NPD: Modded Boss MT2 Metal zone

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by KnightBrolaire, Jun 10, 2017.

1. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Likes Michael Bolton

I've got one and it is a great clone of the HM2. Now that I have the Throne Torcher though it'll collect dust with my Taiwan HM2 I'm sure. But for $30 new it's worth messing with. Also, the EQ doesn't have to be dimed to get the chainsaw tone. You can get much better tones IMO running it more conservatively.

mnemonic likes this.
  2. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

"It's a great, cheap alternative."
    "Well? What's the problem?"
    "IT'S PINK!"

:rofl:

3. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I actually want to try a stock one. I did Keeley mods to several Boss pedals 10-15 years ago (has it been that long???), and honestly, I kept feeling like I was liking the stock sounds better. Most of the pedal mods replace the caps with higher quality, so the sounds get clearer with more clarity. That sounds like a good thing, but I started feeling like they were losing their character. More clear and sterile instead of gritty and crunchy in their own imperfect way. Also, many times they up the cap values, so they get fatter, mushier, and not as clear and defined.

At one point I had 4 SD-1, all modded in different ways. I started to prefer the stock one after awhile, because it sounded imperfect.

4. Spaced Out Ace

Ah cool. I kinda wish someone would take some of my pedals off my hands in exchange for an MT-2 [possibly clipping C25 and C35, though I'd test it out first before doing that], and an HM-2. I know the MT-2 makes a decent preamp, and I'm kinda curious how the HM-2 would fair either as a preamp, or using the HM-2 as a boost pedal in front of the MT-2 used as a preamp.

5. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I plan on building a BYOC Swede eventually. Looks like a good clone.

I wish there was a cheap clone that was not plastic.... and pink, lol.

6. Spaced Out Ace

The Swede does look good, but having someone else build it for you costs almost as much as just buying a vintage HM-2.

7. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I can build the pedals easy, as far as electronics. It is the painting that is a PITA, lol. I have a box in my basement I have been trying to paint for a month for a Parametric EQ. Built the actual circuit board in an hour, still cant get the paint right after 6 weeks.

8. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

For high gain pedals, I plan on buying the Caline Red Devil sometime soon. It looks pretty interesting in videos.

9. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Yeah, haha, they could have at least made it not pink.

The Arion Metal Master is supposed to be similar again, but less close from the videos I've watched. It's black, at least. But still plastic.

I can solder no problem, so maybe I should try building one. Or building some other pedal that I can't find a cheap clone of.

10. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Got my computer working on Windows, and cubase still works, so I recorded some clips, why not.

https://soundcloud.com/theharshclimate/sets/some-clips

hopefully that link works.

1st clip is my recto patch unboosted as a baseline. Then boosted by the modded metalzone, settings in the picture (c25 and c35 clipped out is the only mod). Then just for fun, a clip boosted with my Bodenhamer bloody murder modded TS.

clips came out way more gained out than they sound through my poweramp and cab.

Also there is a clip of the modded metalzone run direct into an impulse (one of the stock ones in the Axe FX, the ML Recto Cab with the 57/121 if I recall correctly) for Spaced Out Ace.

too bad

11. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

With the BYOC Swede you can order it with a powder coated and screen printed box for $10 extra or something. This would make it like a million times easier. Like I said above, been trying to paint a few, and it is such a PITA compared to the soldering.

Honestly, I was gonna build several clones for the hell of it. Then I found Caline. They offer clones of several pedals for like $25. I couldn't build them that cheap. I would rather upgrade those with better caps and such than spend more building from scratch. Joyo has some nice ones also. I have only been looking at clones that have metal cases, and through-hole parts so far.

12. Spaced Out Ace

Very cool. Now if only I could find someone willing to trade me one, I'd be all set. :lol:

13. Spaced Out Ace

How similar is a Rocktron Metal Planet to a Metal Zone?