[Not] New Tosin Abasi signature [maybe] in the works - Abasi Guitars[Concepts] w/[out] Frank Falbo

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

Seems as though they aimed high, hit well at first, and then were overwhelmed by manufacturing realities and perhaps demand.

Sad to see, but from the info here, it sounds like they're taking a good course of action before things spiral down.

I hope Abasi Guitars succeeds.

AxeHappy, Randy and lilstryer like this.
  2. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

As long as they're not calling it quits, I don't particularly mind. The guitars really are nice as fuck, and a production line might mean I could actually justify the cost at some point.

3. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

Can someone give me a TL;DR status update since I haven't been keeping up with this thread?

4. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

Will you promise to not make a separate thread asking for people’s thoughts on Abasi Guitars?

thesnowdog and DudeManBrother like this.
  5. will_shred

yeah, I'm playing with the idea of jumping back into ERG world with a classy headless single cut 8 string. Abasi guitars, Kiesel Zeus, Fast Guitars and Drinkwater, are my top picks.

6. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

Does anything other than bragging rights separate those brands to you? If so, one will show itself as a clear contender.

Now: Considering Tosin’s apparently disbursing refunds over the phone like a telethon operator, you may wish to imagine yourself wearing one of the other three.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    budda likes this.
  7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Do you know what you want?

None of those have even remotely the same price, lead time, overall aesthetic, etc.

AxeHappy likes this.
  8. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

We already know every part of the guitar will be crowdsourced.

9. Randy

Randy ROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOU Super Moderator

Alright, well, to ACTUALLY answer your question... there was ~3-4 months of silence from Abasi Guitars on social media and that was also paralleled with a lack of communication to people who had pre-orders, so there was some concern regarding what's happening behind the scenes. @jephjacques , who has an order with Abasi, emailed them and it took a while before they got back to him but ultimately they did, and it culminated in a phone call with Tosin. Jeph said he wouldn't divulge the details of the phone call but the two takeaways were that 1.) he was given a refund of his deposit 2.) Tosin said an official announcement is impending 3.) Jeph says he got no impression Abasi guitars is shutting down.

Also, Tosin gave an interview within the last couple months saying that they're changing some thing on the production side, so he also seems to indicate there were some kind of issues but the intention still isn't to close down.

MY personal interpretation is that they're likely unable to meet the demand with their current configurations (whether it's manpower or facilities or both) and they're exploring options to do that, but it'll likely take time and they're offering current customers an opt-out incase they don't want to wait.

That said, if you decided you HAD to go Abasi Guitars, I'd personally wait until that official announcement and see what kind of arrangement you're getting yourself into.

Veldar, lilstryer, will_shred and 6 others like this.
  10. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

FYI I haven't gotten my refund *yet*. I was told to expect it in a few days after the call. Just clarifying what I was told.

11. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

That's pretty much my point of view about the situation.
    Also, they're probably figuring out if it's the case to move production in a factory and if they can keep aiming that high with the price.

Are they gonna do like a Strandberg's Boden model for a larger public and reserve some orders for custom instruments?

Who knows, hope the situation gets clear sono.

12. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

Please people read that twice and stick it into your minds until an official statement is released from Abasi Guitars themselves

I know this is the internet and there would always be taht one guy who skim trough and take a personal opinion as a official statement from a company and then spread the word around like wild fire :squint:

13. will_shred

Well Kiesel is the best turnaround time and price, but there are some things about the design I don't like (the bridge pickup angle is something I'm very picky about). The Fast Guitars falcon is fucking sweet, the price is pretty average from what I understand. Would drinkwater be more expensive than fast?

Its like, the market for headless single cut 8 strings is pretty small. I haven't ever commissioned a guitar before, but I've been on this forum long enough to have a decent idea of what to look for.

14. makecamera

makecamera SS.org Regular

Don't think Drinkwater is doing anything headless at the moment. Add the Padalka Saturn to your headless single-cut list too.

Edit: to stay on topic, given the tentative news from Abasi Guitars, it seems like it would be a long wait before you got a completed guitar from them (although I'd wait for the official announcement to be sure). So if you're looking for something relatively quickly, I'd be looking at other options. Get the Fast Falcon! I've been waiting on a review for that.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  15. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Not to derail but isnt drinkwater OEM by Fast so same quality??

16. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Also a quick follow up question, where are Fast guitars made?

17. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

British Columbia Canada. Not sure exact city though im sure the info is available somewhere

AxeHappy and Albake21 like this.
  18. makecamera

makecamera SS.org Regular

Vancouver

AxeHappy and Albake21 like this.
  19. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Oh wow, I figured they were imports. They are priced nicely for being made in Canada.

20. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

it's not like tooling up to do Ormsby or strandberg style asian production is that easy tho.

At least if you ordered one tosin calls you on the telephone. that's pretty legit.