NGD: Harley Benton fan-fret baritone 6-string

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by NeiloMac, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Ivars V

Ivars V SS.org Regular

That headstock looks awful. Otherwise, I'd pick one up.

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

yeah its the weak point. It looks ok on the 8 string version but is a little of out place on the 6

3. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

I measured the pickups and it looks like EMGs will fit in the pickup routing but the control cavity itself has very little room for a battery so I'm not sure if an upgrade to active pickups is possible without additional routing.

Also, I got a set of SG381 incoming will let you guys know if they fit :) I popped out one of the tuners and measured it and it should be a direct replacement.

4. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

I agree it looks.. just.. weird:) Then again for €250 I can't really complain hehe.

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

what about the Fishman recharge battery pack?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

That looks even bigger but I can take a pic of the cavity when I get back home.

lewis likes this.
  7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

sweet thanks man!
    If you were to see how I crammed a battery in my Yamaha 6er hahaha
    Im sure its do-able....JUST.....

8. NeiloMac

NeiloMac SS.org Regular

I just popped the back off mine to see how a 9V would fit. Might be doable, but I imagine it might be a bit of a tight squeeze and involve some careful wiring management and whatnot. A battery by itself can definitely sit between the two pots (although the way the wiring is as stock means you can't put the back plate back on if you do that - you'd need to run the wires around the sides), but as far as whatever else you'd need to fit to make active pups work, I have no idea.

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

this bums me out

I was wanting to get the EMG RPC tone knob and the 57/66 set and its looking likely it might not all fit in the back......

Why the hell they did not offer their standard "crap" Active pickups in these, so at least we know replacements would fit fine.

Unless Im very very neat with wiring. It might be doable but just very very tight....

10. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

ok so Im going to presume that the cavity on this is the same size as it is on the 8 string version that I already own.

Here is a battery fit test.............. incredibly tight.
    Might JUST be do-able.

[​IMG]

11. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

hmmm interesting. So if we carefully drilled that out, we could JUST make this work...?

I think I still might pick one up and do everything I can to make it work. If not, at least Ive still only spent £220 on the guitar.
    I have a spare quick connect cable laying around so i can see If I can get the hole enlarged enough to use one without needing to have bought pickups/new wires first.

will potentially save me alot of money. Im only interested in having Actives in it though so could be abit of a nightmare...

13. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

trying to decide how to mod mine.

These are the options.
    What are the opinions on these? -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So basically keep it black and buy either the 57/66 set in Brushed chrome or brushed gold. Or a set of EMGs in white.

or switch all the hardware to gold and again change the pickups to the mentioned options /\

14. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

I like the black hardware with gold pups the best.

I looked if we could replace the bridge saddles with hipshot or abm single saddles but the saddle on the harley benton is much longer than either of those. You'll expose the old drill holes if you swap the bridge.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  15. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

i wonder what the heck they used then. Where can you buy these saddles that are the sizes they have used.

16. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

the actual saddle part looks like a standard saddle.
    Could always keep the part that screws to the body stock black, and just change the saddle to either gold or chrome? :)

17. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    lewis likes this.
  18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Good call!
    Also well done finding the single saddle bridges.
    Typically they dont offer gold ones. Im interested in their gold and chrome lockers with pearloid buttons too!!!.

19. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

Ok I just installed an EMG 81 in the bridge and it just slays lol. Compared to the stock pickups the 81 is much tighter on the lower strings. Output is roughly the same I feel. Sounds a bit more trebly on the high strings too, which I like :) Tone pot has this weird sweep going on, maybe it's a logarithmic taper instead of linear which I use. I didn't mind since I never use it anyway.

A couple of things to keep in mind when installing:
    - There's no room for the battery AND the pickup selector bus thingy. I disconnected the neck pickup since I don't use it anyways but no way a 2 pickup setup is going to fit without routing.
    - The quick connector barely fits through the hole, you have to put the 2 pin connector through first and then the 1 pin connector cable second.
    - EMG pots were a direct swap with the old pots (I think alpha? anyways they are 8 mm).
    - Also, the stock knobs fit on the EMG pots too (curled shaft).
    - Because of the direct mount you have to either put some foam under the EMG or cut the springs in half like I did. EMG screws were too long. Stock screws fit in the EMG but they were low quality so I might swap it out for shorter screws.
    - The EMG stereo jack was a direct swap with the stock jack, no problems there.

lewis likes this.
  20. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

This is invaluable information man. Thanks alot for this heads up.
    No way I want to just ignore the neck pickup because there is no room for a complete new EMG setup etc so thats pretty much a deal breaker for me personally.
    I figured the other things would be fine, it was just the room inside that cavity that was the main question mark.
    Shame and tbh, pretty damn stupid of Thomann to not think about that when designing it. Its not like having a larger route, would add more cost to the item. Their stock pickups even try and look like EMGs for goodness sake haha.

No way I want to tackle routing to make the cavity larger so it all fits. Guess I will have to pass on it. Real shame because I know they play great. Whats annoyed me is I was planning on doing all this to my 8 string version too. The cavities are the same size so sadly it probably means I cant do the upgrade with that either which was my main idea....

annoying.