NHL 2017 - 2018

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by technomancer, Jul 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

My voice is gone and I may have cried a few times tonight. I couldn't believe it. It really looked like we weren't gonna win tonight. And between DSP scoring on his back, and then Eller finding an empty net after a 5 hole shot made it slightly through Flower, it just kinda felt like the Caps willed their win tonight. DC fans aren't used to this. Still can't believe this is real. Seeing Ovi with the Cup just looks so goddamn right.

technomancer and JD27 like this.
  2. protest

protest SS.org Regular

It wasn't the Penguins, Rangers, or Devils, so I'm ok with it.

AdamMaz likes this.
  3. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

They just wouldn’t be denied. Of all the great teams they had, I would never have guessed this was going to be the one. But after that Game 3 OT goal against the Blue Jackets it just seemed like a different team. The battled back in every series after being down. I wouldn’t trade seeing them blow out teams for that, it just made it all the more special to see after so long.

AxeHappy and technomancer like this.
  4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Congratulations to the Capitols and to their fans who hung in there all this time!

scrub, AxeHappy and technomancer like this.
  5. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

:rofl:

6. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

I mean dude if you had asked me at the beginning of the season I would have told you I'd be surprised if this team even made the playoffs. Then around December or so, things really started to turn, it looked like the team was gelling, but it really wasn't looking like the most competitive lineup the Caps have ever had or anything. They were doing well, but not blowing minds or anything, and also it was looking like Grubauer's year, Holtby was honestly looking a bit shaky in his games, definitely wasn't playing consistently and I remember actively feeling a bit more confident when Gruby was between the posts.

Playoffs start and although we win the Metro, we lose our first two games. I figured maybe we wouldn't even get to the second round, which maybe isn't the worst thing since I know this feeling of facing the Pens in the 2nd round all too well. But you are right, after that OT goal, it felt like maybe the Caps were showing up with the desperation needed to win in the playoffs. I thought that series against the Pens was over before it started, I wasn't ready for us to win, but it looked like the Caps just found their speed, managed to really gel as a team in a way I haven't seen in the post season. I was honestly happy enough to have just broken the 2nd round curse, and I thought there was a good chance we would get swept by the absolutely formidable Lightning. I mean that team just fucking DOMINATED for most of the year, just so much talent on that team it's a bit unfair. Beating them seemed unreal. And then facing Vegas. History making Vegas. A team that made such quick work of every other team they faced. I thought this was surely it for us, especially after we lost the first game. At no point did I think we would then have 4 straight wins out of what looked like sheer willpower and desperation. This series was some of the most intense and desperate hockey I have ever seen. I feel like any viewer who wasn't a fan of either team and didn't have to stress-watch the games probably got to see and genuinely enjoy some incredible hockey.

Anyways that's my rant. I'm happy.

AdamMaz and JD27 like this.
  7. technomancer

Yeah that second round facing the weakest defense the Pens have fielded in a LONG time and a shaky Murray didn't hurt either :lol: That said I was really not expecting a 4-1 win against Vegas, Caps looked crazy good.

8. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

Can you imagine what the after-party was like, being in Las Vegas? :eek: :partyhat: :cheers:

9. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

What a shit show in Ottawa. What a sad career Duchene will have :lol:

Lets talk trades, draft and UFA... what is everyone's hopes and expectations?

10. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Haven't been following, what's going on with the Sens? Is something happening with Karlsson?

11. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

12. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars SS.org Regular

I just hope the Stars don't suck next year...

Texas Stars made it all the way to game 7 of the Calder Cup Final tonight, lost pretty hard to the Marlies though. I have season seats next year, will be seeing a lot more hockey.

13. technomancer

Yeah that whole thing is insane...

I'm just hanging out to see what the Pens do as far as trades and free agency. Their first pick is #53 in the second round so not a huge amount of excitement there.

Brassard seemed like a bust for the Pens, but is expected to still be around next year. Sprong has been labeled as a piece of the team for next year which likely means Rutherford will sign him to a one way deal, Sullivan will refuse to play him, and he'll end up traded for bag of pucks like Pouliot. The defense needs some help and they have a contract that will be hard to get rid of in Hunwick.

14. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

Galchenyuk for Domi... kind of surprised this happened, but am open to it. A change of scenery should do them both good, moreso for Domi.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  15. technomancer

Yeah interesting trade, really curious to see how Domi does next season.

16. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

Very sad to see him go. Considering where the Habs were at the time we drafted him, he had enormous expectations to be the future of this team and was looking great the first couple of seasons. I will always remember this great play... also his celebration is when I "fell in love":

I've been reading reports that he had one of those very nosy hockey dads giving him (individual) feedback in between periods via text messaging and after games... would completely explain what stunted his development.

Even despite that Max Domi's father was a Leaf, I loved Tie Domi during the infancy of my hockey-consciousness. I am liking this trade more and more.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    AxeHappy and technomancer like this.
  17. technomancer

Yeah was sort of surprised to see this as I know the Pens had some serious talks about Domi and Tie and Mario are really good friends. The kid is definitely a good player, hopefully he can find more success with the Habs.

AxeHappy likes this.
  18. technomancer

And Trotz is going to be the new Islanders head coach. This was really not a smart move by the Caps :2c:

Their GM talking about him wanting top 5 coach money when his record over the last 4 years is the best in the NHL and he just won the Cup was pretty damn funny...

AxeHappy likes this.
  19. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

I think Reirden will work just fine. He was already in line to replace Trotz and the team already respects him. The players, especially on the defense have spoken openly about how much he has helped them. Trotz may have won the cup, but lets not forget in the 17 years he coached, this is the only time he even made it out of the 2nd round. His also does not handle young players very well, which the Caps will be depending on more in the near future. See he handling of Schmidt and Vrana and Forsberg in Nashville.

20. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

I am now assuming that Tavares won't be going anywhere.