[Not] New Tosin Abasi signature [maybe] in the works - Abasi Guitars[Concepts] w/[out] Frank Falbo

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Randy

Randy ROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOU Super Moderator

To clarify 'liking' this, I'm not happy about your misfortune or their's but I'm glad you got your refund and that you're keeping us all updated. :yesway:

We've seen that happen a few times, actually. There was just recently a guy on Metalguitarist that had an order with Sims that has been dragging on and on and on for years, and he threatened civil action against Sims, and within a week the guitar neck showed up completely finished and in pristine shape.

That said, there's a lot of different scenarios where that could happen.

It might not be about running out of money to actually completely the build as far as resources go, but maybe not enough to pay labor or potentially even a falling out between the company and production facility (in this case, Tosin and Frank), or Frank has other commitments/issues preventing him from being able to put in the rest of the work on these no matter how far along they are. In any of those scenarios, it might make sense to hang onto the half built guitars with the expectation of either 1.) having them finished if/when another producer is found 2.) if the intent is to SELL the company or the IP, as much stock as possible would be worth more in value than Tosin would be getting in shipping half built guitars to people for the cost of the deposits 3.) if Tosin's intention is for Abasi Guitars to continue in full, you don't want guitars out there with your name on them that were half completed by people in their garage.

jemfloral, Kyle Jordan and Albake21 like this.
  2. jemfloral

jemfloral SS.org Regular

As Jeph said before there's more to the story, but its not my place to disclose. I think it's best we all wait and see what their next newsletter indicates.

3. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Can I at least ask if you got a time frame of when they will disclose everything?

4. Randy

Randy ROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOU Super Moderator

Not asking you to divulge anything you're not supposed to but if Tosin is using half-built guitars to construct a palace on a private island, blink twice.

5. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

Surrounded by The Abasea.

6. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Wind in my hair, Tosin the sand, waves of babies crashing against the shore. Sounds nice.

7. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

"La Isla Abasina..."

[​IMG]

setsuna7, Hollowway, lurè and 4 others like this.
  8. jemfloral

jemfloral SS.org Regular

@Randy blink blink

@Albake21 there wasn't any mention of timing of anything in our discussion, sorry mate, i was more concerned about the fate of my would-be guitar ;)

Randy and Albake21 like this.
  9. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel 55.0r6 R36ul@r

All unfounded rumors, my dudes. He's really up here with me in the Pacific Northwest, building a cabin out of defective Abasi Guitars necks in the Ka$hcade Mountains. :lol:

Hollowway and Randy like this.
  10. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

If you like Tosin Abasi, and getting caught in the rain
    If you're not into yoga, if you have half a brain
    If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape
    I'm the love that you've looked for, write to me, and escape

setsuna7, Hollowway, Randy and 3 others like this.
  11. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I still find this whole situation weird. "We have too many orders, let's stop production!"
    Realising you have to scale up is a thing, but why stop production meanwhile ?

12. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

From a PR standpoint, it's better to just stop and have people dissapointed that their order was cancelled, but then they'll get over it. But keep them waiting for waaaaaaaaaay longer that expected, especially if they've paid any money, and you've got potential to have a whole lot of pissed off people.

[needless, and only barely relevant anecdote #1]
    There's a new brunch place near my house that leaves half of their tables empty, even though there's a line of dozens of people out the door. It's better for them for people to just give up waiting for 10 minutes and walk away when the line doesn't move much, than it is to seat more people, who then are now waiting very long time for their food, in a more crowded and louder environment, and now that they've made it inside and ordered food, they feel more invested so they are less likely to simply leave, and now start complaining out loud about how long they've been waiting, complaining about slow service, chatting to other customers at the neighboring tables, etc. Of those two scenarios, which one is more likely to write a dissatisfied review on Yelp?[/needless, and only barely relevant anecdote #1]

[needless, and only barely relevant anecdote #2]
    I had a friend who wanted to start a laminate worksurface business out of his shed. Things were going well when he was getting only orders for 10-20 table or desk tops at time. He was building a reputation for being really affordable, quick, and easy to work with as they were a "small" shop. Because he only had a few of the "basic" tools needed, lots of things had to be done by hand, but since it was just him and not his primary job, he could afford to spend as much time as he needed to get things made to a high standard. At one point, within 2 days of each other, he took on two orders for 600+ desk tops. The supply chain got too hard to manage, the amount of money that needed to be spend in advance on procuring materials was very very high, suddenly having to hire more people who were not only untrained in general, but definitely didn't have the skills for the hand work needed to make up for the shortcomings of his power tools, and then even just the sheer amount of space required...in the end, he ended up botching those two large (for him...but still tiny for most established manufacturers) orders. Those two furniture dealers refused to ever work with him again because in the end, they waited too long for items that were still rushed and of not-great quality...and in the end, he simply couldn't afford to replace them himself, and the customer ended up having to replace almost all of the desk tops from another supplier.[/needless, and only barely relevant anecdote #2]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    setsuna7, Randy and The906 like this.
  13. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I guess it's hard for a builder to say "no" at the beginning when the orders are flowing in... especially if the deposits are less to cover the cost of parts & supplies and more the business' seed money.

14. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The think it's best at this point to wait and hear what's going on...if we ever really find out. I wouldn't hold my breath.

15. jemfloral

jemfloral SS.org Regular

For me, it's not just the disappointment of not getting the guitar I ordered (and which had been half-built); it's also the disappointment of having sold off my two Boden 8's with the IPNP neck profile in order to fund the deposit and make sure I had enough to cover the final balance payment. Those are two guitars that I'm not getting back...

kindsage and Matt08642 like this.
  16. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Yeah jemfloral you got way more boned than I did :/

jemfloral likes this.
  17. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I’m still not figuring out why SO many people seem to have gone whole hog in on an unproven new builder with no existing supply chain or clientele, to the point where the owners who clearly never did estimates on what volume their current set up could handle had to completely stop producing instruments.

Like (afaik) these were fully-priced non discounted instruments from a model of which only a handful of prototypes existed.

18. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Because they wanted a guitar that looked cool? I mean I only have a bachelor's degree but I asked my friend who's a rocket scientist and he says that's probably why

thesnowdog, Avedas, A-Branger and 3 others like this.
  19. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Damn man, I'm really sorry to hear that. That's pretty rough to hear. I hope you can get one back in the future.

To be fair, Frank actually has a reputation as a builder. Not only that, but Tosin is a huge name in the business right now. You would think he would be very trustworthy enough to put his name on something like this.

Matt08642, jemfloral and AxeHappy like this.
  20. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

The first guitars had to be bought by someone. Bummer that this flamed out.

jemfloral likes this.