NGD Jackson HT7 Pro

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by zarg, Dec 21, 2017.

1. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

Would be a shame to write off a model of guitar you clicked with so well over a minor electronics issue.

2. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

Would be a shame to write off a model of guitar you clicked with so well over a minor electronics issue.

3. zarg

zarg guitar and computer nerd

true true, but the finish options are not the best... if the 7 came in matte white/gunmetal grey I'd be all over it. I'll think about it ;)

JimF likes this.
  4. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

It’s funny cos I’m the opposite! In the market for a 6 string and looking at the matte grey & matte white thinking nah.

zarg likes this.
  5. Albake21

Albake21 SS.org Regular

HNGD! I definitely plan on buying one of these in 2018. I'm just waiting for NAMM and hoping they make a satin one. Do you plan on keeping the pick ups or are you going to upgrade them eventually?

6. zarg

If I'd go for the HT7 again I'd swap at least the bridge PU for a Juggernaut and right now it looks like I'm going HT7 again!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    Albake21 likes this.
  7. zarg

sorry for double Post - I'm terrible at making decisions. So I can either get a Jackson HT7 Pro for 665€ or a KM7 MK I for 869€. I'd get a Juggernaut for the bridge pickup on the HT7. I think I will just go with the HT7 again since it felt so great and the neck on the KM7 is substantially wider at the nut which I struggle with. But stainless steel frets are nice, and actual hipshot bridge (although there should be no difference to the one on the HT7 that's modeled after the hipshot and just looks a bit different. But in the end I never really liked Schecters style, especially the MK I is still very much a schecter shape while the MK II would be really sick, but thats more than double the price. The Duncans are surely great but I really want to try the Juggs so yeah.... HT7 it is. Hopefully getting it very soon and then I'm going to order at bareknuckle :yesway:

on a complete other end: Jakes signature is just amazing too. has sick dimarzios, classy matte color and all the specs but it has a floating trem, won't touch that with a 10 foot pole.

8. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

This is insane to me. Why are your only options signature guitars? Why not get something that wasn't designed by and for someone else and make it your own thing? The indonesian HT7 is fairly generic, in that the features that really make it Misha's are absent: No SS frets, rosewood board I think, Jackson pickups, 16" radius fretboard. It's literally just a generic 7 string RG with 1" extra on the scale length.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1999-Ibanez...444530?hash=item3f8e4e6ef2:g:rowAAOSwn45ZwHCq

Why not get something like that, which would be like 350 euro, then you have a ton of money to do what you want to it and you still fall under the price point of the MII Jackson, but you get MIJ craftsmanship.

If you don't want used (that was just the first Ibanez model number I could think of, there's tons more), you can even get some of the new 7 string Iron Label/standard series stuff, which is indonesian made just like the Jackson, for less: https://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_rg7421_wnf.htm

Regardless, you buy what you want, and I have no business in that, just trying to show that there is so much more available for the same/less.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  9. Albake21

Albake21 SS.org Regular

I just don't see the point in getting the exact same guitar twice... Makes no sense. I will say the KM7 is miles better than the HT7 Pro. It has SS frets, much nicer pups, uses nicer woods, locking tuners, actual hipshot bridge and personally I think a hell of a lot better finish.

10. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

The KM7 is also targeting a different price point. The HT7 Pro does come with locking tuners (Jackson branded but still solid).

I can understand having multiples (different tunings or a spare if you're a touring musician). Some people are just comfortable with that one design of guitar.

11. Albake21

Albake21 SS.org Regular

Yeah that's fair. Personally for me, I try to play/own as many different guitars as I can. I want to try literally everything out there because you never know what you'll like until you play it. For example, I took a huge chance on my Kiesel Aries 6. Their normal neck is typically too thick to my liking, but because of the quality and the shape, I absolutely love it.

12. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

jake always blocks his flloyd anyway. so just block the floyd. i'd take the jbm. definitely wouldn't do the km mki.

Albake21 likes this.
  13. Albake21

Albake21 SS.org Regular

The only problem I personally have with floyds is that it's a total bitch to tune or change tunnings, whether it's blocked or not. Also keep in mind that the JBM's neck and the Jackson/Schecter necks are very different. But if you can put up with the floyd I'd also recommend the JBM.

14. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Wait you are returning the guitar you love for a volume pot?? I would just get it repaired when you put in that new pickup you want to swap in.

Most import guitars you're likely going to want to replace the pots shortly after purchasing, thats just the way it goes.

I hope you find something that gels with you, and like others have said don't look only at sig models there are lots of killer guitars out there, the guys in Periphery played normal guitars before they had sig models so don't be afraid of them.

15. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

How is a blocked Floyd hard to tune or change tunings on? Intonation is the only place I can see as an issue, but it's not like you wouldn't have to also change that on a standard bridge.

16. Albake21

Albake21 SS.org Regular

In my experience, when I had a blocked floyd, it still moved while tuning. So you still had to do one string at a time and keep tuning unil they were all close. Then from there, use the small pegs to fine tune.

17. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

If this happened, you likely didn't block it correctly (or with a dense enough material).

Floating bridges are by design not meant to accommodate different tunings, but I understand if that's important to you to maybe not get one.

Tuning is really just about patience. Lots of patience required, but the reward if you do it properly is rock solid tuning more or less till your strings break, which is worth it to me.

If you don't want to get fancy and block anything, you can literally just hold the bridge level-ish, tune it almost to pitch, let go, it will balance itself on some way, tune it to pitch (literally just check tuning on EADGBe, then again and again, should only take 3-4 quick passes)

Look at the bridge, if it's sunken, loosen the screws in the back maybe half a turn, flip it over, tune it up again, check how level the bridge is

Rinse and repeat this process a few times (normally only takes me an hour to fully remove my strings, clean up, polish my frets, and restring everything) and your bridge will be level. Lock the nut, make some quick adjustments with the fine tuners (clamping the locking nut will knock the tuning out a few cents), and you're done and stable as all hell.

18. zarg

yeah true, I actually got amazing customer service at the store I bought it at. they swapped the faulty pot and gave it a pro setup with my preferred string brand and gauge and shipped it to me via express so it should be here by tomorrow already. that customer service is insanely good. So I will be getting my HT7 back with fixes and I will stick with that. I just don't dig the schecter shape and the MK II is too expensive. I will be ordering a BKP Juggernaut next year and I'm excited!

yeah if its blocked it's exactly like a fixed bridge to me too, but blocking it either requires you to do some woodworking (creating woodblocks -> have no tools on hand) or spend some more cash on a tremel-no

19. Albake21

Albake21 SS.org Regular

Hmm, well I did the roll of coins technique, but this was a couple years ago. Haven't owned a Floyd since, although it makes me want to if it really does allow me to change tunings with a block. Also it was a fairly cheaper Floyd from an X series Jackson soloist.

20. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

It might have been the quality of the bridge or the block, I don't doubt that it was moving when you tried it, blocking the trem is always sort of magic if you're using something that isn't a dense wood cut to size or a set screw. I chopped up and old bank card, layered it, and taped it, which works just enough to make it so I don't have to hold the bridge with my hands haha