NGD - I'm On Icy Cloud Nine

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by ThePIGI King, Jun 30, 2018.

1. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Death Will Reign

Because this is SSO, pics first:

Box.jpg
    D'Angelico?

Bubble Wrap.jpg
    That box had to have lied...

RG9.jpg
    Yep, lying box!

So I just got this yesterday, but as I had yesterday off, I've already had ~5hrs play into this thing. Snagged this off GC used for a price I was actually willing to pay, let's face it, the $900 it goes for new is a little steep for what it really is.

Guitar Center didn't make it known to me before purchase, but this thing does have some cosmetic damage. First, because ERG's don't always fit in the hangars GC has on their walls, it has rub marks on the neck around the nut area:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  2. ThePIGI King

Didn't mean to create the thread yet, still getting used to the new system, and I misclicked.

Anyway, neck damage/rubber rubbed off:
    Neck Damage.jpg

And then it has a gouge in the body towards the end of the lower horn

Gouge.jpg

Almost looks like someone thought the cable should go there and jabbed it really hard :lol:

And then when I unboxed it the nut was hanging on by a thread.

Other than that I'd say this guitar is pretty good.

Cons:
    Pickup placement - I'd have thought Ibanez would shove the neck pup against the neck, and put a much smaller gap between the bridge and the bridge pup. The pickups ain't great, but they're better than my RG8s

The top on mine is more lackluster than some of the others, but that's hardly a big deal for me.

Pros:
    It's a lot easier to play than I'd have imagined. It took a couple minutes to adjust to the size of the neck. I'm having more trouble adjusting to the bridge being further back than anything else.

Sound - The 9th string sounds better than most people tend to cry about. I've not adjusted my patches on my HD500 to accommodate for this guitar yet, and it still sounds pretty good. Once I adjust my patches a bit I'm sure I'll like the tone even more.

Tension - I was nervous going into this because many Extended Rangers have made comments about 30" being too short for them, and needing massive strings. However, I'm getting good feel out of mine currently. I don't know the exact gauge of the strings on it, since it was used and my new strings aren't here yet, but I'd say its not very big. A bit smaller than my E on my bass. Maybe 28" is my sweet spot for 9s. However, I tune all my guitars standard.

Bridge - The bridge on this is the most comfortable fixed bridge I've ever laid my hand on.

Overall, this guitar is awesome. I'm happy with it, and wish there were more 9 string options out there. Especially by Ibanez. This will probably be the guitar I record all my rhythms with here soon once I start tracking my EP.

Thanks for reading!

Leviathus likes this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

any chance of seeing non-potato pics?

4. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

5. AC.Lin

AC.Lin Master of the 0-string guitar

The pics are frustrating me, hard.

slayer6699, Nlelith and Matt08642 like this.
  6. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

7. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

Hey we don't need that attitude, they charge extra for the blur job.

Type_R3387 likes this.
  8. ThePIGI King

Sorry for the pics, I dont own a camera and its been bad weather. I'll see what i can do about it.

9. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Hardly anyone has a camera anymore...you can take good shots with a shitty cameraphone, too.

Turn on as many lights as you can. The camera won't need to keep the "shutter" open so long to get a bright enough image, so it will end up less noisy and won't be so blurry.