NGD Jackson Juggernaut Pro Series II: this time its personal

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by zarg, Jan 11, 2018.

1. zarg

zarg guitar nerd

this is kind of a follow up on my NGD on the HT7 Pro.

I got this a while ago now but wanted to make sure its good enough. I really enjoyed the seven stringed version of it, but I was constantly on the fence with it. It was in its original box tree times before and I just wanted it to go at some point. After the initial little faults got taken care of, the action wasn't even that low but it buzzed so much that I heard it through the amp.... so it went back. Maybe the scale length being unusual to me also but me off. But - I'm glad I sent it back. (btw, the issue was the neck having no relief and no more truss rod adjustment was possible to fix it, heavier strings was not an option to me since I already had pretty heavy ones on there to try and fix it)

I've decided to take a bit of a break of sevens for now since I can always play the seven string schecter that the drummer of my band has and pretty much never plays. Even though it went back, I absolutely love how it looks (except the gloss finish), the shaping, the neck profile and feel, the ebony board and the pickups.

That's why I decided to go with the six string version of it. Wow, totally blown away. It's so nice and perfectly set up.... no scratchy pots, perfectly smooth and polished frets, no fret ends sticking out at all. The Neck feels just right to me (so smooth and fast) and everything is specced like I'd spec my custom guitar if I were to order one from any custom shop. It plays and sounds just amazing. Resonates very nicely. Its setup with 11-56 for drop C and it can go a bit lower and cover some basic seven string material too, and it sounds way better than the seven string I had in that tuning (B standard). I might get a BKP Juggernaut for the bridge later down the road, but so far it's been great.

Overall: I'm finally happy! It feels like it should have felt the first time I got the Jackson Juggernaut.

PS: this is not hating the HT7, I simply received a bad one.

2017-10-08_16.23.39.jpg

Attached Files:

M3CHK1LLA, NickS, Vyn and 6 others like this.
  2. sezna

sezna undermotivated

Happy NGD! Does this not come with a Jugg in the bridge? I thought it did.

I see you've embraced the guitar already (looking at your profile pic).

zarg likes this.
  3. zarg

zarg guitar nerd

thank you. yeah total embracement! I wanted to make sure it lasts over the very first honeymoon phase before commiting and it did.

It comes with Jackson made pickups, they are specially designed for this model though. Considering I got this guitar for only 611€ new, I guess you can't expect actual BKPs in there.

4. sezna

sezna undermotivated

Fair. Are they modeled after Juggs? They sure look like it.

5. zarg

zarg guitar nerd

sort of. I can't compare them to the actual ones but they lend themselves to a sound in that same ballpark (tight, chunky), not super aggressive though.

6. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

They are Jackson MM1 pickups, which as far as I know are just generic high output import ceramic humbuckers.

7. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Im assuming the MM1 means Misha Mansoor 1 as he talked about custom designing the pickups for the model.

zarg likes this.
  8. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

How is the fretwork on this? I've heard these, like any Indo guitar, have been hit or miss.

9. zarg

zarg guitar nerd

very good for this price point. no sharp edges, nicely polished. They're not to the point where you can't feel a single thing when you run your hand up and down, but it's not at all uncomfortable. The fretboard is slightly rounded off too, which makes it feel a lot better.

10. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

Wait, did it come with 11-56 in Drop-C? Because when i was researching my HT6, the USA ones came with 11-56 in Drop-C, and the Pro came with 9-42 in standard tuning. I was even thinking about getting a pro as well to have as a standard tuned guitar.

11. zarg

zarg guitar nerd

It came with 9s in standard from the factory but I asked the seller if they could set it up for me with my favorite strings, I paid for a string pack and a 20€ fee.

So you can totally get yourself a pro series HT6 and have it as your standard guitar with no further actions needed :)

12. MegaTones

MegaTones SS.org Regular

You paid someone 20 euro to put strings on and change the neck relief/action/intonation?

I need to get in to the guitar setup business :lol:

TheRileyOBrien likes this.
  13. Boojakki

Boojakki SS.org Regular

And filing the nut correctly I assume... Not everyone has the tools and expertise to do such things, so nothing wrong with letting a guitar tech doing it. And 20 Bucks is more than fair for this, I think. :rolleyes:

14. zarg

zarg guitar nerd

yup! could've done everything myself but cutting nutslots is something I'm not very familiar with and I don't have any tools. Maybe I could've done the "sandpaper wrapped around string" method but this way I could make sure to have something solid. And considering someone probably worked almost half an hour on that it seems very fair. When I go out to customers to fix servers etc. we charge 120€ per hour without tax :shrug:

Petar Bogdanov, JimF and Dineley like this.
  15. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

Nice guitar! Glad you got the Jackson you wanted!

zarg likes this.
  16. MegaTones

MegaTones SS.org Regular

I'm also in technology and have similar oncall rates depending on the job, so I get where you're coming from there. If it's not your area of expertise, I get that you might not want to do it.

TheRileyOBrien, JimF and zarg like this.
  17. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

HNGD! I keep eyeing this off, it's possibly my favourite looking Jackson 6

zarg likes this.
  18. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Very awesome! Glad to see you ended up grabbing on of these, I remember you were talking about it in another thread. The white is my favorite looking of all the pro series. I would really like to know if it's possible to just drop in a hipshot bridge to replace the Jackson one. How well does it stay in tune? I'm always nervous with in house tuners on these cheaper models.

zarg likes this.
  19. zarg

zarg guitar nerd

I've read somewhere on the web that someone swapped the HT7 bridge to a hipshot and it was a direct fit, I also thought of doing that later down the road - but for now I have to dial back on new gear. Maybe shooting jackson an e-mail could work, I don't know if they'll tell you that kinda stuff but they should.
    It stays it tune really well for me, there's nothing wrong with the jackson tuners.

yeah, the white is very nice. I might pick up a HT7 again if they come with satin finishes at some point