No-one plays guitar anymore?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Vyn, Feb 12, 2018.

1. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoils = tr00

My reality? :lol: I'm just saying those songs are based around guitars and showcase how they're being used in current songs that have billions of streams. Meaning, people still play guitars, that's what the thread was asking. I'm not saying YOU have to listen to the Chainsmokers :lol:

2. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

I remember this, I also remember FCPREMIX and being blown away by the intro because I didnt know what a delay was. I happened to start playing before that because my dad is a guitar player, but I know several people who got their start from guitar hero

Buthter likes this.
  3. Ebony

Ebony Drums

Alot of people play guitar but very few get paid to do it. School programs are largely shaped by coorporate greed with a sprinkle of trampled idealism. The offer within the education sector will always reflect that. Why educate people for a job that doesn't exist?

Honestly, I'm surprised there is any kind of music left in primary schools. Because it's "stimulating and nourishing to kids"?. Oh please, give me a fucking break. Listening to some idiot quoting wikipedia about The Beatles/Bach and playing sloppy, out-of-tune Top 20 at half tempo on instruments that are falling apart with the odd performance in front of sobbing parents is hardly stimulating.

And high school music-programs? Well, I have two guitarist friends that began their highschool days in music-programs. They both hated it, but especially the one with talent (he quit and went to a regular program). He outplayed all his teachers, he had 90 minutes of guitar-lessons a week even though it was his main instrument, and he also had to attend compulsory courses in dancing and acting because they crammed all the "artistic" classes into one (and still do as far as I know).

I'm not saying this is the experience of everyone, but my personal view on this is pitch black. I haven't had a single positive experience with music at school, nor has any of my friends.

JohnIce and Andrew Lloyd Webber like this.
  4. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer Contributor

Both my junior and middle schools had really extensive arts and music programs, and it was such an amazing resource.

Mostly everyone in this thread is just bringing up anecdotal accounts of how popular guitar is. This is going nowhere lol

NAACP Man likes this.
  5. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

This is more what I'm getting at - basically what happened to the music programs in schools?

I can understand that a lot of people would have bad memories of music at highschool - I can think of a few local players who are phenomenal and hated highschool music, I can also think of an equal number that enjoyed it.

In our case, classical finger-picking was taught primarily with the students allowed to venture out into other styles if they wished and would be supported doing so. My final was primarily classical but I also played Master of Puppets and Souls of Black for two of my assessment pieces. Having a part set curriculum and then having some freedom to move around I think was what made that particular school such a success at the time. Now there isn't really any structure, the students finish highschool, get to university level and proceed to get smashed, jaded and give up their instrument entirely.

6. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

I was 14 when Guitar Hero 2 came out and that certainly piqued my interest in guitar and ultimately ended up in me asking my parents to get me one for my 15th birthday, I turn 25 next month and I’m still playing so I think it did have an impact on people.

Albake21 likes this.
  7. Curt

Curt Where we're going we don't need neck pickups

You *are* living in it, though.

JohnIce and Andrew Lloyd Webber like this.
  8. MickD7

MickD7 SS.org Regular

This is a discussion I’ve had a lot. It’s an interesting topic to say the least, I have 36-46 students a week depending on the programs that I work with. I started playing when I was 9 learning from Vinyl and Cassette tapes, I entered a music program at the age of 13 and started getting a formal education in Music and I was teaching at the age of 15, I’m 28 this year and I started working towards things by teaching the students I played with in ensemble classes because the head of music was horrible. I also worked in music stores for 12 years and I’ve worked with every type of guitar player that you can imagine.

3 of these are held at Music schools. Those are the ones that I have seen the potential in, I take the time to explain the importance of what the student is learning to the parent but also take the time to make sure that they encourage the students in a positive approach. Not viewing practice as a part of their homework routine and seeing it as a reward for doing math/English ect. Is a big step in the right direction for what I see come out of students that will move forward, they still learn theory they still learn practical performance and they learn a lot about technique as well. I have one kid that is all about learning the ins and outs of the instrument, it’s theory back ground and as many techniques from genres as possible he’s got what it takes to keep moving a head.

I also see the worst of it in music programs that don’t care about anything but churning through students and making a buck. Those are the ones that don’t have the right approach and stepping out of their “programs” is a big no no. They provide you with low level instruments that have done the rounds so many times they barely work anymore.

Everything else is private lessons. Those ones are the ones that have been in those bad programs and wanted to move past them. And the improvement they have once leaving these programs is awesome.

9. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

You guys know arts programs are the first to get cut, yeah?

10. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I was in 5 different music programs back in high school. And there were plenty of other programs for fine arts, theater etc. It seemed like they were more willing to cut sports programs than arts programs, but it was a Canadian high school so nobody gave a shit about high school sports I guess.

11. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

I'm thankful that I still have friends who are in to up-and-coming artists, so I still have that stream of exposure most people in their 40's might not have (I suppose there's the internet and all). I don't even mind if guitars becomes a niche thing, as long as some bands are still doing something creative with it. Though I do admit to feeling like this strange old man on occasion;

Demiurge likes this.
  12. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

If you want data instead of anecdotes:

[​IMG]

Razerjack, Vyn and zappatton2 like this.
  13. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

Jesus, it's brutal as fuck when you put it like that. Wow. Interesting to see the small rise in singing at the end but fuck.

14. JohnIce

On the subject of education, to paraphrase Yuval Noah Harari, we're for the first time in history in a situation where having creative engineers and business ideas makes more economic sense than invading another country to steal their natural resources. Having a Google or Samsung is worth more than gold mines and oil. My home country of Sweden is a good example of a small country with a good economy built on clever business ideas rather than valuable materials. And, unsurprisingly, the swedish government has always invested huge money in art studies, and made it free for everyone.

What this means to me, is that creativity is worth quite a lot for a modern economy. When done right, music and other art programs are meant to develop kids' creativity, teach them to innovate and think outside boxes, not just prepare them for a "job" in music or art. Plenty of people throughout history has gone to art school or played musical instruments at a high level and made successful careers in engineering or software or politics instead. If you choose to look at art classes as JUST creating starving artists then you're kind of missing an important point.

couverdure, zappatton2 and Vyn like this.
  15. sawtoothscream

sawtoothscream SS.org Regular

Lots of players here still, several guys I know just picked up playing a couple years back and some picked up drums.

The HS did a music night thing every year far the students to bring there bands in or play whatever they want. Was pretty cool. Our drummer was a senior at the time so we played it the one year and had alot of fun.

16. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

I attend some jam sessions weekly here in Germany and they are just full of mid-age/old people(35+)
    It is normal when young people are living the era of the I want it right-now and overly surrounded by people, where they have to be all the time connected and reachable or they will be ignored by their friends because of missing any stupid event/moment.
    Playing an instrument requires time, dedication and sometimes being alone at home practicing or taking lessons.
    In any case, it shouldn't be a problem if guitar is no longer the default choice, just like any other instrument during the history of music, another one will take its place.

zappatton2 likes this.
  17. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

This thread almost reeks of "le wrong generation".

A lot of the guitar-based music I listen to are listened by a lot of younger people, mostly within my age range or, god forbid me saying this word, "millennials", so I never really thought of guitar being an old man's instrument. It seems that only guitar players are trying to make themselves believe that, so I guess that's our loss (I know that there was that article about the guitar industry dying, but who takes the mainstream media too seriously?).

I think these words from Sithu Aye would be appropriate for a thread topic like this, because most guitarists act too conservative when it comes to guitar playing, which makes us get stuck in the past.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Durtal likes this.
  18. goobon

goobon SS.org Regular

As a current student, I think a big issue with music education is the lack of interest in certain genres. In the modern American high school, the only band one could join to learn a guitar/bass in would be Jazz band, which isn’t even common in most American schools. I mean let’s face it- NO teenager likes jazz, classical, or big band in the year 2018, and the ones that do are the band director’s kids.

After playing guitar and bass for about 5 years I figured I’d sign up for jazz band, and after a year of it I decided I couldn’t f***ing stand it. I’m a metalhead, and I never wanted to play jazz to begin with, and as conceited as this sounds, I was far better than the people trying to teach me. Quit jazz to the dismay of the band directors.

If schools offered a rock band class or a music production class instead of a traditional art credit we’d see a lot more interest in kids picking up an instrument. There are still tons of kids that love rock music, and now more than anything kids love various forms of hip hop. The dream still lives on, trust me.

couverdure and Masoo2 like this.
  19. JohnIce

Good point. I think a lot of the crowd who believe the guitar is fading away from popular culture, only have a very specific kind of guitar playing in mind when they say that, the "lead guitar hero" kind. Shred, blues licks and mountain top bends are, whether you like it or not, a retro aesthetic. Solos on ANY instrument are pretty rare these days, people are just kinda done with them. But just like the DX7 electric piano sound is 100% a retro thing to everyone who hears it, FM synthesis itself is all over modern dubstep and EDM. Similarly, the guitar is still used in innovative ways by people who resist the urge to shoehorn tired EVH licks in there.

20. Durtal

Durtal SS.org Regular

Nah, nobody I know listens to that kind of stuff. The only ones who don't like guitar based music listen to Industrial or EDM.