NGD - Ibanez RG8FM with horrible Fret Buzz

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by binz, Jun 13, 2018.

1. binz

binz SS.org Regular

So my plan was to get a cheap RG8 on ebay, have it painted in my favorite color and add a new bridge pick up to have my personal "dream 8 on a budget". I have only come as far as the first step and got this RG8 with flamed maple top (FM) for 260€ on ebay:

[​IMG]

I am having a really hard time finding joy in playing this thing because it buzzez like a mo..f.. After reading some threads here about this issue, I set up new strings, I used E - 09, B - 11, G-16, D-26, A-36, E-46, B-64, Gb-72, where the high 7 are the same as I have on my 7 string which has a half inch shorter scale (26.5 schechter demon 7, this has 27") and works fine with these Gauges and tunings. The problem of the buzz is actually not on the low strings when playing open, but most on the middle A D and G strings which are closest to the fretboard, when a fret is pressed.

[​IMG]

I have set the bridge as high as the buzz is bearable. But now it is that you have to press the fret like a mo..f.. or else you get a buzz again. "Soloing" or "riffing" is fine but chords buzz for example. Also the height of the strings is already so high around the 12th fret such that its really no fun playing there anymore.

I also noticed that you can "detune" the string by pressing harder, is this supposed to be normal? On my 7 for comparison you cannot do that. I also cannot really say whether the buzzes are harder for the higher, middle or lower frets. So my conclusion would be that its not the neck but the Frets themselves that are kind of f*ed up.

The guy who was selling it on ebay said he had the Frets done by a pro. I am not sure if he tried to save whats not to save or if he was screwing things up in the end.

http://abload.de/image.php?img=img_20180613_155853xqk97.jpg
    http://abload.de/image.php?img=img_20180613_155924vsk73.jpg

I am a guitar noob, so I cannot tell anything from looking at this. But maybe you can judge better. Here is also the nut:

http://abload.de/image.php?img=img_20180613_155958jakjv.jpg
    http://abload.de/image.php?img=img_20180613_16001442kdz.jpg

Was I just really lucky with my used Schechter demon 7 that plays perfectly or am I just being very picky and this is actually super common?

2. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

How is the neck?

also:
    Yes.

3. binz

binz SS.org Regular

I made a short video to display the buzz. As you can see I am already pressing down hard and its still buzzing

And also here is one for the detuning by pressing harder. This is like half a step just from pressing harder, is this seriously normal?

Sorry I am not entirely sure what you mean by that. From what I can tell it looks straight. I also tried pressing somewhere an putting paper somewhere else or pressing first and 13th fret and see whether something fits in between, but I cannot really tell anything from this.

4. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

the way those saddles are angled, I would just have the neck shimmed. Take it to a shop, have them just do a setup, take a look at the nut, etc.

5. binz

binz SS.org Regular

Nevermind, the guy I was buying it from on ebay is an actual decent person and is willing to take it back (y)

6. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

You can’t set the action until you set the relief. Fret the D string at the first fret and around the 18th fret. Then look at how much gap there is between the bottom of the string and the 7th fret.

If you can stick a .009 string in the gap, there’s too much relief and you should tighten the rod. If there’s no gap, the neck is back bowed and you should loosen the rod.

Whether there’s too much or not enough relief, you end up with the action too high to avoid buzzing.

7. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

Always work from headstock to bridge - Nut height, truss rod bow/relief and then finally saddle height.

8. MaxAidingAres

MaxAidingAres SS.org Regular

I guess if you are returning it then no point in providing advice. However one thing to note is that it is just an rg8 and entry level 8 string. Used as well. What I mean is it probably needs fretwork especially if it never had it to begin with.