NGD Jackson HT7 Pro

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by zarg, Dec 21, 2017.

1. zarg

zarg guitar nerd

with it being christmas and all.... I just did it.

I wasn't perfectly happy with my harley benton and I will probably sell it soon, I wanted a seven string that is really amazing to be paired with my immaculate six string.

As a big fan of periphery and misha I looked at this guitar for a while (watching all kinds of videos) and decided to get it, the price performance ratio is really attractive.

So far I didn't spend a lot of time (a few hours) with it but it feels very solid. Love the shape and how comfy it feels when you play it, specs are great for the price. It plays really really good and sounds very good too, the stock pickups on it are nice so far, might not swap them at all. Love the ebony board and the overall aesthetics. the neck is very natural feeling and comfortable, pretty slim too! almost feels like a six string, which is a huge plus since I have an issue getting used to the significantly wider neck on the harley benton. the luminlays are a really nice touch and I like them a lot.

I'm usually not picky with guitars because I buy 99% of my guitars used and if they're bad I just resell them with pretty much no loss. But with a brand new one I have to be picky.
    The frets aren't polished well, quite scratchy to bend on some frets. Easily fixable, but still.... I think polishing frets is a PITA. Second thing is a scratchy volume pot, like when it's not plugged in and you just turn it.... but some electronics cleaner and a bunch of turns will smooth that out again. Not very happy with the color choices either, the blue one should be much lighter, a bit more like the us model, I would have gotten that instantly over this. but the black is pretty nice, just a bit boring maybe.

At first I thought that it will probably go back but after playing and hearing it I'm very surprised. We'll see how the next few days/weeks go.

Overall for the price it's a great instrument. thank you misha for thinking about the people with smaller wallets, too! it feels like a genuinely high quality instrument and I'm excited to have it and be part of the club.

(the pickups look a bit weird, probably the condensation as its a bit cold still)
    2017-12-21_19.00.28.jpg

2017-12-21_19.00.28.jpg DSC_1325.JPG DSC_1327.JPG DSC_1328.JPG DSC_1330.JPG DSC_1331.JPG

2. Boojakki

Boojakki SS.org Regular

HGND! I also recently got one of these in Oceanburst (I also own a grey HT6). Very comfortable guitars to play. Thanks again Misha for giving us affordable Juggernauts. ;)

zarg likes this.
  3. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Congrats man, I know Misha (and jackson) spent many hours trying to replicate his USA model as best they could without inflating the price too much. Sounds like he nailed it from the reviews I've seen.

zarg likes this.
  4. zarg

zarg guitar nerd

definitely! at that price point it's one of the best options. Prior to buying I basically read the whole thread on here (120+ pages) and I'm really happy to see misha communicating with fans so much and that added to the point you stated makes it really obvious that he cares a lot. class act :cheers:

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  5. zarg

zarg guitar nerd

sorry for my double post here but I'm just so excited about it. I played so long last night, I just couldn't put it down. The luminlays.... wow. Misha talks a lot about how great they are and they really make it a lot easier to play in a dim/dark setting. I'm really happy!
    After buying and selling about 30 guitars I found the six string that I want to hold on to, and this seems like the seven string I want to hold on to.

Hope everyone has wonderful holidays! I will have something to keep me company ;)

(heres a shot of the luminlays last night, I was blown away by them)
    PoeB7yP.jpg

Attached Files:

6. SlamLiguez

SlamLiguez Voidist.

Bonkers.

zarg likes this.
  7. Glades

Glades Down in the Everglades

How do you like the neck profile?

Being used to Ibanezes, I found this neck a bit too chunky. It's got a pretty healthy C profile.

8. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Honest question, how do you guys all seem to go through so many guitars? Like... 30 guitars is a LOT of guitars to go through, only to find out some superstrat with glowing side dots is the grail

Strobe likes this.
  9. zarg

zarg guitar nerd

It's as you said thicker than my Ibanez with its wizard neck but because it does not have big shoulders I don't mind it at all. it's very comfortable so far (I have large hands, keep that in mind). the width at the nut is way less than my previous seven string which makes it feel closer to a six string which I played for three years prior to getting a seven. The finish on the back of the neck is smoother than any other neck, I usually give my necks a treatment with some 600 grit sandpaper to roughen them up a bit but this was perfect right out of the box.

10. zarg

zarg guitar nerd

buying used, selling it again for pretty much the same price. you just keep searching for the one guitar you like the most.... its like tone tweaking, if you don't restrain yourself a bit and tell yourself that there is no 100% perfect this search can go on forever. basically the endless GAS and everytime you get a new one you get so excited and honestly it's kind of addicting.... especially bad for me because I have no one that stops me from being irresponsible, lol.

I won't say its the grail but it's the best seven string I played that is in my price range.

Toxin likes this.
  11. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

HNGD!

I've got the blue one and it's such a solid rig that I'm thinking of getting another one. For the price point it's a wicked guitar. Agreed on the pickups, I personally don't think they need changing they seem to suit it rather well which for OEM pickups is awesome!

zarg likes this.
  12. zarg

zarg guitar nerd

true! though I'm thinking about getting a Bareknuckle just for the bridge to try them out, sadly never had the chance to try them before. Now that there will be some new 2018 models of the HT6/HT7 I might try my luck at getting the money together for a USA Model, we'll see how it goes! honestly, the specs and looks on this are just perfect to me and if I were to order custom from anyone, I'd end up damn close to this anyways!

13. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

There like Pokemon, gotta catch em all.

zarg likes this.
  14. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Witchcraft and Occult Riffs

Congrats man

zarg likes this.
  15. chipchappy

chipchappy SS.org Regular

Over a long enough timeline - its not as hard to do as you'd think.

Experiment, take note of what features you like, buy used, and never ever trade your guitar in for cash at GC. Pretty manageable actually.

16. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Maybe it's just cause I didn't have a lot of cash when I was like 14-20 but I've had 5 guitars total in 13 years, and it seems plenty lol.

A lot of people on SSO come across more as traders than players, but that's certainly not my call to make. I think I avoid that whole thing cause I just hate meeting people from Craigslist/Kijiji in person to buy/sell things :rofl:

17. wildchild

wildchild SS.org Regular

Congrats nice one
    thanks for sharing your thoughts
    Got me gassing for one!!!

zarg likes this.
  18. stratjacket

stratjacket Lost in a loop

Congrats, I don’t think the black is boring, looks pretty cool.

19. zarg

zarg guitar nerd

sad news, remember the scratchy volume pot I mentioned? now the sound is completely gone. It's already on the way back to the store, they said they don't have replacement until about mid January when they get another shipment and offered me to wait or a refund. Went with the refund and now I will either buy it somewhere else where its in stock or get a KM7. Never really liked schecter but the spec on it is insane.... I first wanted to get a USA HT7 since I really love the design of it and even though there's one really cheap on ebay, I can't afford spending that much right now.... so.... KM7? we'll see, maybe a NGD next week.

20. vertibration

vertibration SS.org Regular

Get the HT7, the problem is its a crapshoot. Some are perfect, some have cracked ebony fretboards that are small but noticable, some have tooling on the edges of the frets with sharp fret edges, some have microphonic pickups, or in your case an issue with the pots.

Here's the thing. If you can land one with a perfect neck, just bring it to a tech to put in new pickups and pots if you have another issue. The KM7 is great, but they have poor pots too, and I can attest because I owned one.

I would give the HT7 another try, and look closely at the neck