No-one plays guitar anymore?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Vyn, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

I'm probably going to get shot down in flames for this, but I've never listened to EVH, Zappa or Page (knowingly there's probably been some pop hit on the radio that I've heard that I don't actually know of). and it's only really talking to older guitarists that you hear mention of them. It's only in the last year I've even gotten into a bit of shred with Gilbert and Malmsteen. If you ask me about solo guitar heroes and influences, stuff that I've actually tried learning, I'd say Loomis, Merrow and Broderick.

All that in mind though, when I say "Nobody plays guitar anymore". I'm thinking of everything - classical, blues, jazz, metal, 100-adjective-edm, whatever. It just seems like there isn't the desire to learn the instrument anymore and I don't know if that's a result of teaching styles not being up-to-date with modern music and people getting bored/frustrated or there's just not as much interest anymore.

Winspear likes this.
  2. Durtal

Durtal SS.org Regular

Zappa is a little obscure these days but I'm pretty shocked about the other two. I'm in my 20s and plenty of people my age, including non-musicians are fans of Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin. There are definitely more young people listening to Zeppelin than Merrow and Broderick. The only people who care about those people are other guitarists (that like metal). EVH is more of a guitarist thing with younger people but even then he's still very well known due to his gear brand and is apparently still popular enough to appear on the front cover of guitar magazines.

3. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

Sure, but Loomis, Merrow and Broderick are direct descendants of Malmsteen and Gilbert who came from EVH and Blackmore and so on and so on. They all follow a single lineage, progressively hot-rodding blues and some classical concepts, playing faster and faster and using more and more gain with each decade. There are other branches of guitar tradition though, like for example people like Nels Cline, the Edge, Nick Reinhart, Johnny Marr, Jónsi Birgisson etc., who have very little in common with the other crowd but whose influence on music has been just as huge, and more prevalent in current mainstream/alternative music. Riffs and solos are less popular, but guitar as a textural and mood-setting instrument is used all over the place. Hence the pedal boom of the last few years, there's an entire world surrounding that.

bhakan and Vyn like this.
  4. Vyn

Yeah, I'm 25 and I haven't listened to them, it does make things awkward sometimes. People (Guitarists) either just stare or get majorly offended and call you out for not being a real guitarist. The only reason I'm aware of EVH is the amps really.

Never thought of it like that, cheers for the input! Agreed on the pedal boom, that's gone from 0-100km/h in no time at all.

Winspear and JohnIce like this.
  5. Durtal

Durtal SS.org Regular

Why not just listen to them to see what the fuss is about then? Led Zeppelin did some amazing albums.

Dineley and Vyn like this.
  6. Vyn

I'm typing this as I listen:

Cool riff. Musically a ton of groove. Or drugs. Probably both. But it works.

Vocals, definitely not keen on them.

Some weird and interesting leads. Definitely drugs.

Damn that riff is bloody catchy. Loving the bass tone for some reason. It's filthy.

...end of massive instrumental session. Almost... Jazzy? But with pentatonics? I'm confused as shit, what just happened.

THAT RIFF AGAIN. That's catchy as fuck.

Okay, That was pretty cool. Musically, it was entertaining and fun. Didn't really like the guitar tone but can appreciate it. Can see where a lot of bands get their influences from now, there's stuff in there that stands out bigtime.

Durtal likes this.
  7. JohnIce

Yeah, I've been listening to rock and metal for most of my life, and I often forget that guitar bands like Radiohead and U2 are actually way more popular than even the biggest metal bands. Same can be said about the brit pop boom of Oasis and their like, bands like the Strokes and Arctic Monkeys, currently we have huge bands like The 1975, Imagine Dragons, Alt-J, Arcade Fire etc. the list is far too long, all of whom feature tons of guitar just not blues/jazz/cover of guitar magazines type guitar.

Vyn likes this.
  8. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

That's pretty sad. My high school jazz band teacher was an orchestral conductor and percussionist. My jazz combo instructor was prominent local session bassist. Not to mention both of them had a wide network and brought in a ton of local pros to sit in with us. Those guys could all rip. There weren't really any guitarists around but I think trying to learn technical guitar skills in a setting like that is completely missing the point, when you could easily be picking up knowledge about theory, composition, improvisation, and properly playing within a group context.

Durtal likes this.
  9. goobon

goobon SS.org Regular

That's really the only reason I joined. My knowledge of theory grew because I had to teach myself to read music and keep up with a large band, instead of just the usual church stuff I was doing with a couple other folks. Definitely got better at improvising because I got to do some solos and figured out my scales a lot more. Plus, playing a 6 string bass really opened up a lot of doors for learning. It was a good learning experience, but it just wasn't near as fun as I wanted it to be. I wanted to play more fast-paced, fun, funkier afro-jazz, but the trawl through the pool of boring, uninspiring (in my opinion, at least) white man music just kinda killed it for me, lmao. Wish I got to experience some gods ripping the bass, but it was all me. I go to a massive, fairly wealthy 6A high school so there's really no excuse for our jazz program to suck as hard as it does other than just lack of interest. At least I made some other music nerd friends and grew as a musician.

10. NotDonVito

NotDonVito SS.org Regular

Don't really have anything to add, but I agree with what johnice was saying. Electric guitar is a more complementary instrument now. You don't need to write songs around riffs.

I really like the new Paramore album. All of the musicians give each other tonal space in this song. The guitarist, bassist, and vocalist all sound like they're playing in their own separate pockets, while the drummer just ties it them together. It comes to together in theory to make something great. I know that sounds stupid, that's the basis for any good rock song, but I feel like this is a clear example.

11. InHiding

InHiding SS.org Regular

I think that song is a bit weak though and that tonal space is there and useless... so opinions... Have you ever listened to Lissie?

Durtal likes this.
  12. NotDonVito

NotDonVito SS.org Regular

You're kind of missing the point.

That is a popular song with guitars in 2018, and that's going to get people to start playing that kind of music. I think it's an easy song to listen to for 90% of people because it's "weak". There's not any more of what it doesn't need, so you can put this on at a party in the back and people will LIKE IT.

Idk who Lissie is, and so that means your average high schooler probably doesn't either. Lissie might have more interesting songs, but if it's not catchy and easy to listen too, or doesn't have the right marketing behind it, no ones going to care, and they'll just go back to hitting the blunt to a Travis Scott song.

couverdure and goobon like this.
  13. InHiding

InHiding SS.org Regular

Yeah most of my posts are just random fire anyways :)

14. Durtal

Durtal SS.org Regular

I posted up a deeper cut that is a personal favourite, but the obvious classics are also amazing:

If you want to check out the band properly I'd recommend starting with either the 2nd or 4th albums, but the first 7 are all worth listening to.

Van Halen have always been more of a songs band than an album band to me but the riffage is immense on these tracks:

Dineley likes this.
  15. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

Zeppelin III and Physical Graffiti are my favorites

16. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

Led Zep 4 is by far their most "gateway" album, and for good reason - it's by far the most consistent and most developed their sound ever was. Every other album either was somewhat inconsistent or it was full of experiments that don't necessarily appeal to everyone the same way.

If there is an album to define "Here, this is Led Zeppelin" to anyone, 4 is it.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c5/Zoso.svg

Durtal and QuantumCybin like this.
  17. Supernaut

Supernaut SS.org Regular

My favourite zep moment:

18. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

I think there was kind of a mini-revival of "lead guitar player hero worship" in the early-mid 00s, when I started. However, I think that has faded by now, and it obviously wasn't as big as the 80s. I think there's something cyclical about it, but also it's slowly decreasing. I think we're going to see metal and guitar hero stuff go the way of Jazz. There will always be people into, always be people serious about it, but it won't be the situation where 20 kids at your high school are meeting up to jam and form bands.

I think that's just the way of all things. The good news is that art form will continue, but not with the same popularity as we've been accustomed to.

19. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

I said it in the other similar "Why do all guitarists sound the same today?" thread, but most people picking up guitar are going in an indie/shoegaze/pop/dreampop/math rock path as that's the main guitar based music that youth listen to.

There's a HUGE indie/pop/math scene that's blown up on YouTube/soundcloud/bandcamp over the past few years and they're all sub-25. Sleepy Dog, Yvette Young, boy pablo, Rex Orange County, Cuco, Gus Dapperton, etc seriously interesting and fun to listen to stuff

In the 90s/early 2000s, kids picked up guitar to be the next Hetfield or Cobain. In the late 00s/early 10s, people were picking up guitar to join the metalcore/scene wave. Middle 10s was the height of djent/prog metal, but now that it has passed indie/pop/math rock is taking over.

couverdure and JohnIce like this.
  20. JohnIce

Spot on, and I will add that jazzy singer/songwriters are really big right now too. Where there was Wonderwall style campfire guitar, chopsy jazz comping is the new thing it seems. This kinda stuff: