NGD: Mahogany Martin Edition

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by TedEH, Jan 23, 2019.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

It's a Martin D-15M!

My birthday recently passed, as well as Xmas, etc., so this time of year is usually my "lets buy myself something nice" time. :lol: I've been digging around for a new acoustic for a while, so I finally pulled the trigger on the Martin I've been talking about in another thread. Martin won't ship here in the winter, but they had one in stock at an L&M in Toronto, so that's the one I ended up with.

It basically does all the things I wanted in an acoustic - it's easier to play than the one I had. I get along really great with the neck shape. It's less nasally/boxy sounding that the old one. It's still got lots of low end. In store I wouldn't have described it as "bright" but it's definitely brighter than the previous acoustic I had. I suppose a good way to describe it is that the previous one I owned was very forward - in your face, bold, hard not to hear it - whereas this guitar sort of sounds like you took the general idea of the previous acoustic, scooped out the nasally/boxy part of the sound, and compressed it into a more personal kind of sound. Something about the mahogany makes the sound very "personal" in the sense that the body resonates a lot instead of projecting everything forward - it sort of feels like you're enveloped in the sound instead of it being projected ahead of you. You could sit quietly in a room full of people and play quietly to yourself with this, as opposed to some guitars that would just be loud and obnoxious. A side effect is that it's a bit less dynamic, but in kind of a good way. Playing some light finger style stuff is very audible, but digging in or strumming hard isn't obnoxiously loud.

Balanced is a great word for this guitar. It's like you took the sound of an acoustic in my head and processed it already. You hear every string clearly - there's lots of low end but not in a way that overpowers the rest of the sound.

The only downside - the action (same as pretty much any Martin I've ever tried) is a bit high out of the box. It's not so high that it bothers me, but I know it could be improved upon. L&M offers one free setup any time you buy another guitar, but I think the adjustments I'd want are outside of what I'd trust a box store to do. I plan on waiting a bit and if I decide I still want the action changed, I'll bring it to a tech that I trust.

If I find some time, I'll record some clips, maybe in comparison to the previous acoustic I had.

I didn't have time to get out a good camera and take good/fancy photos, but here it is in front of a pile of other instruments:

guitars.jpg

2. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Congrats man.

Yeah like you say, it def doesn't project like something like a spruce top. I think it sounds woody. It's kinda its own thing both in sound and looks I think.

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

During my trying-all-the-acoustics shopping adventure, I concluded that I'd also like to own a Taylor some day. This guitar feels like the antithesis of a Taylor though, and that's a part of what I like about it. I still have my previous acoustic if I ever really need that in-your-face projection.

4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Niiiiiice, man! That thing looks great. I can't wait to hear how it tracks!

5. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Gotta love a Martin, congrats!

6. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

A good acoustic is a great time. Enjoy many years with it!

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

8. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Congrats, man. I know you put a lot of time into researching this one.

TedEH likes this.
  9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

On really shitty earbuds, that sounds nice and clear and full. :yesway:

TedEH likes this.
  10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Sometimes I've noticed that "shitty earbuds" can make stuff sound good cause they cut out all the low end where things start to get sketchy haha.

11. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I wish more did that...my Bose bluetooth speaker breaks up from heavy bass buzz, when what I want when it's fully cranked is volume.

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

An interesting observation I made the other day from this clip - if I focus on it, I can pretty clearly hear a really high octave of the notes being played. It's something that didn't exist within the sound (harmonic content?) of the previous acoustic, or at least not in such a clear way.