NGD: Martin Acoustic

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by Blasphemer, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

Pics first:

2018-12-05 15.45.43.jpg 2018-12-05 15.46.07.jpg

It's a Martin GPCPA4.
    I had a friend come over the other night to talk over some stuff he's going through. Giving away no information, he offered to sell me this acoustic at an unbelievably low price, so I accepted.

There is a ding in the body on the bass side of the lower bout (can be seen in the 2nd picture), but other than that, this thing is pretty clean. It came with a case and all of the associated case candy. I'm super stoked because I've been wanting an acoustic with active electronics for a while, mostly to record with. I didn't expect a high-priced Martin to essentially fall into my lap, though!

The top is sitka spruce and the body is sapele, which has a similar look and tone to mahogany. The neck and bridge are Richlite, which is a composite Martin (and other companies, I believe?) are using to replace Ebony and Rosewood due to CITES, as far as I understand it. It feels quite a bit like rich ebony, but is definitely noticeable that it has no grain when you're right up on it.

The Fishman F1 Analog system sounds nice. There is a built in tuner, a tone knob which acts as a mid scoop, and a level which also acts as a polarity reverse when pushed in. It has that squaky, super bright piezo sound, so I may look to a decent acoustic preamp/DI in the future. Going through a Radial J48 still delivers plenty useable results, though.

Acoustically, the guitar is nice and punchy. The low end and mids are very present, and the highs are nice and sparkly. Putting a mic in front of this thing sounds nice, but I don't have any super-nice small diaphragm condensers or a silent room, so I can only imagine it'd be even nicer with better circumstances.

All and all, I'm quite happy with it, and it's nice to be plucking away and some acoustic stuff, again!

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Gaaaaaaaaah so much GAS for Martins right now. HNGD

3. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Super nice, congrats!

4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Congrats! Is this the kind of thing where said friend may buy it back at a later date?

5. scratchNdentPrestige

scratchNdentPrestige SS.org Regular

Congrats on the guitar - looks really nice!

6. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

No, he just straight up sold it. He's one of the biggest gear flippers I know, so he's not going to miss it :lol:

7. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Sounds like a win for you then! Enjoy :yesway:

Blasphemer likes this.
  8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Nice!

9. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Are you sure that's a Martin? It looks like a Taylor to me. :fawk:

J/K HNGD!