play favorites, but I gotta say I dig this more than most of the new Alkaloid I've heard lately. Fantastic guitar work from....Rafael Trujillo, I believe it is?

16. takotakumi

hooooooooow haha
    Well the "styles" are completely different though, and from what I heard there might not be a "alter magnitudes" or fast techy song on this upcoming alkaloid album.

Yes, it's Rafael.

mikah912 likes this.
  17. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Takotakumi, did you hear anything about them releasing a guitar tablature book for the new album?

18. takotakumi

I have not...but they've done it for the past 3 albums, so they will most likely do it again.

19. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I really hope so. I was kinda discouraged that I didn't see one on the Relapse site and I also checked their Realmofobscura site and didn't see anything there.

20. Tech Wrath

Tech Wrath SS.org Regular

This Obscura song is good but I find it to be stuff already heard previously and all over tech death. Obscura stay in the tech death realm and they've become very 1 dimensional. (Akroasis was actually kind of interesting with the turn they took with Fountainhead but that was shortly lived). I find Alkaloid to hold a lot more substance, still pushing boundaries, adding multiple flavors, mixing things up, making every song interesting and different, in contrast to the other bands stuck in the "tech death" sound. Tech death was originally supposed to push things technically, then it took a huge prog turn and realized technicality isn't everything and added a ton of prog elements. Now it has taken a halt and those previous 'prog' elements aren't so progressive anymore. A lot of these (tech death) bands haven't tried to create any new things. Alkaloid deliver something new and fresh that can really become something that can pioneer new ideas.