NGD: Need new pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Zender, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Zender

Zender Tinkering, please hold.

Hi all,

As of yesterdya, I'm the owner of a 2010 Epiphone Les Paul siverburst. Second hand and in need of some TLC. My inital idea was to get a Gibson silverburst. I will stripping her of all components (leave the paint!) and going for the best she can be. As I'm quite good with a soldering iron I will solder my own electronics, a (real) bone nut will be cut, bridge and stop tail will also be renewed. Only the tuners will remain from the original hardware. They're Grovers, and I don't 'need' locking tuners. I won't be going for coil splitting and all that stuff, just good solid electronics.

But, I'm still on the fence about the pickups. What I do want is to retain the "nickel covers" look, so this limits the choices a bit. My first thought was a JB (SH-4) and Jazz (SH-2N) set. Classic, but good. There is a bit of a budget (around 200-ish), and I don't feel the need for a pair of fishmans or lundgrens or whatever.

As the guitar (and finish) might already hint at. It will be used for Tool covers. But also for clean stuff and your typical rock-with-a-Les-Paul such as Zeppelin. I already have a high-gain monster with Gravity Storms that really sings, so I'll be looking for something a bit more subtle. Ballsey, but not muddy, I hate mud.

Guitar body is mahogany, with a carved alder top (why epiphone, why) and a mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard (again, why... should have been ebony).

Looking forward to your suggestions, and maybe, just maybe, someone here already has the same guitar and a great setup. :)

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Sticking with the Duncan vibe, another underrated sounding pickup is their 59/hybrid.
    Pairs brilliantly with their normal 59 neck.

also, the Alt 8 is a very different and interesting beast. Neither should have mud

Fortin Worship likes this.
  3. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

Well as you said JB/jazz is a good option, I was going to say go with the other iconic LP set Dimarzio Super D and a PAF. But since you called Gravity Storms high gain maybe a pair of PAFs, 36th Anni or standard.

4. Zender

Zender Tinkering, please hold.

Well okay, Gravity storm are not high gain, but it is what I use them for, they don't fuzz out as the really high gain stuff. I really like them actually. But two guitars with the same pickups would be a bit strange. And as I have a "Dimarzio" guitar, a "Seymour" would probably make sense for something completely different.

That, or BKP or something else they build on this side of the Big Drink.
    That 59 hybrid is interesting. Never looked into it.

So after some looking and listening I somehow also now find myself looking at a Sentient/Pegasus set. (And ditch the nikkel covers..) But I wonder how good that set would be in clean stuff.

HOWEVER When poking around in the garage, I found an old (not that old unfortunately, less than a decade) JB without covers I seem to have forgotten. Might as well put that one in, so the search is now limited to just a neck pickup to combine with the JB

- Pegasus
    - Jazz
    - ???

5. Fortin Worship

Fortin Worship SS.org Regular

Custom 5 / Jazz
    59-custom hybrid / jazz or 59
    You might could find a used set of Gibsons

The 498T & 490R are a good set IMO

lewis likes this.
  6. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I've seen many different neck pickups coupled with a JB. Obviously the Jazz is the natural choice, however, most tend to like to use a 59 in the neck for Les Paul's. It really depends what you want in terms of tone/vibe. I tend to prefer neck pickups with a little more mids than the 59 and Jazz offer.

I currently have an Alnico 2 Pro in the neck coupled with a JB in my ESP E-II Mystique. It has a nice musically rich and warm tone with a decent mid-range and a little bit of high end sparkle. My favourite Duncan neck pickup that I've played is probably the Pearly Gates; but i haven't played one in years, so I'm not sure if it'd still be my favourite. The PG is a little tighter in the low end, has more midrange (which I prefer), and is brighter in the treble when compared to the A2 Pro. I tend to really like Alnico 2 magnets, especially for neck pickups--which both the A2 Pro and PG have.

I own a couple Sentient neck pickups (a 6 and 7-string version) and they are pretty cool--kind of a mix between a Jazz and 59. The Sentient can be a touch bland at times though; however, it's pretty good at cleans and can give you some decently liquid high gain lead tones. I think the Sentient is best for prog and tech-metal styles as it produces really clean/clear note expression and definition so that you clearly hear every note.