[Not] New Tosin Abasi signature [maybe] in the works - Abasi Guitars[Concepts] w/[out] Frank Falbo

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

Be very careful about that moving goalpost. This was the letter in question.

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 4.24.12 PM.jpg

Tosin says eviction, Perry says 'notice to evict', Perry and you then say 'letter of demand'. There's the letter right there, we've all gotten one of those? Not uncommon? Maybe I'm not big enough, I've been in business 15 years (not out of my house either) and I've never been evicted, err... given notice to evict, err... given notice of demand I mean.

2. Soya

Soya Poor person Contributor

It's interesting how they grasp at straws to try to unite against the great evil Tosin. Boasting about their insider information and names of past business associates. Does self inflated importance just naturally develop once you start selling your guitars?

3. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

There’s definitely more to the story here but the other side isn’t providing it. Is there’s nothing else left to do except go crazy.

I’m not taking a side but Tosin gave a list of 3 or 4 very concrete examples. Frank could provide counter evidence without ever saying anything about tosin’s character.

Hasn’t happened yet.

From my perspective...I run a 15 person startup. My cfo is able to give me invoices and accountings for every single dollar that comes or out of my business. That’s simple how to run a business 101.

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

So we all gonna pretend that Perry doesn't have a stake in this argument, disparaging a potential competitor?

Maybe he's just cranky that he can't shamelessly rip off Tosin's design like he did with Doug's. :lol:

Also, leveraging your fanbase for monetary gain is how people in Tosin's industry thrive. That's the whole point. Perry knows that.

5. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Fair point. I hadn't seen that it was a proper eviction notice like that. I took "letters of demand" to encompass everything to things that are less...er...legally-backed. Like CAD letters from people who don't have any actual right to demand anything like that. Or like my company's youtube channel for a copyrite strike from BMI on youtube. When the video has no music, and it's all original video, and it's not even monitized. It's an un-listed video. Or just a police report, which as mentioned, doesn't necessarily mean any wrong-going. Again, that was before learning that the eviction letter was what it was, that is.

arsonist, Hollowway and Randy like this.
  6. simonXsludge

simonXsludge (((Ω)))

Maybe I missed it, but is no one asking why Tosin did not get involved with QC when the product had his name on the headstock and was made somewhat local to him?

Everyone's quick to pick sides, but neither of them look very graceful to me, at least based on the info I've gathered.

Solodini, arsonist, Jem7RB and 3 others like this.
  7. MaxOfMetal

Was that his [Tosin's] job? I mean, that's certainly reasonable. I know I'd want to keep anything associated with my brand under scrutiny, but I'd assume that quality control was passed onto the professional builder, and not the artist/owner.

I agree, neither side is coming out great in this.

8. Dreamfullofzen

Dreamfullofzen SS.org Regular

Lol.. The everyone has been given a notice comment made me laugh so hard i farted a minor3rd up to a perfect 5th...

By "we" he must mean all questionable and dishonest business people.......

Ironically no one is picking sides.. All we are doing is not buying the bullshit character debate certain people are flaunting... I Dont know tosin personally.. And I couldn't care less if he is super business minded and shrewd.. I can name you a shit ton of players like that (vai, greg howe, wylde, satch, batten, etc.).

Tosin wanted to air a situation to clear up rumors and hear say... Then the other party just came along and cried wolf.. With zero evidence to back anything up.. And then a plethora of fake account(s) nonsense to stir up absolute nonsense.... Like a video of tosin which should have led to him being in jail if the situation was told as is.. But is of course a complete lie.. Which isn't surprising since it fits the profile of a sociopath when they are being outed for what they are...

olsonuf and Hollowway like this.
  9. simonXsludge

simonXsludge (((Ω)))

Yeah, that's my point. The way the brand was marketed by Tosin definitely gave me the impression that he would be very involved.

I play music likes this.
  10. Randy

That's fair enough, I get where you're coming from. Seeing the picture now, you can see how disingenuous Perry's characterization is right? Kinda undermines whatever kinda point he was trying to make that he needed to bend the truth so far to get there.

11. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

Very good point, but I have to agree with Max on this one. Especially since Frank had shares/'stock' in Abasi.

If I was Frank... none of those original guitars would have been sent to Japan/ made it through my QC/QA...I would be embarrassed (no i don't build guitars). Way to many flaws for the price. Heck, if I owned one of the shops that received those guitars I would be pissed.

12. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

After all this drama the main point I'm taking away from this is -

We could've all had TosinMachines by now if Perry had just given out a free guitar.

13. herbmystic

herbmystic SS.org Regular

To be fair it was members of this forum that initially approached him and asked him to build the blackmachine style models. He took the opportunity to leverage the Blackmachine hype for monetary gain. He even "shamelessly" named it the hypemachine.

Solodini and USMarine75 like this.
  14. MaxOfMetal

How does that saying go? Something about bricks and glass......

Solodini likes this.
  15. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Shameless is right. Dude's basically AliExpress with a rockstar ego.

And anyone that designed that hype machine headstock certainly has no business commenting on anyone else's design skills lol

16. Randy

Jeff Kiesel: Bogan Edition

17. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

I own a storefront as well and pay a substantial monthly rent (more than what the avg canadian earns a month) and I've never once received a letter to vacate let along get a FINAL NOTICE that the property will be handed over lol.
    Also, Perry commenting on the dealings of other guitar business is pretty hilarious considering his track record with delivering runs on time. lol
    Glad I never bought into the ormsby hype. Didn't dig them at namm anyways hehe

AxeHappy and wannabguitarist like this.
  18. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

The scary thing for me is that there seems to be no way of telling which luthiers are going to take your money and not deliver a guitar. Some definitely take on too many orders, and implode. But others don't, and disappear anyway. It just makes it a bit of a dice roll when trying to order a custom. And it gives a bad name to every single luthier out there. Being a luthier these days must be like trying to be an honest used car salesman. :lol:

19. Fretless

Fretless Knob Fiddler

Right? Like, I ordered my Quake from Skip, and I know he's pretty darn trustworthy so far, and has a good enough reputation for me to throw my money at him, but at the same time, it still makes me suuuuuuuuuper nervous. Until I get my Quake, I will have the small fear that I will never see my bass, and that it will become the next in the line of luthiers running away with money.

Hollowway likes this.
  20. MaxOfMetal

To a degree it comes with the territory of being on the forefront of new and different instruments.

That said, builders who operate thier business like a Kickstarter project are a hard pass.