Nuked my facebook account (Long post)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by will_shred, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Handbanana

Handbanana SS.org Regular

Yeah screw FB! I'm good with instagram, twitter, reddit, etc... They wouldn't do the same. Right?

Sermo Lupi likes this.
  2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

1000x times this. My brain always does backflips when people refer to social media and things like that as "spying on them" when they're literally broadcasting themselves out there for all to see. It's a public place. It's someone else's computer. Don't do anything on there that you wouldn't do out in public in the real world.

How DARE companies have access to the vacation photos I explicitly uploaded to them! I understand the idea of personal/identifiable information in terms of purchase or sign in details or things like that, and yeah, it's a bit creepy how much google analyses where you are and what you're doing, but I just can't get bent out of shape at things like targeted ads. You're using someone else's systems for free and expect to give zero back in return?

Vaguely related: I think the whole "you're using the internet wrong if you don't use a vpn" wave lately is pretty ridiculous. 90% of people don't need a vpn, let alone know what one is.

3. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

We gotta be like that stupid iPad commercial...

“What’s a Facebook?”

Realistically I haven’t had a Facebook for five years, the only social media I use is Instagram. I miss being in middle school and thinking MySpace was the tits, with my top friends and music. I didn’t have just one song, nah, I had this super cool music player where I had 5 songs available to listen to :lol:

Or you’d click on someone’s MySpace and be bombarded with all sorts of crazy stuff, flashing backgrounds and shit.

Pc4pc?

4. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Sorry, but... :lol:

Maybe you need to go back and watch South Park. There is no escape.

5. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Imagine getting tech support calls asking what it is and how to set it up. It'd be like teaching my grandma how to use certain features on a new remote besides vol/channel up/down.

I never found MySpace remotely interesting, and resisted social media for the longest time, and still only have one social media account. I couldn't stand people's godawful MySpace pages that looked and loaded like Homer's webpage before he adopted the Mr. X persona.

Hollowway and QuantumCybin like this.
  6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I dunno if this is straying from the original topic a bit, but I find I'm really annoyed with instagram. Not because I use it, but specifically because I DON'T use it, but it keeps trying as hard as possible to wedge itself into my day. It sends me facebook notifications and emails and texts all the time, and I don't want to use it. I've never uploaded anything to it and I dunno how it got my cell number, but it's just the most intrusive service that I don't even use.

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I mean, this has been a running joke in this thread for a while now, so I assume you know this...

...but you DO know Facebook owns Instagram, right?

JoshuaVonFlash and QuantumCybin like this.
  8. QuantumCybin

LOL do they really? That is amazing. I legit had no idea :lol: I’m more of a pawn than anyone who uses both hahaha

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

:lol: Yeah, Facebook bought Instagram maybe a little more than a year ago. Maybe two, now. :lol:

QuantumCybin likes this.
  10. QuantumCybin

If my life was Pink Floyd’s Animals record, I’ve spent the last five years thinking I’m a dog when really I’m a sheep :lol:

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I mean, awesome record. :lol:

JSanta, zappatton2 and QuantumCybin like this.
  12. QuantumCybin

Really is one of my favorites by them, I think it’s underrated because it’s sandwiched between two of their most famous works. Don’t mean to derail the thread but the Floyd is always a worthy subject for derailment lol

zappatton2 likes this.
  13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Shit, after the old admin team split off from here and started MG, derailing threads became a specialty of ours. :lol:

I bought that one the day Richard Wright died. I'd been a fan of Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall for years, but hand't gotten around to picking up that one... and it's since become one of my favorites. Pigs on the Wing Pts 1 and 2, and the breakdown in Dogs ("And when you lose control...") are unbelievable tracks.

14. QuantumCybin

Oh yeah, definitely. I love the cowbell funk-esque riffage in Pigs as well. So fucking groovy lol

zappatton2 likes this.
  15. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I don't listen to Pink Floyd very often but on the rare occasion that I do, Animals is always my go-to album

zappatton2 and QuantumCybin like this.
  16. QuantumCybin

[​IMG]

zappatton2 and vilk like this.
  17. dreamchaser

dreamchaser SS.org Regular

If this is based on political crap, then it really depends on the crowd you keep. Best to just avoid all political posts as much as possible, and forums are almost as bad in terms of volume, and that's only because social media is where that stuff is concurrently circulated.

If you have a brand to promote, then use social media just for that. Don't add family or friends on there. It's very simple. People make too many dumb excuses, so as to not potentially "upset" anyone.

18. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

FYI, they also own WhatsApp

They claim no data sharing, but if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you ;)

19. wat

wat SS.org Regular

I didn't delete my account but I deleted the app today. The thing that made me do it was pretty random--it wasn't even negative or political. I just happened on a post from some guy I barely know that went "Finally got a decent haircut for once lol" with a picture. And I was like "why do I look at is mundane shit every day" and just decided to delete it then and there.

Anquished and The906 like this.
  20. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Pretty much the same exact thing happened to me. I just happened on a post from some guy I barely know that went "Finally got a decent job for once lol" with a picture. And I was like "why does Trump post this mundane shit every day" and just decided to delete it then and there.