NJD - New Jackson Day

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Spicypickles, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

So I have been pretty GASsy over USA Jacksons for a while, and then some dude posted a photo somewhere of his family of all black jacksons and knew I had to get one. I’m an avid peruser of reverb and craigslist, usually just looking for older ESP’s and PRS CU24’s, and started searching for US Jackson’s.

While I think I would have preferred an SL2H, I decided to go after an SL1 for the tonal variety, and because I’ve been getting along with my strat tone so much recently. This one eventually showed up for pretty cheap (some headstock damage, more on that later), so I threw it on the watch list.
    Come last Friday, guy knocked it down a couple hundred more dollhairs, so I decided screw it, I gotta do it. The next closest one in price was $800 more, so I definitely made out well on this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, it’s in decent shape, especially for a 21 year old guitar. Some bumps and bruises here and there, but nothing hindering play or anything structural.

Here are the below issues though:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the “J” is a different color, and there is some damage just below the “A”. It looks like it fell over at some point, took some damage but was repaired. If you run your fingers over it, you can’t feel anything so the repair wasn’t too bad and the J was replaced with MOP as well, but I do wish they would have sourced a similar color piece.

There is also a small spot where an inlay is almost caving in or something, in the corner.
    [​IMG]

Other than the paint and some small cosmetic things, it’s in pretty damn good shape. The knife edges on the Floyd are near untouched, and the frets show very little wear as well. There is some discoloration on the Floyd, but no corrosion.

This is easily one of the smoothest playing guitars I’ve ever picked up in my life, though. I’ve only played it plugged in a couple times, but I REALLY dig the single coils. JB’s aren’t my favorite, but it does sound really good in this guitar, so swapping it out is pretty unlikely.

All that said and done, I do think I need to get some help with it. The strings are nearly sitting on the first few frets, and it has a bit of buzz on those frets as well. What I believe happened, is when they did the repair to the headstock that the locking nut may have been shimmer and they didn’t replace it. I’m thinking I just need to raise that up a bit and this thing will be golden in that regard.

I do have a weird sound issue though. In my prior experience, all single coils are a bit noisy, even with strings muted. On this guitar, however, the positions with singles are near dead quiet, but the one with the JB is pretty noisy. Is it as simple as it being an old pickup and just needs some wax potting?

Either way, enjoy the crappy pictures and throw me some input on the above issues mentioned if you care to.

2. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Cool guitar. I love those old Jacksons and if it plays well then cool! Try shimming that nut slightly, If you fret the guitar at say the 3rd fret and they are touching the 2 lower frets a shim should sort that buzz out. Very cool guitar and the little defects just give it extra mojo.

Spicypickles likes this.
  3. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

Great looking guitar...it looks like a Jackson Soloist. I love Jackson guitars since I own a black Jackson King V and the compound radius fret board is so easy to play on. Hope your enjoy your newly acquired axe.:)

;>)/

Spicypickles likes this.
  4. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Old player's grade Jacksons are awesome. Especially in black, where it shows all of its battle marks. Jeff Hanneman would approve!

Spicypickles likes this.
  5. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

Great pick-up!

Check the neck relief before you shim the locking nut. Could be as simple a fix as adjusting the truss rod.

khm, Spicypickles and xzacx like this.
  6. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 SS.org Regular

Nice guitar. How do you plan on fixing the headstock and inlay? that is if you plan to

Spicypickles likes this.
  7. Angel0fshreD

Angel0fshreD shredaholic

Very nice guitar for 21 years!
    Happy NGD!

Spicypickles likes this.
  8. Spicypickles

I appreciate the words, but it’s definitely not a truss thing. I’ll try to get some better pictures later.

9. Spicypickles

I don’t, it’s got battle wounds that are worth showing off. Obviously i’d rather it were perfect, but it’s an older guitar so I’m not too worried about it other than it play well.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  10. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

I have a SL1 from around the same time and have a lot of love for that guitar! The Seymour Duncan single coils have built-in hum canceling to make them very quiet. Look up "classic stack" for more info. Congrats!

Zoobiedood and Spicypickles like this.
  11. Spicypickles

Yes the singles sound great, it’s just off that the bucker is so damned loud. I even backed it off the strings a bit, and it’s still pretty noisy.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  12. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 SS.org Regular

Maybe get a lower output humbucker?

13. Spicypickles

It’s not the fact that it’s a JB, in fact I have three others loaded in guitars here at home. This one in particular is just noisy. I’ll have to open it up and take a look.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  14. Spicypickles

And I was right, it’s microphonic. I have an aftermath lying around, but I feel like that would sounds way too bright in a poplar/maple guitar tuned to standard.

Now I have to peruse reverb for pups. Damn.

15. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

If your pick up is micro-phonic then it just probably needs a real good wax dipping. That would definitely solve your noise problems in the pick up. It's good to keep the guitar as original as much as you can.

;>)/

Spicypickles likes this.
  16. Spicypickles

I usually don’t sell my guitars, so I have no qualms changing it up, especially considering how beat this one is anyways.

I’ll be sending this to a tech to get the nut shimmed and get it a first time setup, so i’ll ask if they’re willing to do that also. If not, no biggie, I have other JB equipped guitars anyways so it would be cool to branch out.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  17. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred 80s Shred Riffs

Congrats and HNGD! Nice shred machine

Spicypickles likes this.
  18. Spicypickles

I think I’m leaning towards throwing in a different bridge pup.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a pup that would go well with the classic stacks in the other positions? Looking for something a little more versatile, not too bright.