Noise gating without involving the FX loop

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Cynicanal, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

So, I keep going back-and-forth as to whether I prefer my Twin Jet with or without using a TS-9 to boost it, and right now I'm in a "with" phase. The main downside to this is that, with an OD boost, it gets basically impossible to control feedback when not playing without either stomping the tuning pedal or turning the volume knob on my guitar to 0. I don't mind the standard "high-gain hiss", and I'm not trying to tighten any start-stop playing. Since I mostly play a lot of doomy death metal (think Incantation, Ceremonium, etc.), I really need a gate solution that won't interfere with sustain and decay of notes and chords.

What makes this trickier is that the Twin Jet has a rather crap FX loop which I'd rather not use (and I never use any effects anyways, my chain is always guitar -> tuning pedal -> sometimes OD pedal -> amp -> cab), so most of the usual noise gate candidates (G-String, NS-2, etc) are right out. What options are left that will fit the bill here? I've heard that the ISP Decimator and MXR Smart Gate don't do as well at holding sustained notes as the loop-based gates, and I've also heard the Decimator doesn't work well in a high-gain context.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I think the first thing you should do is hunt down the causes of noise in your rig. Little things like better cabling, shielding electronics and cutting certain frequencies can go a very long way. Also play around with your position relative to your rig.

Jacksonluvr636 and Alex79 like this.
  3. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Try to eliminate as much noise as you can.
    I run the NS-2 only in front of my amp, and only straight in - straight out. To be honest, I don't even turn it on anymore these days, as my rig is silent enough (ENGL Ironball, properly shielded guitar, high quality cables). I don't use boost pedals a lot though.

4. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Usually you put a gate in front of the amp to kill feedback and in the loop to kill preamp hiss. It surprises me that a handmade amp like the bogner even creates any sort of hiss.

However, can you confirm that it's not cheap/badly waxed pickups causing the feedback? Any other guitars available to try?

5. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have almost always used a gate before the amp. They are much more natural that way, and will cut most of the noise. I would try it before and after your OD pedal to see which way works best for you.

However, I also agree to check your pickups, cables, quality of OD pedal, the amount of gain you are running, etc.... because you want to eliminate as much as possible before using the gate.

6. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

G-String and NS-2 can both be used in front of the amp with lower settings. A gate set low enough to have zero effect on sustain probably won't help with feedback much anyways, though. You could always use something like the NS-2 with the OD pedal in the "X" pattern so you're lightly gating before AND after the OD, though.

7. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Yeah, trying all of my other guitars, they all feedback constantly when not being played (and, yes, I'm muting the strings, with both hands). A combination of TS-9 + amp strikes me as the most likely culprit so far; same cables with just my tuning pedal into the Bogner doesn't cause the feedback, but neither does TS-9 into Ironheart.

8. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Any standard gate like a Decimator, Smart Gate, or NS-2 will do the trick in front of the amp. My preference is the Decimator II, though the NS-2 has the added ability to run the overdrive in its loop so you gate before and after the TS-9. Otherwise just experiment with which position you like better as far as putting the gate before or after the overdrive