[Not] New Tosin Abasi signature [maybe] in the works - Abasi Guitars[Concepts] w/[out] Frank Falbo

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Nov 7, 2015.

1. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

To a degree it comes with the territory of being on the forefront of new and different instruments.

That said, builders who operate thier business like a Kickstarter project are a hard pass.

2. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

I posted a long-ish post elsewhere but the synopsis is that you should have some kind of a relationship with whoever you do business with at that level, as you really need trust (and a good reason to trust).

Custom guitars and luthiery is a craft much like blacksmithing or farriership, but the temptation of the 21st century is to buy, sell and trade handmade, cut to fit goods the same as we buy new bedsheets or a cell phone case.

If you're selling guitars (or buying them) like pre-ordering a game console or something, there's an unrealistic expectation of delivery and now you're competing with good people can buy on impulse, be playing two days later and, frequently, return for a full refund another two days later. Every dollar more or day longer it takes versus that paradigm is one more notch of anxiety, one more chance the deal sours and it's a losing proposition.

It seems like there was somewhat of a renaissance of craftsmanship in this country over the last decade (see: craft brewing, 'etsy' economy) but we're still buying and selling guitars like they're being stamped out of a press.

These days I'm capable of setting up my own guitars but when I was younger, I used to pay to have it done. I went to a few places. Some guys took too long, some guys charged too much, some guys didn't do it the way I liked, and eventually I found a guy that was my ideal. And by 'ideal' I don't mean he was perfect, I mean that it was a balance of all of that enough that we established a trust. I didn't ask him unrealistic deadlines, he didn't ask unrealistic prices. BUT sometimes I had a show coming up so I'd ask to if I could get it rushed and sometimes the price would go up because it was more work/materials or hell, maybe he just forgot what he charged me last time. But there was a trust, it's not like we were best friends but we were fair and we both knew not to ask too much of the other.

If you're not willing to vet who you do business with, you're either going to be the buyer rolling the dice on the deposit for a guitar that never shows up or you're going to be the builder with the customer that spams the entire internet with close-ups every unfilled grain of wood on your guitar before even offering you a chance to make it right, then orders a full refund and sends the guitar back smelling like cat piss. Don't be either of these guys.

olsonuf, Durero, PariahMusic and 8 others like this.
  3. Djentlyman

Djentlyman SS.org Regular

Which group in particular was that comment made?

EDIT: nevermind, found it.

4. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

I wish the word bogan was a thing in America. :lol:

Randy and axxessdenied like this.
  5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

i mean it's basically just australian for hillbilly/trailer trash

6. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

Edit:
    Nope. Nevermind.

Aside:
    Glad to see people shitting on Perry finally. I wouldn't do business with that disingenuous shit rat again if I won the lottery and the guitar gave me blowjobs. Isn't he ViK levels of behind on runs now? Sure glad he managed to "somehow" find the money to do all those overpriced GTR runs.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  7. Veldar

Veldar Is Post-Thrash?

Did Franks brand death trend on socials for more or less than 12 - 18 hours? Asking for a friend.

8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Shame you deleted your post. I thought it was very well thought out and added to the conversation. :agreed:

I can't figure out if Perry genuinely has no idea how a) evictions work and b) how you can terminate partnerships in an LLC, or is being purposefully misleading.

That eviction notice (that's what it is, not anything else) was obtained in a court of law. After numerous condition were met, a judge decided that the evidence showed that an eviction could be served. Law enforcement helps facilitate this. This wasn't some nasty-gram typed up by a private party. Just because the eviction wasn't executed, doesn't mean it just went away, the landlord has discretion.

As for the business partnership, Frank's share in Abasi Guitars [Concepts, whatever], can be challenged legally. If a business partner acts in the interests of themselves over the interest of the business.

I know Australia is a strange land, but is this not how they handle things?

9. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

What are the Vik stories Perry mentioned ?

wannabguitarist and odibrom like this.
  10. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I think we already put more thought into analyzing the statement then perry spent spewing it.

11. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

He seems to be hinting at the concept of a story about Vik in which someone other than Vik comes off looking bad, which will surely trump the "being outclassed by Dave Mustaine" thing from the Arch Enemy photograph controversy thread.

Ordacleaphobia and thesnowdog like this.
  12. USMarine75

USMarine75 Contributor

And here I recommended Perry in another thread... I had no idea he had his own issues too.

13. SubzeroJake

SubzeroJake SS.org Regular

Pretty sure Vik is operating out of Frank's shop now. Maybe he has inside info?

14. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

Aye I just heard about that.

Purelojik likes this.
  15. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

Yeah but the added specifics of living in the desert, a pair of permanently affixed Oakley Oil Rigs, the faux extreme sports vibe and that accent complete the visual just so

Smoked Porter and Veldar like this.
  16. odibrom

odibrom .

Ok, I know it's off topic, but please link me to that story...

17. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

IMHO getting a custom from a small luither is a bit of finesse and patients. I found someone who is rock solid and trust worthy, but for the first few years I just sent him repair work and customization stuff. It was smaller stuff, so I wasn’t surprised when he charged only after work was done. I always paid immediately and usually gave a tip.

Sometimes the work wasn’t exactly what I had in mind but communication is a two way street, and really this stuff is an art: better to give some leeway to the craftsman so he has some fun with it too. The results and relationship will be better.

And when I finally did place a custom order, it was great, we both communicated well, and I’ve ordered another that’s looking great from the progress pics.

I had tried out other luthiers with mods and repair work, but they sometimes seemed a bit dodgy or didn’t want to bother with some of the things I wanted. So I just moved on.

18. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Wait so Franks helping out that homophobic piece of shit now?

PuriPuriPrisoner and StevenC like this.
  19. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

odibrom likes this.
  20. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

I think Perry doesn't have as much as a grasp on the situation as he thinks he does but wants to get in the middle of it to try and capitalize and get his name in the equation. Sucks cause I seriously love my Ormsby but stuff like this makes me jaded to looking at another one. Shame cause I was looking for an 8 string in the future.

Edit: BTW, this situation sucks but this thread is top tier internet for me at this point and I've been on forums since I was like 13-14 and I'm 26 now hahahaha